Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

High Pressure Washer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile High Pressure Washer

Will using high pressure hoses at the car wash remove wax?

Sometimes I dont even have to soap the car to get the dirt out, just spray it and it all comes off.

If it doesnt strip off my wax, I will buy one of those portable washers and wash my car almost daily since it is going to be so easy....

Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You can use a pressure washer, but it isn't recommended.

If there is dirt on your car (which I'm assuming there is because that's why you are washing it right?), then using the pressure washer to get the dirt off is somewhat similar to rubbing sand paper across your paint. The high pressure water is forcing the dirt particles into and across your paint. That means swirls and scrathes and all that other stuff we don't like.

Instead, invest in some good car wash soap, wash mitts, microfiber towels and 2 buckets. One bucket for soap and water solution, one of rinse water for rinsing the mitt to get all the dirt out.

There are some good posts in this forum (Detailing) about car washing procedures. Read them, then ask questions......

Old 08-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Premier Member

FYI, HIGH pressure washing your car WITHOUT touching it is much better. Washing your car with a wool mitt is the best way to go, BUT it will scratch a car more than a TOUCH FREE high pressure watch could ever hurt a car. Learn more from autopia.org.

Originally Posted by jimcambell
You can use a pressure washer, but it isn't recommended.

If there is dirt on your car (which I'm assuming there is because that's why you are washing it right?), then using the pressure washer to get the dirt off is somewhat similar to rubbing sand paper across your paint. The high pressure water is forcing the dirt particles into and across your paint. That means swirls and scrathes and all that other stuff we don't like.

Instead, invest in some good car wash soap, wash mitts, microfiber towels and 2 buckets. One bucket for soap and water solution, one of rinse water for rinsing the mitt to get all the dirt out.

There are some good posts in this forum (Detailing) about car washing procedures. Read them, then ask questions......

Old 08-19-2005, 08:05 PM
So what i'm gathering from this is it's ok to purchase those small portable pressure washers for cars that they sell at sam's or costco?

Old 08-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep - but just make sure the pressure isn't too high. Jim was right, if you force dirt across the surface of the paint it will marr it just as badly as using a sheepskin mitt. Another option in your case might be a spray and wipe wash like poorboys. I use it between washes and it works really well, like a beefed up quick detailing spray. Just use a good mf towel with it.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:25 PM
i'd definitely stay away from high pressure washing for your paint.

sorry g35_tx, can you please show me on autopia.org where they recommend high pressure over mitt and two buckets?

Old 08-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Those touchless car washes are worthless in my opinion. They do a good job of getting off the worst stuff, but get within 10 feet and it looks like crap. I'll stick to hand washing thank you very much.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by tkman00
i'd definitely stay away from high pressure washing for your paint.

sorry g35_tx, can you please show me on autopia.org where they recommend high pressure over mitt and two buckets?
http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....+pressure+wash

There is nothing on Autopia that says otherwise. High Pressure PSI if used properly are the best thing to come for a detailer. It's like would you rather use a mitt to move the dirt over the paint onto the MITT but still scratching the paint while your at it, or have a high pressure that removes the dirt off the paint without you touching it. It's common sense.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:02 PM
hey whatever works for you. for starters, the impression i get is that pros who use high pressure washers for detailing know how to use it properly in that they dont use full pressure, they use it at very gentle angles and the use the fan nozzle. others would only generally use it on wheelwells and tires. at least that's the impression i get when reading thru that thread, as well as most of the other threads pertaining to any type of washing.

touchless washes is probably the worst thing you can do for your car when it comes to scratching the paint. you have to examine what they do for water filtration, consider what kind of vehicle went thru several cars before you. and the finally there's the drying w/ the recycled towels.

lastly you would be a fool to take a wash mitt to a dry dirty car w/o hosing it down properly first.

for the average joe i would definitely advocate *against* the use of a high pressure washer. but like i said, whatever works best for you.

Old 08-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverII
Will using high pressure hoses at the car wash remove wax?

Sometimes I dont even have to soap the car to get the dirt out, just spray it and it all comes off.

If it doesnt strip off my wax, I will buy one of those portable washers and wash my car almost daily since it is going to be so easy....

