Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Lumar Vs. Johnson Tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lumar Vs. Johnson Tint

Okay, looks like my car has finally arrived.......and earlier than expected at that....I should be picking it up this weekend or monday,,,,,trying to get more money from my trading.........I'm gonna take a beating no matter how you look at it, but maybe I can soften the blow.

So I'm calling around checking out tint brands and companys. I had my wife's Lexus RX330 tinted with Lumar brand about a month ago and I like the tint just wasn't happy that they didn't tint to the very edge of the window like I wanted. Oh well! Now it's my turn to tint MY car.....I coulg go back to the same shop and use Lumar and request the go all the way to the edge, or I could go to another tint shop that uses Johnson's tint.
What's your guys opinions about the 2 brands? Any experiences with either? Thanks!

"Use the Forced Induction Luke!"
-Jedi
Ordered 4/03: 2003 G35C, 6MT, Blk/Blk. Loaded ETA ~ 7/03

Old 07-03-2003, 08:53 PM
Re: Lumar Vs. Johnson Tint

I just had mine done today with Lumar Platinum Plus..all the way to the edge... came out very nice... I think the installer plays a big roll in how it turns out.. I am sure all films are not created equal... but I have had two vehicles done with Lumar and not a problem at all... good luck!

TC

"There is a Very Fine Line Between "Hobby and Mental Illness".

Old 07-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most high quality tints offer virtually the same protection/look. It all depends on the installer. I really wanted Johnson's Tint, but I couldn't find a reputable installer. So what's the point of having a high quality tint if they can't install it properly? As long as you find a great installer, they will use high quality tints, and you should be good to go with whichever brand.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:55 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a new type of tint called Huper Optic on my coupe. It is ceramic based. Has the advantage of rejecting more heat than even metallic tints and does not affect radio reception.
I am very happy with it. Since I live in Calif. and tint on the front doors is illegal, I had an almost clear Huper Optic tint put on the front doors that is supposed to reject about 50% of the heat - and it feels like it does! (It works so well I am considering putting it on the windshield). The rest of the windows are a typical darker color. The install was first rate-looks like the car came from the factory with it.
The negative - the price. About 2x other tints.

Old 07-23-2003, 01:13 AM

Next week, I will have the Huper Optic installed on my G Sedan. Cost a little more, but, it looks better and does not mess with the radio or navigation.

2003.5 BS, Prem, Navi, Sport

Old 07-23-2003, 09:35 AM

The navigation antenna on the G35 "looks" thru the windshield, not the back glass as on most other cars.

So tint should not affect it, unless you're gonna have the windshield tinted......

Old 07-24-2003, 02:50 AM

I just did Lumar 2 weekends ago... its beautiful.. I wanted it darker but thats the darkest they had... My car is dirty but if you would like I could take pics.. Its weird because my cousin who lives 2 doors down from me drives a 325i and we usually get the same thing on our cars.. and he got the Johnson and I got the Lummar... I like mine better because it feels like it rejects more heat and looks really sexy when looking at it from the side.. So if you want the pics.. just PM me and I will send em to you or post them in this post

BaDbOy - "bLaCk BeAuTy"
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=321439

Old 07-24-2003, 03:44 AM

Huper Optic is probably the best tint film in the industry. Second to that would be Madico. What makes Huper Optik special is the ceramic series, which will reduce wave distortion (am/fm tuner, navigation, alarm radars, alarm pager transmitters)............but the darker you go, even with Huper Optiks, can still cause distortion.