Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Crystal Guard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2004 | 04:20 PM
|
Crystal Guard

I've had my G for 7 weeks and so far have applied 3 coats of Crystal Guard. Today, I decided to apply the 4th coat of Crystal Guard because I have noticed on 2 occasions, that the water has not beaded when washing the car around 2 weeks after the last application. I know that I am applying it correctly and wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this too.

I just wonder if I'm getting the protection that the company claims.

2004 Coupe/DG/Graph/5AT/Premium/CB/ and CG Baby!

Old 04-04-2004 | 10:41 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Re: Crystal Guard

Hm... I never had this problem. G35girl, how about you?

I typically applied two-three coats over a few days when I did CG it. That lasted long enough that from May through December, I only had to do it twice. I added a "vanity" coat whenever I washed it, too. I didn't even get half way through my bottle by doing that. I forgot it in Indy, though, so I got some Zaino out here in Vegas to compare the two.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 04-05-2004 | 09:41 AM
|

I'm usually washing my car for the second time in about a 2 week time period and I noticed that while rinsing down the car, their are no water beads, just sheeting. I bring the car in the garage, apply crystal guard to the car and to the microfiber towel being used to spread it. I then pull the car back out to the driveway, rinse down as directed. The car then forms beads and puddles all over the car. I can tell that visually I have not missed any part of the car. But, I am fairly confident that in another 2 weeks, I will not see the beading.

Can it be the soap I'm using? I use Meguiars car wash concentrate in the red bottle.

Old 04-05-2004 | 12:46 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

I don't rinse after the CG application, as it takes a while to cure it. I wash the car, then while it's still wet I apply a coat of CG to a body panel, move to the next and repeat, then go back and lightly dry the first one with a dry microfiber. Perhaps this is the kink that's causing you a problem?

G

Old 04-05-2004 | 06:37 PM
|

That's a good point. I am probably wiping off a majority of the sealant too soon. I'll try it differently next time. The real kicker is that I probably wasted 4 coats of the sealant.

What keeps me scratching my head about this is that the instructional video on the Crystal Guard website states that the car should not dry after the application, but to keep it wet to create the chemical bond it makes on your car. Then immediately rinse with water and then dab it dry. Except, I don't dab, I dry the car normally with a clean microfiber towel.

Old 04-05-2004 | 07:10 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

geobau... ah ha! i believe you've found out why his isn't beading. [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

g35_4evr... i use a similar application to what geobau does. i use a method from this thread. i wash the car and dry it off completely. i take a spray bottle of water and wet down a panel. then take the spray bottle of CG to that panel. wipe the CG around and move on to the next panel and do the same. after the 2nd panel has CG on it, i go back to the 1st panel and (same as geobau) lightly "buff" dry it. i don't re-wet, rinse, or wash that panel.

i applied 3 CG layers (once every week) around fall and the gloss has lasted me well past the winter months up until now. i've used less than half the large bottle of CG. good luck with your CGing.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 04-05-2004 | 08:34 PM
|

Thanks g35girl and GeoBau! I will try it your way and then count the number of weeks and months my car continues to bead!

Old 04-05-2004 | 08:46 PM

I found that rinsing after applying CG quick removes the CG. Also, watch how the water reacts on the paint. I found that CG doesn't bead water very well but sheets off really good. The water should sheets off fast if there is CG on it, if there's no protection on the paint water seems to stick to it for a long time.

Old 04-05-2004 | 11:07 PM
From: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

Geo,

CG or Zaino- Have you tried the Z yet?

DB

Old 04-06-2004 | 02:02 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin

I'll get to use Zaino in about a week or two... so far, I've seen the results of both up close, and I like CG's "hardness", but Zaino's "gloss". When I touch a Zaino'd car, I feel like I'll scratch it all off with my fingernail... but damn it's deep. Keep the car clean of swirls, and CG will give you a DAMN good shine and, chemically speaking, better protection.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other. Time will tell.

G