Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Keep cats off car at night?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep cats off car at night?!?

Ok, some friggin' stray cat keeps sleeping on top of my car at night and I don't know how to stop this. How do I know? Well, everytime I clean my windshield, I see paw prints in the morning, always on the driver side.

The varmint hasn't scratched the paint (yet), but I don't want to wait and see. Anybody have any nifty tricks to keep this bugger off my car?

g35doman
'03.5 5AS, BS/G, Leather, Sport, 32%, Klasse

Old 06-12-2003, 12:31 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Keep cats off car at night?!?

Get a Scat Mat. It's a mat that's about 2'x3' and plugs into the wall-- it gives a low voltage shock to anything that touches it. Cat jumps on hood, cat jumps right back off. After two or three times, it's learned never to jump on cars. If you're worried about your paint, put down some newspaper under the matt and you're fine. Either that, or there's the more traditional methods of "oops, i forgot i locked the cat out" and "shotgun".

2003.5 Black w/ Willow
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint
Indianapolis, IN

Old 06-12-2003, 12:36 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A car cover would work. 'Worth the effort.

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 06-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

If you just go to work and come back, car cover definitely is the way to go, just watch out for cat hair on the cover- you can fold up the cover and end up with car hair on the inside and then all over your car. If it gets dirty, though, avoid the cover because you could scratch it up. I'm in and out of the house a lot, so to me it was worth it to teach the cat that if it jumps on the car, it gets a zap. My parents were rather complacent about this- my dad simply said "put on the car cover, it's not hard". I then parked HIS car in the other garage where mine goes... when the cat started jumping on his car instead, he changed his tune and got a scat mat. Good luck with the little bugger!
G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow
Indianapolis, IN

Old 06-12-2003, 03:59 PM

I personally am offended by the one poster who said to use a shotgun, this is inhumane and you should go to jail if you shoot a cat. The humane way of dealing with this feline is by setting a Hav-a-Heart trap, baited with sardines or such and this way you can safely trap the feline without hurting the poor dear thing. My advice then is to put the trap with the animal inside of your trunk and be careful not to hurt it. Make sure you give it plenty of water so it does not dehydrate. Then you drive to the highest mountain you can find and throw the friggin thing off of it by the tail, but make sure you save the trap so you can humanely trap others. I hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2003, 04:30 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure GeoBau wasn't serious about the shotgun bro. I can tell you from my experience with these peeps that we are all animal lovers and any silly threaths shouldn't be taken seriously. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 06-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

I followed your advice, however I forgot the water... and parked my black car in the sun for about three hours while I was on the phone with PETA re: my earlier post. Who told on me?? The ASPCA then knocked on my door and we had a bit of a chat for a while. When I went to get the cat it was, uh, a little dried out. Finger pointing between PETA and the ASPCA escalated into outright gang warfare in my front yard. Several small critters got caught in the crossfire, which just fanned the flames. The good thing about all this-- the paw prints are no longer an issue!
G

(no animals were harmed during the writing of this post. all characters are purely fictional, any resemblance to any real chipmonk, living or dead, is purely coincidental)

2003.5 Black w/ Willow
Indianapolis, IN

Old 06-12-2003, 06:23 PM

Oh yeah, cats are an endangered species!

I have the same problem, and I would love to catch the f-er with a shotgun, pellet gun, whatever I could! Give me a break with the bleeding hearts on cats!

Old 06-12-2003, 06:34 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Geo......... ROFL!!!!!!!! hahahaha good one

armalite.....its a stray cat...calm down..... shotguns are ok especially if your intention is to have some dinner

just think of cats as part of the food chain

with that being said, Cats are mostly dumb anyway.

Geo...spray some water on the cat, that tends to **** em off, good times [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow

Old 06-12-2003, 07:15 PM

armalite cracks me up...humanely trap it so you can throw it by the tail off a mtn...

Old 06-12-2003, 07:52 PM
IQ9

Throw some moth ***** around where you park your car. Cats don't seem to like the smell too much-it keeps them out of my yard and off my fence[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] You can trap it-pain in the a$$ and you get charged for the trap[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Well, in San Jo you do.Here though the "leash law" does apply to cats so if its got an owner they are going to get a warning after they pick up their cat at the local shelter. After that its $110 fine. I think they only get three strikes and the cat is put down- but will check on the "put down" part I might be wrong. Strays are a pain but some really aren't strays,big suprise, they just have lazy a$$ owners,who break the law daily like the rules don't apply to them.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 06-12-2003, 08:01 PM

Apparentley Rambo didn't read my entire post. I hate any cat that is prowling outside and have dealt with them in the past <evil grin>

Old 06-13-2003, 11:47 AM

armalite: with your ar-15, no doubt.

IQ9: moth ***** sound like a good one. i was thinking that, but wasn't sure if they would work.

my garage is in an apartment complex, so i don't have access to an outlet for the scat mat. it's weird that the cat never got on my old car when it was parked there. it must like the G too!

g35doman
'03.5 5AS, BS/G, Leather, Sport, 32%, Klasse

Old 06-15-2003, 11:02 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

I went to Petsmart today to get something for the ball of concentrated evil living in my house (read: sister's cat) and found something very cathartic- a cat toy "stick" of dynamite with catnip in it. Knowing where the paw-prints on my hood come from, it feels soothing to watch the cat play with it.
G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow
Indianapolis, IN

Old 06-16-2003, 07:22 PM

i have a similar problem except i fixed it i woke up to see a cat inside my garage on top of my car so im like wtf and i shewed it off but the little FU%$er jumped and scratched my sunroof yes it scrated the glass. after i ran after the cat for 5 min it never came back. But u need to scare it really bad and then it wont ever come back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keep cats off car at night?!?