Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

High Pressure Washer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 10:16 AM
G SQUAD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Punchit
I detail professionally and have not experimented with high pressure washers too much. I have friends that also detail professionally and some of them swear by pressure washers. I have always used the two bucket method, microfiber mitt and towels, etc. However, I try to stay open minded about these things though.
I know that the key to good detailing is to first remove all the contaminates on the vehicles surface. How does a pressure washer loosen all the contamination more safely than by hand? Seemingly after you have loosened it, your still blasting it across the paints surface. At those speeds that actually loosen derbis there has to be some serious pressure. With increased water pressure seemingly there would also be less lubrication between the contaminates and the clear coat. I don't think doing it by hand is much safer but I do think it more thoroughly cleans the vehicle as well. After a thorough cleaning now you can polish it and wax it and not have very dirty pads and grind in any remaing contamination.

As usual I agree with Jim Cambell that the touchless car washes are useless. As embarassing as it is to say, when I was in a rush one day I took it through there. I'm 100% sure fourth graders doing a fund raiser outside their school could have done a better job.

Not to stray off topic, but Punchit . . . you use a microfiber wash mitt . . . do you have problems with the Mitt holding contaminants/dirt while washing? When you dip a cotton chenile mitt in the rinse bucket (two bucket method of course), most of the stuff comes off the mitt, but with a microfiber everything seems to stick, no?

As for the pressure washer issue . . . I've been going back and forth on this a lot lately as well. I spoke with our sponsor (Detailing Dynamics) about this at length, and they feel that the pressure washer is a great tool if used properly. First and foremost, the pressure must not be too high. Second, the GPM must be sufficient (at least 2 gpm or above), other wise your mostly blow air and wasting your time.

The pressure washer spray must be at a wide angle (i.e. fan) and you should only spray your car from a distance at wish it wouldn't hurt to spray your hand. In other words, hold the nozzle away from your hand and spray your hand. Move your hand toward the nozzle. The distance at which it begins to sting is the MINIMUM distance you should be from your paint when using the pressure washer.

Remember, if its strong enough to remove your skin, you're probably gonna remove some paint too.