Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How does this wash and wax look?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face How does this wash and wax look?

I'd like y'all's opinions. I bought the car last month and I've had it washed and waxed twice since then, and it's just not looking the way I know it can. They used a buffer the first time. I don't know exactly what they did, but it made a huge difference. BUT it still wasn't like what I've seen on this forum, so I want to learn how to do this stuff and do it correctly.

Here's the before

Closeup

After researching here, I got my supplies and started out with a wash. My cloth was clean after I dried, so I guess I got that part down.

Here's a closeup of the same area

Then I used the clay bar. Each section I did was pretty dirty. This is when I noticed all of the rock chips and was severely disheartened. So now I'm trying to decided if I want to live with them since I will only get more with all of the interstate driving I do or do I want to learn something new and fill them all in?

Finally I waxed. It's not in full sun, but I hope you can tell a difference from the first two pictures.

Closeup

From far away it looks ok, but close up I still see scratches and hard water marks . I thought they would come out with the clay bar, but maybe it takes a few sessions to get everything out? Or did I not do the clay bar part well enough? I read somewhere that you should clay bar once a year, but does it hurt to do it once a month? Or is this where a buffer/polish would come in? Opinions and advice are welcome.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JLMitch
I'd like y'all's opinions. I bought the car last month and I've had it washed and waxed twice since then, and it's just not looking the way I know it can. They used a buffer the first time. I don't know exactly what they did, but it made a huge difference. BUT it still wasn't like what I've seen on this forum, so I want to learn how to do this stuff and do it correctly.

Here's the before

Closeup

After researching here, I got my supplies and started out with a wash. My cloth was clean after I dried, so I guess I got that part down.

Here's a closeup of the same area

Then I used the clay bar. Each section I did was pretty dirty. This is when I noticed all of the rock chips and was severely disheartened. So now I'm trying to decided if I want to live with them since I will only get more with all of the interstate driving I do or do I want to learn something new and fill them all in?

Finally I waxed. It's not in full sun, but I hope you can tell a difference from the first two pictures.

Closeup

From far away it looks ok, but close up I still see scratches and hard water marks . I thought they would come out with the clay bar, but maybe it takes a few sessions to get everything out? Or did I not do the clay bar part well enough? I read somewhere that you should clay bar once a year, but does it hurt to do it once a month? Or is this where a buffer/polish would come in? Opinions and advice are welcome.
First of all you have to understand that a clay bar removes above surface contaminants and not the defects in the paint. In some cases clay bars can even mar the paint with use. It's a mandatory step to prepare for paint defect removal. Clay once or twice a year. After you clay you would assess the defects and decide your plan of attack. I would then use a polish with a foam pad on a DA polisher (good tool and easy to use) take care of the swirls and scratches in your paint.

It won't hurt to clay once a month but clay marring can occur, and you will notice that your clay isn't picking any contaminants off.

It seems to me that the previous detail was a job that used heavy fillers on your paint and the good look was only temporary.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Good to know, thank you. I believe you about the fillers. I feel like I started seeing all of those chips all of a sudden and I thought I was doing something terribly wrong!

What is a DA?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JLMitch
Good to know, thank you. I believe you about the fillers. I feel like I started seeing all of those chips all of a sudden and I thought I was doing something terribly wrong!

What is a DA?
A DA polisher is a machine that rotates the pad as well as oscillates. Look into a Porter Cable 7224XP or the Griots 6" or the Meguiars 110v2. All work similarly with the griots and Meguiars having a bit more power.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Most likely when you first saw it a glaze or wax or bad lighting was temporarily hiding the surface imperfections that were still there. You can remove them yourself and restore the deepest shine possible by using a buffer and a good set of polishes. This two step polishing process should be perfect for you - DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP & Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Starter Kit 5" Free Bonus. The PC 7424 XP buffer is very easy and safe to use for first timers and you can not burn the paint with it. The first step is the compound that will help remove those swirls so the clear coat is optically clear and then the light can pass directly through the paint and give you that deep reflection back. The second step further polishes the paint and protects in one step. The only other thing you need is about 3 - 5 of the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel to hand remove the excess product. If you have any questions let me know I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI

Old 08-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Most likely when you first saw it a glaze or wax or bad lighting was temporarily hiding the surface imperfections that were still there. You can remove them yourself and restore the deepest shine possible by using a buffer and a good set of polishes. This two step polishing process should be perfect for you - DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP & Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Starter Kit 5" Free Bonus. The PC 7424 XP buffer is very easy and safe to use for first timers and you can not burn the paint with it. The first step is the compound that will help remove those swirls so the clear coat is optically clear and then the light can pass directly through the paint and give you that deep reflection back. The second step further polishes the paint and protects in one step. The only other thing you need is about 3 - 5 of the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel to hand remove the excess product. If you have any questions let me know I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
There you go OP! Greg at DI is the man and will help you every step of the way with everything. His site I must of read more than 5 times on the whole detailing process. George and Greg are good people. Good luck nice job too.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback, all, it is very much appreciated. In a month or so I might have a completely free weekend and I'm going to dive on in with filling in some chips and then polishing away all of my scratches.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you should read up and understand the basics of detailing before you start trying to do touch up work and paint correction work. Based on your comment of "I thought clay would remove the scratches", I dont believe you should go out and buy a polisher and everything else. Maybe let someone show you how to polish by taking a class or hiring a pro to show you. Not trying to burst your bubble, but you dont have the understanding to tackle the job. I would hate for you to come back on here and say "I F'd up my paint, what now?".

Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LakeShore_Slate
There you go OP! Greg at DI is the man and will help you every step of the way with everything. His site I must of read more than 5 times on the whole detailing process. George and Greg are good people. Good luck nice job too.
its just greg now, George is no longer a part of DI

Old 08-20-2011, 08:12 AM
You're totally right, I was confused and didn't understand what all I needed to do for my car. That's why I gave myself some weeks to do exactly what you said to do: research more and learn firsthand from someone else. I'm completely on the same page you are. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 AM
you have to take the help of your friend or someone else for the good detailing.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Why do people think "claybar" remove scratches?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflections
A DA polisher is a machine that rotates the pad as well as oscillates. Look into a Porter Cable 7224XP or the Griots 6" or the Meguiars 110v2. All work similarly with the griots and Meguiars having a bit more power.
I see a lot of people say this about power - but isn't the new PC model a 7424XP? It is more powerful than the old one, now has like 4.5 amps, and same rpm if not more than the other two I think??