Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Chamois or Big Blue or ..what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chamois or Big Blue or ..what?

Alright here goes....I go to wash my g today, hose it down, use my wash mitt and soap and get the whole thing cleaned, hose it down, spray wax-as-you-dry on each panel as i'm drying (with a terry towel) and theres pieces of the towel ALL over my g...all i see is little white strands all over the place, it was almost impossible to get rid of. luckily after it dried a little bit the streaks went away and the white strands kinda blew off. the stuff that remained came off with a microfiber afterwards and there was still a real nice shine after the wax-as.. was put on so i guess i'm not completely pissed about it....

which brings me to my question...cause i'm completely anti-terry at this point ---- should i get one of those big 5 sq ft leather chamois things that are sold everywhere (and do i cut it up into smaller pieces??) or i've been hearing about this thing called the "big blue towel" ..i think....anyone with experience in this?

what i'm looking for is the absolute best thing to use to dry my car after washing and applying a coat of wax-as-u-dry that doesnt leave any lint, streaks, or fuzzy's (yes, i said fuzzy's)

thanks everyone..

Jeff - Look for me in the black G
2004.5 G35 Coupe
5AT / Black on Black / Premium / Splash / ClearCorners

Old 07-31-2004, 09:52 AM
Re: Chamois or Big Blue or ..what?

The Big Blue II towel is phenomenal!!...you can dry your car completely in 4 min. without any water streaks, spots, or towel fibers and you don't have to even wring it out once like a chamois. www.properautocare.com.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/31/04 06:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-31-2004, 11:02 AM

I just got big blue and I wish it was a little softer. I actually had to send the first one back because it was coming apart at the seams. It works great though.

04 Coupe 6MT Laser/Graphite Premium No Aero

Old 07-31-2004, 04:14 PM

I purchased the set of 2 Big Blue II towels and both are very soft and well put together. They both work great. You must have just received a defective one the first time for some strange reason.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 07-31-2004, 09:20 PM

I recommend Big Blue Towel. I started using mine after using chamois for several years. I do feel the original big blue towel is more absorbent than this latest version ... still it's a great towel. Got mine at http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html

Old 08-01-2004, 01:22 AM

I guess i could possibly try out the big blue...its just a lot of money for a towel..you know. but apparently its worth it according to all your responses..

i think i'm gonna stick with terry for my wheels after i use A2Z and wax-as-u-dry on them. that seems to do the trick really well.

2004.5 G35 Coupe

Old 08-01-2004, 11:13 AM

'Never heard of or tried the Big Blue, but I've been using the Absorber for quite some time and it works great--much better than leather chamois--and it does not fall apart. Also, it never dries out and gets hard like a leather chamois.

2004 6MT (Silver/Willow), premium & aero packages

My old ride (I still miss her; put a lot of pride and joy into it): http://www.n-body.net/registry/john95ga/

Old 08-01-2004, 12:48 PM

I bought the Micro-Fiber drying towel from Griots and it works well! Very soft, no lint, streaks, or "lil Fuzzies"!

2003 6MT Black Coupe, Premium Pkg. w/ Aero
20% tint all around, Aluminum Pedals

Old 08-03-2004, 09:02 PM

big blue. its the best.

but i think your problem with streaks has more to do with using the WaxAs you dry. From my experience using this product makes it ten times harder to dry a car. Thus all the time you save waxing is wasted trying to dry the car. Also you must remember that a product like WaxAs you dry will only provided very limited protection. Using a wax after you wash and dry gives you MUCH MUCH better protection. A sealent would be even better.

another thing to think about is using the bigBlue to wipe off and dry this WaxAs you dry stuff. If you are not careful there will be a build up of wax on your bigBlue, thus cutting its drying properties significantly. You can get the wax out of the bigBlue but this will require using a strong detergent that may harm the microfiber threads if used repeatedly.

If you main goal is to save time, use a sealent. All it takes is a 2 coats every 4 months. That should take only 30 minutes. You will get better protection and a nicer shine.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

big blue towel is the best drying thing i have ever used.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, limo tint, Phatbox 40g mp3 player

Old 08-04-2004, 12:00 AM

i have noticed that the wax-as-u-dry has made it a little more difficult to dry the car more effectively and quickly but i really like the shine and reflection it gives off.

and i know its not a wax and i am not using it as a replacement for a wax. it is meant to be used inbetween waxes to keep it looking clean and all. i havent waxed yet but plan to in the next couple weeks. and i'll admit that i've never waxed a car before so i hope i know what i'm doing...

i have a bottle of nanowax that came with the applicator and all. should i use dawn first or use my regular car wash stuff and dry it then apply the wax? and what do i use to buff it off...just a microfiber? how many coats can i put on in one day?

sorry if it seems so newb but i really havent waxed a car before, nothing i've had before has been worth the time til i got my g. and being a black g it's taken so much just to keep it looking good inbetween washes.

any more help would appreciated, thanks a lot..

2004.5 G35 Coupe