Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

My 2003 Obsidian Black Coupe detailed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2009 | 04:35 PM
|
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni
My 2003 Obsidian Black Coupe detailed...

After many months of neglect and me being overseas, I was finally home long enough to give my OB G a much needed detail. These pictures I'm posting are only of the exterior since a clean interior isn't so interesting. So here's the stuff I used: I used a basic car wash to start with, and then proceeded with the Mother's Clay Kit (didn't have time to order the good stuff from George). Then I used Poor Boy's SSR1 with an orange pad on speed 5 with my UDM. I really enjoyed the results I got with the SSR1, being the first time using it (former Zaino guy here). The final topping on the cake was the Dodo Juice Purple Haze. I wiped it off with some of George's Ultraplush Microfiber towels. I dont' think I've ever seen my car look this good, even when I bought it... The combination of the SSR1 and Dodo Juice worked very well together and I highly recommend this combination to anyone with a dark colored G. Here are some daylight pics to show; sorry, no before and afters!! Enjoy!

Old 10-11-2009 | 04:39 PM
Car looks great, those rims look great as well which are those?

Old 10-11-2009 | 04:52 PM
Looks great! Gotta check it in the sun for holograms though, orange pads can be stiff enough to leave holograms even if you are using the lightest polish possible.

Old 10-11-2009 | 06:01 PM
Wow very clean!! I like ur rims also!!

BTW,

After the final polish, is it okay to wax it without doing sealent or glaze first?..

I do not have glaze or sealent product. I only have the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax for paint protection.

Old 10-11-2009 | 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by nctrnlsilvia
Car looks great, those rims look great as well which are those?
i think there Volk Progressive Me's
not sure though

anways
your G i just clean and simple
love it

Old 10-12-2009 | 02:08 PM
|
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni
thanks guys...

Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Looks great! Gotta check it in the sun for holograms though, orange pads can be stiff enough to leave holograms even if you are using the lightest polish possible.

darkstar, I pulled her back in the garage and kept a watchful eye on the holograms; I typically have the most trouble on the hood..

Originally Posted by drifts500
Wow very clean!! I like ur rims also!!

BTW,

After the final polish, is it okay to wax it without doing sealent or glaze first?..

I do not have glaze or sealent product. I only have the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax for paint protection.
I typically have not used a sealant after polish simply because for me its another long step and I'm too lazy to do it... I have never had a problem applying a wax after a polish but from what I hear, it's much easier and effective to have a sealant applied... but what do I know, I'm not a pro..

I would recommend at least buying a small portion of some of the premium waxes George @ Detailed Image has to offer. Not to diss Meguiar's, but the cleaner wax found at the stores isn't the best product for the results you might be looking for...

-- Joaquin

Old 10-12-2009 | 02:30 PM
Correct me if im wrong but the orange pad is a light cutting pad and is more effective with SSR2.5 or SSR3, followed with SSR1 on a green or white pad. I'm not a pro or anything but thats what I gather. Not to knock your work Joaquin, your car looks great. I think it can look even better!

Old 10-12-2009 | 02:30 PM
Love it!

Old 10-12-2009 | 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by drifts500

A glaze is a product that fills in swirls, so it's applied before the wax for that reason. Since the wax will be bonding to the glaze instead of the paint, it will generally have a shorter life-span.

A sealant is a product that is man made and does not have carnauba in it, and typically lasts longer than a wax. This is why it is sometimes put under a wax, so when the wax is gone, you will still have the sealant protecting your car.

A wax can be put on by itself. Buy a different wax though, Meguiar's cleaner wax is meant to do just that, clean the paint, so anything under it will just be taken away by the cleaners, including a sealant. A cleaner wax is meant to clean the paint in preparation for a regular wax. NXT 2.0 Paste wax is a pretty good OTC wax, just don't get it on black plastic trim.

And OP, sorry if that came off the wrong way, I just meant that make sure holograms don't come up in a week, it's happened to me before and it is frustrating as hell. If you want a good way to check next time you are polishing, get some Isopropyl Alcohol 70%, put it in an empty spray bottle, and then spray it on the paint and wipe off with a MF. Then inspect the paint. This will make sure any polishing oils are removed, and you can instantly check for holograms that would have otherwise been hidden. Your car looks absolutely amazing though

Old 10-12-2009 | 04:59 PM
Car looks amazing Joaquin03. Can't believe you have so many miles on it.

Old 10-13-2009 | 04:29 AM
|
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by superkid94
Car looks amazing Joaquin03. Can't believe you have so many miles on it.
Thanks.

Old 10-22-2009 | 05:06 PM
looks ****ing stealth. nice ride, good job

Old 10-22-2009 | 06:07 PM
-MN G Crew-
Staff Alumni
Premier Member
Hard to believe this car has like 140k on it.

Looks just freaking beautiful.

I am so nervous to buff my G lol idk why either.

Old 10-22-2009 | 06:10 PM
That is orgasmic. haha

Old 10-22-2009 | 06:23 PM
beautiful

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 2003 Obsidian Black Coupe detailed...