Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Best way to clean headliner on 07+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best way to clean headliner on 07+

Forgive me if this needs to go into a generic part of the site, since I didn't know if the 08 liner is different than previous years and models. I just had my G35 in the dealer's shop for a service and apparently the mechanic must have touched the fabric headliner and left a spot (either oil or grease).

Its a small spot but natch my eye goes right to it. I don't want to make it worse or bigger by using the wrong cleaner or technique so I thought I would ask for suggestions on both from the collective wisdom here. So... what would be the best way to remove the spot? Thanks in advance!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I was told once that there is cardboard in headliners and getting them excessively wet can be a very bad idea. Thats all I know

Old 04-03-2008, 01:50 AM
I use baby wipes on mine, don't know if I should be but it works pretty well

Old 04-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Use 303 Spot Remover and dab lightly with an MF cloth.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Folex carpet and stain remover

Old 04-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Most any cleaner that will lift grease will do the job. It's preferable to use a white cloth such as a cotton terry towel so there won't be any transfer of colour. Dab the cleaner on, let a sit for a bit and rub with light-moderate force.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Woolite 1:10 ratio with a 2 damp terry cloth and a dry terry cloth. First spray one damp terry cloth lightly with the woolite mixture and then gentle start rubbing the area with the damp terry cloth and then use the other damp cloth to pick up the soap/dirt residue. Last blot it dry with the dry terry cloth.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:28 PM
This is the best method:

-Wrap a gentel bristled 2.5"X6" brush with a terry cloth.
-lightly mist your rag with a cloth cleaner and gently brush the surface. with the towel side
-this will help promote evenly distributed pressure on the surface
-then brush with a dry side of the towel to remove residue

Old 04-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks everyone!!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Headliners:
Require special care and attention, as cloth type headliners are assembled with foam backing and usually glued to a fibre roof panel. If the headliner becomes wet, it can cause the head liner to delaminate and fall down. An interior cleaner (303 TM Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner) should be used. Spray onto a terry towel and wipe very gently

Do not spray products directly onto head lining. Wipe lightly making sure not to leave headliner wet. Inspect and re-clean as necessary. It is better to clean twice, rather than to allow the head liner to get too wet. An alcohol based aerosol glass cleaner may also work for this operation because of its quick evaporation. Vinyl headliners should be cleaned the same way.

Methodology
•Lightly brush the headliner with a natural-latex sponge or a horsehair brush, they have very soft bristles that are gentle and is specially made for headliners or leather surfaces, this will loosen dust / dirt and make vacuuming easier (for very light dust or lint use a rolling lint brush)
•Do not use a stiff brush as you may snag or tear the headliner material
•Lightly vacuum the headliner to remove loose dust
•Spray 303 CM Cleaner & Spot Remover on to a 100% cotton terry towel
•Cleaning the headliner a quarter section at a time, use very light and even pressure on the towel to work the cleaner into the fabric. Do not saturate the material or use much pressure on the towel
•Use a fresh, clean damp, 100% cotton terry towel to remove the soil / dirt
•Frequently rinse the towel in clean warm water to ensure all dirt I soil is removed
•If the vehicle is fitted with a sunroof, open it a couple of inches, as dust build up at the front edge.
•Clean this area before closing the sunroof and proceeding to the rear of the sunroof.

Duragloss 451 Fabric & Carpet Cleaner Aerosol Foam (FC) - a blend of surfactants, which gently foam away soil, oil and grease from fabric and carpet surfaces.

Spot cleaning - can be done without leaving rings on fabrics, carpet and velour - http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/...oView_248.html.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Headliners:
Require special care and attention, as cloth type headliners are assembled with foam backing and usually glued to a fibre roof panel. If the headliner becomes wet, it can cause the head liner to delaminate and fall down. An interior cleaner (303 TM Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner) should be used. Spray onto a terry towel and wipe very gently

Do not spray products directly onto head lining. Wipe lightly making sure not to leave headliner wet. Inspect and re-clean as necessary. It is better to clean twice, rather than to allow the head liner to get too wet. An alcohol based aerosol glass cleaner may also work for this operation because of its quick evaporation. Vinyl headliners should be cleaned the same way.

Methodology
•Lightly brush the headliner with a natural-latex sponge or a horsehair brush, they have very soft bristles that are gentle and is specially made for headliners or leather surfaces, this will loosen dust / dirt and make vacuuming easier (for very light dust or lint use a rolling lint brush)
•Do not use a stiff brush as you may snag or tear the headliner material
•Lightly vacuum the headliner to remove loose dust
•Spray 303 CM Cleaner & Spot Remover on to a 100% cotton terry towel
•Cleaning the headliner a quarter section at a time, use very light and even pressure on the towel to work the cleaner into the fabric. Do not saturate the material or use much pressure on the towel
•Use a fresh, clean damp, 100% cotton terry towel to remove the soil / dirt
•Frequently rinse the towel in clean warm water to ensure all dirt I soil is removed
•If the vehicle is fitted with a sunroof, open it a couple of inches, as dust build up at the front edge.
•Clean this area before closing the sunroof and proceeding to the rear of the sunroof.

Duragloss 451 Fabric & Carpet Cleaner Aerosol Foam (FC) - a blend of surfactants, which gently foam away soil, oil and grease from fabric and carpet surfaces.

Spot cleaning - can be done without leaving rings on fabrics, carpet and velour - http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/...View_248.html.
Was this copied and pasted or do you always right like this? HAHAHA

Old 09-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume this process would be the same for any year G. Thanks for all the info. I hope it works! I got tire scuff marks all over my headliner from the tire shop putting my tires in my back seat and its driving me nuts.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gte959s
Was this copied and pasted or do you always right like this? HAHAHA
It's copied and pasted from “Automotive Detailing Inside & Out, A Knowledge Base for the Perfectionist"– by Jon Miller

Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
a damp microfiber with very light wiping action, to not imbed the dirt. Worked wonders on my 03 headliner. Youwould be surprised how much "smog" had mad a track on either side of the driver and passenger side from having the window down...now I know how my lungs feel.