Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Chips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2004 | 01:12 PM
|
Chips

Has anyone used touch up paint to fill in chips? My infiniti dealer has a kit you can buy that includes touch up paint, and some substance you rub on the touch up paint after it dries to wear down the bumps and get it to blend in with the rest of the paint.

Old 03-15-2004 | 04:17 PM
Re: Chips

I just bought the paint from grubbs infiniti too. I also bought the langka kit. I am waiting for a warmer day to try it out.

Old 03-15-2004 | 04:25 PM

depending on your color you can expect descent results from the touch up paint....
On my ivory pearl, it's a two stage paint...base coat/clear coat w/pearl so its a little more difficult to match the paint...

no chip will completely disappear...but it will help in "blending" the color to a large extent....Lots of luck...<font color=blue>2old4this</font color=blue>

04 cpe IP/willow/5at/prem/18's/JDM clear corners/Piaa's/MTEC H4 Super White fog/highs

Old 03-15-2004 | 05:58 PM

I got the touch up paint from the dealer and it was suprizingly cheap (under $4), color match is excellent too, for TB. The stuff you rub on to remove excess paint sounds like Lanka. That stuff really works, but if you have metalic paint then it doesn't come out too good since it removes the excess paint but left behind are the metal particles, so it looks lighter and very metalic looking. You sould should do a base coat of the touchup paint then apply a top coat of clear coat then hit it with the Lanka and that gives pretty good results. The finish comes out smooth and level with the original paint, but the color will most likely be a little off, but for the most part it's pretty good results for a do-it-yourself job. It's hard work though, you have to rub pretty hard for a while before it starts to knock down the excess paint.

Old 03-16-2004 | 01:07 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

"the stuff that you rub" is called Compound.

It is necessary to get a smooth finish. Be careful with it though, compound is very powerful and could scratch your good paint.

I use 3M finishing compound with my nissan touch up paint

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake

Old 03-16-2004 | 02:27 PM

actually lanka is not a compound per say, it is a solvent that works only on the touchup paint and not the original paint. It cuts through the touchup paint and knocks it down to the level of the original paint but will not remove the original paint. It will also completely remove touchup paint if you do it long enough. I think they said touch up paint contains lacquer which the lanka removes, but OEM paint does not contain any lacquer so it wont affect it.