Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Better DRYING tips please!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2005 | 12:19 AM
|
Better DRYING tips please!!!

Im very **** when it comes to cleaning and maintaining the beauty and shine of my car, as I'm sure many of us are who browse through this detailing section are...Lately I'm getting very frustrated with drying my car...After my wash I run the hose without a nozzle and all that good stuff and then I dry with microfiber towels that I buy from Target...It looks fine and dandy at the time, however whenever I'm out at night and it gets a bit cold the car gets a lil frosty...Wouldn't you know that everytime I can see the wet streaks from where I ran the cloth over to dry the car...Does anybody else experience this? Its annoying, I have an IP so I never notice it during the day but at night when its parked under lights I can see the streaks...Should I be using a different type of towel? Are the microfibers from target just to cheap for proper drying? At night it looks like I do a half *** job at cleaning and drying but that couldn't be further from the truth...Any ideas here guys? Thanks

Old 03-30-2005 | 01:17 AM
g4s
Old 03-30-2005 | 11:24 AM
|
G4s - Thanks for the link, Ill have to give those a try...How is this towel in terms of swirl marks? Should I not be worried about those with the Big Blue? Thanks again

Old 03-30-2005 | 11:29 AM
Widdle ya into kindling
I have always used Zaino products and cannot say enough about how great they are.

Recently I purchased Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray that is used between washings. Wow what a great three dimensional look it brings to the car. I first started out buying just the Zaino Wax and now have just about every product they carry. Great great product.

Old 03-30-2005 | 11:40 AM
g4s
no swirls and no lint. i dont use the "hose w/out a nozzle to sheet the water off" technique, and i can get away with drying off the entire car without ringing out the towel once. their ad states that the tag does not scratch, but im **** and cut it off anyways.

also, i have 4 big blue towels and 1 little blue. a little overboard, but i dont wash the towels with any other garments in the washing machine. its still a waste of water to wash only 5 pieces but moreso doing just 1.

tuning:
if youre local i can let you borrow one. but you may have to sign a contract saying youll return it =P.

Last edited by g4s; 03-30-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-30-2005 | 11:54 AM
the waffle weave MF towel is great. but as with any other kind of towel, as soon as it gets dirty, stop using it and have it cleaned. any time you trap dirt on a towel and rub it against your car, you will get swirls.

Old 03-30-2005 | 11:58 AM
The Big Blue towel is AWESOME! Best micro towel I ever had. I also get the leaf blower out afterwards to get in all the nooks and crannys and then go back over with the BB towel.....damn cars are an obsession.

Old 03-30-2005 | 12:28 PM
|
tuning:
if youre local i can let you borrow one. but you may have to sign a contract saying youll return it =P.[/QUOTE]

G4s - Thanks for the offer...Im located in Philly so I doubt your around my area...Are there any other places to get these big blues, or do I have to order them online?

Question for everyone...Does anybody else know what I'm talking about regarding the frost showing the steaks from where I was drying my car? It may sound confusing but I think if its happened to you, you'd know what I'm referring too...

Old 03-30-2005 | 02:21 PM
i think i know what you're talking about on the frost thing. i've had it happen in the past, but i am not sure what caused it. i imagine it could be a sealant not curing properly or perhaps something odd happening with the car wash solution. i haven't seen it happen since, so i'd imagine a good clay/polish/wax would resolve that problem.

Old 03-30-2005 | 03:14 PM
Registered
Premier Member
has anyone used california blade..It looks safe..but I hard some horror story's and some good ones..

Old 03-30-2005 | 04:04 PM
i just washed my car for the first time and used a 220mph leaf blower to dry the car immediately after washing it. It dried up a large majority of the car, after which i just used a DF Towel and cleaned up the small spots that were left. The guy from DFtowels.com recommended this method. It worked really well and i had no water spots or streak marks anywhere.

Old 03-30-2005 | 04:47 PM
I use the CA waterblade myself and I have not had any swirl / scratch problems. I think the key is that there can be no dirt / debris left on the surface of the car when you start to use the CA waterblade, otherwise it will probably drag the debris and scratch the surface.

For me, I first wash the car down with just water, then I use the Crystal Guard wash and wipe the car down [MF towel]. Then I wash this off with just water again. Then I go back and apply the CG Quick [wipe down], and then wash off with just plain water. At that point is when I would use the CA waterblade to get excess water off. I also use an air compressor to blow the water out of the nooks and crannies...

Old 03-30-2005 | 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by G35Tuning
Im very **** when it comes to cleaning and maintaining the beauty and shine of my car, as I'm sure many of us are who browse through this detailing section are...Lately I'm getting very frustrated with drying my car...After my wash I run the hose without a nozzle and all that good stuff and then I dry with microfiber towels that I buy from Target...It looks fine and dandy at the time, however whenever I'm out at night and it gets a bit cold the car gets a lil frosty...Wouldn't you know that everytime I can see the wet streaks from where I ran the cloth over to dry the car...Does anybody else experience this? Its annoying, I have an IP so I never notice it during the day but at night when its parked under lights I can see the streaks...Should I be using a different type of towel? Are the microfibers from target just to cheap for proper drying? At night it looks like I do a half *** job at cleaning and drying but that couldn't be further from the truth...Any ideas here guys? Thanks
G35Tuning
I use a waffle weave MF drying towel manufactured by Sonus. I use two towels to dry my car and wash them after every use. I get no steaks at all. I use the Sonus detailing towel for the windows and trim. Check out this link. It has all kinds of great info and you can purchase the Sonus towels there also.

http://autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

Old 03-31-2005 | 01:25 AM
I like the California Water Blade/Drying towel combo method. I used the Blade to sheet off the water on the horizontal surfaces such as the roof, hood, and trunk. I also use it on the windows, which works great. I don't use it on the doors or side panels because the water sheets off there pretty well, and there's a higher probability of finding dirt on the lower portions of the car. Once I've sheeted off most of the water, I use my drying towel to get the rest. I personally believe this is the best of both worlds. The blade helps speed things up by taking off the standing water, and I don't have to use the towel for the whole car, thus avoiding swirl risks that towels (not blades) bring.

Like someone else mentioned, once the car is totally dry, the Zaino Z6 is the finishing touch. If you use a detailing spray afterwards, you'll never have to worry about streaks and your paint will always look freshly waxed.