Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Opinions of 3M Protectant (for G35C)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions of 3M Protectant (for G35C)

As an owner of a black Maxima, I am all too familiar with the amount of damage rocks and other debris can inflict on the front end of a car. Does anyone have any experience and related opinions regarding the value and effectiveness of the 3M clear protectant treatment as well as approximate cost?

I really don't want my soon to arrive baby to get all nicked and chipped up like my Max.

Old 11-05-2002, 02:27 AM
Re: Opinions of 3M Protectant (for G35C)

I've had it for over a year now on my pathfinder and it has
protected the car from chips. I'd do it again.

In fact, that's what I spent my day doing today on my g35 coupe.
I'm not driving it again until it's done.

rob

Old 11-05-2002, 11:19 AM

I dont know what you guys are talking about, can anyone explain? Thanks

Old 11-05-2002, 11:35 AM

It's a 3M product, a film which you can lay on your car to protect the front end like an invisible bra!
see:
http://www.spyengineering.com/mihome.html

http://www.stongard.com/sgcontent/default.asp

http://www.pfracing.com/cgi-local/sh...3Dinvisbra.htm

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by 850 on 11/05/02 08:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-05-2002, 02:11 PM
Multi-Spoked Mod

Anyone know where they wil have a invisible bra for the G35 sedan with a stock body kit? And what the lowerst price is? I am interested but wanted someone to install it for me? Anyone live in S.California that knows where?

Old 11-05-2002, 11:15 PM

Can you let me/us know:
1. how you found a place that could apply it
2. how much it will cost for your G35C
3. what type of "kit" they used (i.e. G35C specific?) and what areas it will cover
4. if there are any other brands out there other than 3M that are good.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure many of us will be interested in your feedback.

Old 11-06-2002, 12:41 AM

3M makes most of the film that several companys precut as kits for various cars. Go over to Freshalloy and do a search for "clear bra"; there are several threads with lots of good advice and info.
Greg

Old 11-06-2002, 06:49 PM

I got my GSedan done 2 weeks ago here in Montreal... Company is called Trimline...

The Product is as important as the installer.. And boy did he ever do a fantastic job!!! I got the Hood - Front Spoiler-Mirrors and the entire back bumper in one single piece.

My jaw dropped when i saw the final finish.. no bubbles.. no scratches.. no nothing.. just perfection !!

The price was approx 10$ canadian per square foot for the 3M product.

Old 11-06-2002, 07:07 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you got a real nice job done. Like you said though it's got to be put on right. Next time you're down at the shop (Trimline) would you see if there's one down here in the Toronto area. Maybe they have a website? I'd like to get my Garnet Fire Sedan done too. Thanx for checking...
Gsedanman- Garnet Fire Sedan

Old 11-11-2002, 07:40 PM

Well i went back yesterday and they don't have a toronto location.

have a good day.

Old 11-12-2002, 12:27 AM
Thats us!=)

Heres a bit of info on what we do. 3M paint protection film is used to protect the areas covered by traditional car bras but be virtualy invisible. The fact that most people have never seen it on a car is testament to how well the film goes unnoticed since there are thousands of cars in my area have clear bras on them. You might have heard of the EPA mandate that car manufacturers switch over to more enviornmentaly friendly water-based paints to limit atmospheric polutants. Its not so much that they are "softer" as they are generally weaker and more brittle than old solvent based paints since they are applied in a very thin, semi dry layer that is then quickly heated in an almost powder-coating process. This semi-solid application is what also leads to the orange peeling people complain about. In time manufactures will refine the process but for now, factory paint quality will not be at the level it has been in the past. To exacerbate the problem, unlike the old days of chrome and rubber bumpers, nearly all new cars are made with large painted front bumpers that reach even lower to the ground. This will be a huge problem in the next few years, I dont think many people realise the amount of cars they will see on the road with completely sandblasted front ends. I see this all the time at our shop, even on cars that come to us with less than a hundred miles look like theyve been on the road for a year. Owning a Maxima Im sure your familiar with the page maxima.org members started to complain to nissan about their paint http://www.maximapaint.com/ this is going to be a big problem.

Hope that clears it up a bit. Look here for pics of us installing 3M film on a 350Z at our shop in Petaluma(about 30min north of SF) www.pbase.com/dxm/inivisiguard_01 Our kits cover the bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, door edges, behind the door handles, and a seperat thicker kit for the headlights. Our special price for Forum members is $595 for the full paint protection kit and $75 for the headlight pritection, and comes with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. If you have any other questions feel free to mail me, invisiguard@sbcglobal.net
Jeremy

9094-tires, and xpel 003 (small).jpg