Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Picking up new car soon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:42 PM
raises all-in
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking up new car soon

I asked the dealer not to wash/wax the car for me.

My concern is, the dealer is at least miles from my house. By the time I get home, it will have suffered through 80 miles of road "stuff", and probably some paint chips too.

Here are my options:

1.) Ask the dealer if I could do a wash/wax myself at the dealership. I'm probably going to go the CrystalGuard route.

2.) Find a near-by detailer and get it done there before driving home.

3.) Let the dealer wash & wax it.

4.) Just drive home and clean it up myself.

Any ideas and advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Howdy!
Where do you live? Personally, I think you'll be fine driving it home. Just might need to clay certain areas depending on the conditions of the roads.

Old 03-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Why would you not allow the dealer to wash and clean your car for delivery? If there's any imperfections, you can spot them and have it fixed before taking delivery and avoid any hassles later. Clean or dirty, if your car gets hit by small rocks, it will chip. Only way to avoid this is not following other cars too close or use painters tape and mask off the front end.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:04 PM
raises all-in
Originally Posted by Espresso
Why would you not allow the dealer to wash and clean your car for delivery? If there's any imperfections, you can spot them and have it fixed before taking delivery and avoid any hassles later. Clean or dirty, if your car gets hit by small rocks, it will chip. Only way to avoid this is not following other cars too close or use painters tape and mask off the front end.
because I've heard horror stories of scratched up wash jobs at car dealerships. I certainly wouldn't want to subject my new car to that.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:05 PM
raises all-in
Originally Posted by erik7
Where do you live? Personally, I think you'll be fine driving it home. Just might need to clay certain areas depending on the conditions of the roads.
I live in southern CT. The dealership is on Long Island.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:57 PM
You should have them put a clear bra on before you take that 80 mile drive home........last thing you want is to get home and see a dozen of chips.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:44 PM
I also recommend the clear bra for whole front and headlights. If not i would drive the car home during off hours and stay far away from the cars ahead of you.

As far as them washing your car, its a catch 22. If you dont let them clean it, anything you find wrong with the car later is on you. I would let then wash it only.

Christopher
Pristine Autowerks

Old 03-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User
i agree with the others that you get the washing and detailing done by them. at my dealership, they use a professional detailer and not the same guy who gives those free car washes. hopefully, it is the same way at your infiniti dealer. i also agree with the clear bra (but if your G is white, i'd look up old threads about the clear bra showing discoloration after a while). i use crystal guard and it has protected my G through terrible weather, bugs, and bird poop, but it is useless against teeny rocks. and from my understanding, CG needs 24 hours to "cure."

and yeah, those dealer washes are terror. i saw a guy drying a silver G and using circular motions with those cheap hotel-looking towels. once you take your G home, don't ever let the dealer's washpeople touch it again.

congrats on your new car and good luck!

Old 03-07-2005, 01:47 PM
raises all-in
I asked my dealer, and he said they have only one department that does nothing but wash/wax/detail their new and used cars.