Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Rough spots on my hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough spots on my hood

The last time I washed my car I clayed the whole thing but I noticed that the right side of my hood (most of it) had a very rough feel to it, almost like a find sandpaper. The left side is smooth like glass. I tried claying it to no end but I cant get whatever it is off. Theres nothing noticeable on the hood I can see, anyone got any opinions as to what it could be and how to get rid of it? Thanks!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Sounds like overspray or tree sap, both are a huge PITA. OTC clay is generally very mild, and will not be able to remove the overspray or sap. Both should be slightly visible, are you sure you can't see anything even under different angles from various light sources(sun, lightbulb, LED, flashlight, camera flash, etc.)?

To try and see it more effectively, black out your garage at night so it is pitch black, and then use a strong light source to try and spot it. You may not see it directly where the main circle of light is, so make sure you look in the dimmer circle of light too.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Ill have to look at it more carefully the next time I wash it. What can I do if its overspray to get it off? Or can I not?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by changeover
Ill have to look at it more carefully the next time I wash it. What can I do if its overspray to get it off? Or can I not?
Yea you can, you'll just need a more aggressive claybar, and probably have to polish it after. Sometimes paint stores will have the red claybar, but you'll probably have to order online. Meguiars aggressive clay is red, Riccardo Blue, Clay Magic Red, any aggressive clay should work. This is assuming it's overspray though.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I just got done claying my car, then using Meguiars Ultimate Compound with the big yellow mothers power ball to remove all swirl and fine scratches. This should take care of your issue. Remember to use your brain when compounding, don't sit in one area and make sure you keep power ball plenty moist with the compound.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by BacaraG35
I just got done claying my car, then using Meguiars Ultimate Compound with the big yellow mothers power ball to remove all swirl and fine scratches. This should take care of your issue. Remember to use your brain when compounding, don't sit in one area and make sure you keep power ball plenty moist with the compound.
thats a good idea! I still have to wash it and take a look at it. Could it be that there was something wrong with the clear coat? If so would that be covered under warranty?