Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Black P.o.s.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Black P.o.s.

Again another gripe about my black G...
I have 636 miles on my new 08 G. I must have AT LEAST 13 coats of wax on my car. So here is my story... got caught in a 5 min rain storm the other day..nothing big. Brought it home, parked it in the garage. It was maybe in the sun for about 5 min previously to parking it indoors. 24 hours later, figured I would wash it. Can you guess what the hood, roof and trunk was covered with? You guessed it... acid rain spots. WTF already, do I have to wash this car immediately after every rain? If I don't wash the car immediately, do i have to wax the sh** out of the hood and what not? I have a 1998 GMC that stays outside and gets hit with my sprinklers almost every day...Not a single spot...oh yea, and it hasn't been waxed for 5 years. What kind of crappy clear are they spraying these cars with? I know this topic has been covered numerous times, but I had to just vent. I'm pissed. Oh, and I'm already starting to notice chips on my rims...PS I BABY this car...don't speed around nothing...Whats the deal INFINITI?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is the unfortunate part about Infiniti. You will probably have to wash it after it rains, but it is not necessary. There is two ways you can fix this. A. buy a white car, or B. Move. Where do you live anyway?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:33 PM
maybe it's not acid rain, maybe it's the rain wearing away at the 13 coats of wax u put on it.... wash it with an aggressive dish washing soap to get rid of the wax, and try using a sealant, then 1 coat of wax over the sealant

Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by volcom_koda
That is the unfortunate part about Infiniti. You will probably have to wash it after it rains, but it is not necessary. There is two ways you can fix this. A. buy a white car, or B. Move. Where do you live anyway?

White will be my next car..no question. I live in Western Massachusetts. I was in NH when it rained.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
maybe it's not acid rain, maybe it's the rain wearing away at the 13 coats of wax u put on it.... wash it with an aggressive dish washing soap to get rid of the wax, and try using a sealant, then 1 coat of wax over the sealant
13 coats was a little exaggerated.... I'm sure it has about 4 or so. And all those coats were necessary to get rid of all the swirl marks I saw all over the car right from the factory. BAH! I'd like to just enjoy my G rather than wash and waxin' the ol' beast. Everything else about the car is quite enjoyable...

Old 08-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Wax is used for protection, not to remove swirls marks... You should do paint correction (i.e. polishing, compounding), before putting on protection (i.e. sealant, wax)...

If it was my car (and I also have a black car, so I can sympathize), I would start from scratch... A thorough wash, clay, polishing (you shouldnt need to compound/wetsand for a car this new unless it has been abused), topped by a quality sealant (zaino, klasse aio)... After that, maintenance should be considerably easier...

Old 08-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by dreamcatchr
Wax is used for protection, not to remove swirls marks... You should do paint correction (i.e. polishing, compounding), before putting on protection (i.e. sealant, wax)...

If it was my car (and I also have a black car, so I can sympathize), I would start from scratch... A thorough wash, clay, polishing (you shouldnt need to compound/wetsand for a car this new unless it has been abused), topped by a quality sealant (zaino, klasse aio)... After that, maintenance should be considerably easier...
I have zaino, ardex, megquires all sorts of polishes and waxes. I tried claying, absolutely everything. The only process that took the swirls out was wet sanding the beast. Now its like glass. The issue is as of right now is the acid rain spots. I would hate to strip everything off that car that was just applied that I spent good money on.... 500 to be exact. And as far as me abusing it...it had 200 miles on it when I noticed the swirls initially. I washed it only once with a micro fiber mitt, and also dried it with micro fiber towels. It had to come from the dealer like that. Rain was the only reason why I didn't notice the blemishes at the dealer.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Sorry, and you think it's the paint's fault???

Old 08-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
pics?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Sorry, and you think it's the paint's fault???
Who's fault is it? You buy a 40,000+ vehicle and right off the bat you have to spend $$ to get it look half way decent? Then I read numerous stories on here about other people having the same problems with the clear being so soft that you basically have to be god to keep it looking decent...??? This is an issue that needs to be addressed. You shouldn't have to avoid buying black because of fear of acid spots and swirls. My previous 3 black cars were definitely on the difficult side to keep looking perfect, as opposed to a lighter color, but nothing like this.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by ShanesG
pics?
I only have some crummy pics on my iphone. I was to disgusted to do anything but drive it to a detailer and get the problems addressed.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by Skroopie
I only have some crummy pics on my iphone. I was to disgusted to do anything but drive it to a detailer and get the problems addressed.
So what did the detailer tell you??? What did he do??? Hopefully now maintenance will be much easier and hassle-free... Good luck...

Old 08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Skroopie
Who's fault is it? You buy a 40,000+ vehicle and right off the bat you have to spend $$ to get it look half way decent? Then I read numerous stories on here about other people having the same problems with the clear being so soft that you basically have to be god to keep it looking decent...??? This is an issue that needs to be addressed. You shouldn't have to avoid buying black because of fear of acid spots and swirls. My previous 3 black cars were definitely on the difficult side to keep looking perfect, as opposed to a lighter color, but nothing like this.
It's no one's fault. Acid rain, if that's really what it was, will do damage to ANY paint, not just Infiniti's paint. Your car being black has nothing to do with it as acid rain can do the same to any color......it just might not be as noticeable. My suggestion is to use a top quality sealant that will provide your paint with protection for an extended amount of time.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:54 AM
Suggest maybe get a car cover.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Skroopie... there's really not much to blame but yourself. Don't blame Infiniti for having "poor paint". With proper care, you can have a perfect shine. You just need to learn proper maintenance techniques and follow them religiously. Do that, and you'll have no problem with keeping your paint perfect. I've been detailing for years, not just mine, but countless customers... and to avoid water spot messes... I don't just leave my wet car sitting in the garage. When, I get home I either squeegee the car dry if there's sufficient amount of water on the car. If not, I use a waffle-weave microfiber drying towel and just dab the entire car dry. Keeps water spots from forming and is scratch-safe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black P.o.s.