Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What causes this type of damage in clear coat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cali*Coast
I just had the car fully detailed at a very good shop 2-3 months ago.
Originally Posted by Cali*Coast
You need a new detailer then. Looks like old polish residue and holograms in the paint. Did the detail shop not mention anything about the white dots to you? Highly doubt polishing is going to help, and wax certainly wont hide it. How long ago did you notice this? Seems like the paint is just pitting all over. Seems like a repaint is the only fix.

Last edited by DetailDan; 06-15-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Lol you should never, ever let that detail shop touch your car again. It's amazing what some people consider a "good" detail shop. How much did you pay for it out of curiosity?

If you can't afford a repaint, look into Dr. Colorchip.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:42 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
That's gonna take a lot of Dr Colorchip

Old 06-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need a new detailer then. Looks like old polish residue and holograms in the paint. Did the detail shop not mention anything about the white dots to you? Highly doubt polishing is going to help, and wax certainly wont hide it. How long ago did you notice this? Seems like the paint is just pitting all over. Seems like a repaint is the only fix.
The white spots were not there after the detail, I am pretty sure they are new. The car had gotten a REALLY bad detail from someone right before I bought the car. Could the symptoms you described be from that detail? This shop does complete restorations for cars that drive in the Pebble Beach Concourse de'Elegance, etc. I would be surprised if they did not know how to detail.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Lol you should never, ever let that detail shop touch your car again. It's amazing what some people consider a "good" detail shop. How much did you pay for it out of curiosity?

It was $150. It would have been more if the owner was there.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:26 PM
I dont think its a result of either detail. Something got onto the paint and etched it. It looks like the roof is already starting to rust.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Yes it is starting to rust. I am hoping insurance will at least cover part of a total repaint.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Honestly, I would sell the car before repainting that much of it. Could run into even more problems with a repaint. Especially a cheap one.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:37 AM
It is only those two spots that have rust, and they are very small. Otherwise the car is in great condition. If/when I get it painted it will be at a very good shop, familiar with G35's (TNT Auto Body in Sacramento). If insurance won't pay for it, then I will save up to get the car done at TNT--and just sand and touch up those two spots in the mean-time.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 PM
I meant repainting the hood, roof, trunk lid- everywhere those white dots are.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by kennymo
its rail dust. or coke dust. (not the drug kind) it gets embeded into the paint
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

I think anyway. I was racking my brain trying to figure out where I could have gotten rail dust or coke dust deposited on my car. I haven't been near any factories or railways. Then, yesterday, as I was standing in my car port at dusk, the overhead light went on...I looked up and saw the water pipes running above the car had rust on them!! It appears that they are vibrating or that the wind is blowing the iron rust (like rail dust) onto my car. At first the dust looked white, but when I looked at it on my headlights, I noticed that it is indeed the color of, um, rust.

Thank you sir.

I had actually spoke with insurance earlier in the day and they had already approved a full repaint. It looks like I'll be parking elsewhere from now on.

Last edited by DivZero; 06-24-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Darkstar752

I dont think this person's detailing shop did this. I was recently at an Infiniti dealership and went to look at their used cars...two of the cars on their lot had the same problem. One was OB and one was AB.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
haha yea i told you it was rail dust/coke dust. my car has it on the roof.

what insurance do you have and what did you tell them to get it repainted? i need to do the same

Old 06-29-2010, 03:12 AM
Allstate. They have been AMAZING with every claim I've had over the last 6 years.

I told them that 2 months ago, when the car was detailed, there was no damage--and now there is. I also told them that I believed it to be rail or coke dust, or some form of acid. I then told them that I actually had a second opinion from a detailer at the dealership. He is the one who suggested tat it might be an acid.

I think what helped is a documented time when there was nothing wrong, and now there is clearly something wrong. Basically I just told the agent/inspector that I have no idea what caused it for sure, but I know it is new. I just told him the truth as outlined in this thread and he was able to help me out.