Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What to do after wash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do after wash?

Hey guys,
I haven't got my g35 yet, getting it in early nov, but I'm already researching and got deeply interested with it. Of course, that includes detailing. Driving a RAV4 right now, I only do rinse, wash(rims then body), rinse, dry. But I know for my g35, I should be taking better care.

Sorry for the noobish question, but what will you guys recommand me to do, as coming new to car detailing? I live in Canada btw, and I think I can probably get all the stuff I need from Canadian Tire, I do prefer to stay away from overseas/US orders as the customs here is a mess to deal with. Steps, directions, tips, would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

thanks

Old 10-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An early congrats to you on a brand spanking new '06.

Check out this site. There's plenty of good stuff here.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

Please do post pics of your new g when you have an opportunity.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:31 AM
I will sure do that. Btw, my 06 will be an IP coupe.

I read on Mother's detailing guide that light color cars can get away with combining polish/seal/wax into 1 step using one of their product. What are you guys' stance on it?

Old 10-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I think they mean something like Klasse AIO, which is a cleaner polish as well as a sealant mixed together. It's been around for 45 years, so obviously it's doing something right. I only use it to clean, not to seal though. It would work as a polish/sealant, and would even work by hand. If you want to save time you could get the car, wash it really well, then apply klasse aio by hand via the instructions and call it a day. If you want to add a wax over it you could do that too. Which wax is up to you.

Here is what I do when I get a new car.

First, I tell them not to prep it. Assuming the car is coming off the boat I would tell my dealer to get it to their lot then leave it alone, no prep at all. In your case you might want to tell them to take the plastic off, since it can be a pain, but not to rotary or wash it. Dealer prep is just another term for "screw your paint up". If it's not an off the boat car, prep has been done already and it's been sitting on a lot, so they might as well wash it.

When I got it home I would wash it, clay it, then polish it with Klasse AIO and a Porter Cable. If it has been prepped it might need something stronger before the AIO to remove any dealer induced swirls or marring. In this case I'd use Optimum Polish or Compound, Poorboys SSR2 or 2.5, Sonus SFX-2, or Menzerna Intense Polish. Either way I would follow up with a glaze, something like Sonus SFX-3 (not really a glaze, but close), Menzerna FP, or Clearkote Vanilla Moose, then I would seal the car with my sealant of choice (there are about a million), then follow with a wax, or just leave it after the sealant if I was happy with the look.

Some sealants you can find locally are Meg's NXT Liquid, Mothers Liquid Sealant, Megs Gold Class Sealant, or if you want to use a wax you can grab some Megs NXT paste Wax or something similar. If you go online there is a whole myriad of choices. Shoot over to Autopia, check the "click and brag" section and look for white cars to see what people are using. I think a very popular combo right now is Poorboys EX-P sealant topped with Poorboys White or Blue Paste Wax, or just 4* UPP sealant.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:18 AM
thanks for the response. So to put it in simpler terms, I should wash, dry, clay, seal, then wax?

Old 10-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, or you can skip the wax if you're happy with the look after sealing. And if you polish that comes after clay, but before sealing.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AFTER i got my G, I gave it a thorough washing. I was lucky . . . The paint was smooooth.

As I have always done with my cars . . . I applied Klasse AIO. That was followed by 3 apps of Klasse SG, which was followed by 1 app of P21s carnuba wax. I wax once a month . . . Or attempt to.

After future washing you may apply an additional app of the Klasse SG, if so desired, prior to waxing.

I reapply the Klasse AIO about every 6 months and start the entire process all over again.