Thanks!!!!!!!
SilverII,

I've been using a pressure washer for over 10 years when cleaning my car. I have never come across any problems when using it regarding paint damage. Yes, the dirt will be almost removed but still the car will need to be washed properly and re-rinsed.
When using it, just make sure the spray is in a "fan" pattern as mentioned in a previous reply. Don't aim the wand in one particular place for any long length of time just to be on the safe side.
When cleaning your wheels, you can adjust the spray pattern accordingly for dirt removal. That's the main reason why I purchased a power washer.
My power washer runs at about 1250psi which is more than enough. Its made by Simoniz. Make sure that the are ample places for repair incase of a worse case senario occurs.
I have never had problems with the washer removing wax either. Remember that wax has to be reapplied every so often. It doesn't last for an entire year. Two to four times at least( depending on the climate you are in) a year.
Some synthetic waxes will last a little longer though.

Good Luck,

35BILLS

Old 08-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Premier Member

Hosing down a car before taking a mitt to it only gets rid of the loose dirt, not the embedded dirt. You still have to use the mitt to get that dirt off and it will still scratch the car.

Originally Posted by tkman00
hey whatever works for you. for starters, the impression i get is that pros who use high pressure washers for detailing know how to use it properly in that they dont use full pressure, they use it at very gentle angles and the use the fan nozzle. others would only generally use it on wheelwells and tires. at least that's the impression i get when reading thru that thread, as well as most of the other threads pertaining to any type of washing.

touchless washes is probably the worst thing you can do for your car when it comes to scratching the paint. you have to examine what they do for water filtration, consider what kind of vehicle went thru several cars before you. and the finally there's the drying w/ the recycled towels.

lastly you would be a fool to take a wash mitt to a dry dirty car w/o hosing it down properly first.

for the average joe i would definitely advocate *against* the use of a high pressure washer. but like i said, whatever works best for you.

Old 08-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the replies.... Now, all I have to do is find a deal on a power washer....

Old 08-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I would never use a high pressure Power Washer on it. Guaranteed to remove the wax, will never get all the particulate off of it and will have to hand wash anyway again to get it really clean.

If it is not filthy, just use good microfiber mit or towell, and clear running water with a constant flow and wipe it down from top to bottom.

Use a good hi-speed leaf blower (clean) and start at the top, then work down. It gets ALL the water out of places you just can not get to with a towel.

Your wax will stay on seemingly forever with no soap and a good blow dry.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:04 PM
I detail professionally and have not experimented with high pressure washers too much. I have friends that also detail professionally and some of them swear by pressure washers. I have always used the two bucket method, microfiber mitt and towels, etc. However, I try to stay open minded about these things though.
I know that the key to good detailing is to first remove all the contaminates on the vehicles surface. How does a pressure washer loosen all the contamination more safely than by hand? Seemingly after you have loosened it, your still blasting it across the paints surface. At those speeds that actually loosen derbis there has to be some serious pressure. With increased water pressure seemingly there would also be less lubrication between the contaminates and the clear coat. I don't think doing it by hand is much safer but I do think it more thoroughly cleans the vehicle as well. After a thorough cleaning now you can polish it and wax it and not have very dirty pads and grind in any remaing contamination.

As usual I agree with Jim Cambell that the touchless car washes are useless. As embarassing as it is to say, when I was in a rush one day I took it through there. I'm 100% sure fourth graders doing a fund raiser outside their school could have done a better job.

Old 08-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by AvFlyGuy
I would never use a high pressure Power Washer on it. Guaranteed to remove the wax, will never get all the particulate off of it and will have to hand wash anyway again to get it really clean.

If it is not filthy, just use good microfiber mit or towell, and clear running water with a constant flow and wipe it down from top to bottom.

Use a good hi-speed leaf blower (clean) and start at the top, then work down. It gets ALL the water out of places you just can not get to with a towel.

Your wax will stay on seemingly forever with no soap and a good blow dry.
Ummm dunno where you get your info, but a PSI pressure washer will not remove wax period. If you go to a touchfree wash, those might due to the fact they use chemicals to remove the dirt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Pressure Washer