Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What speed leaf blower?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What speed leaf blower?

I've seen a lot of people suggest using a leaf blower to dry your G after a wash, but I don't see a speed recommendation. The prices of leaf blowers vary greatly, so what speed do I need for the blower to do an adequate job of drying?

Old 10-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Hmmm I got mine at Home Slopot i mean DEPOT and paid around $50 $55 beans. It was a black and decker vortex I think that shoots out about 200MPH I think. It does the trick! Stick with electric as the gas may spew dirt/oil etc on the car!

Old 10-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$50 doesn't sound bad, do these leaf blowers dry the car reall good and fast? do they work better than those big blue microfiber towels or no? if so, i may invest in one...

Old 10-22-2005, 03:00 PM
I will admit I was standoffish at first, but lemme tell you, they are worth their weight in gold. If you keep your car well waxed, these babies dry your car so well it's not even funny! This time of year you may be able to pick them up cheap! For me it was a no brainer since my aftermarket wheels are a biatch to dry since they hold about a gallon of water per wheel! Now Ijust blow it out and dry the tire too so I can apply dressing right away! The thing is great and you can dry your car in about 10 minutes as well as get water out of every crack much better then you can do normally. It's not 100% as some water will always be trapped somewhere, but to think youavcoid touching the car, get just about 100% of the water off it, no risk for swirls etc, and make the car dry enough to wax right after.....NO BRAINER!!! Best $55 I spent on "detailing" supplies!

Old 10-22-2005, 03:02 PM
OK I went and bought this badboy:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...591&lpage=none

Also, I don't know if this is nationwide or not, but when they printed out my reciept they said there was a $10 mail in rebate. That brings the total price to $49; well worth it if it works as well as everyone says they do.

I'll be washing the G tomorrow after the rain goes away and I'll give you an update

Last edited by kajoob; 10-22-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have this one, didn't buy it for the car, but I use it on all the nooks and crannies, door handles, mirrors etc, to blow out the water, don't use it to dry the car though, works great, no more water trails when I drive it after a wash.
B&D Cordless

Old 10-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Def. one of the first things I will be buying upon purchasing a house.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Why not use Mr.Clean auto car wash?

Old 10-22-2005, 11:59 PM
There is both pros n cons to that which has been mentioned in other posts. If you prefer a certain system, for examle zaino, most like to stay with their line throughout, soap, polish, quick detail spray etc so that makes the Mr Clean absolete since you are supposed to use their soap or figure out the dilution factor for your own soap. The filter is the main component for the Mr Clean thing and with that flow rate, I can dry my car twice and be guaranteed no spots. I guess it's whatever put the cream in your twinkie.

Old 10-23-2005, 05:01 PM
OK the leafblower experiment was mostly a success:

Pros:
-Was able to get the car most of the way dry
-Got into the nooks and crannies (grill and mirrors)
-Saved a ton of time

Cons:
-Not every last bit of water can be removed, so you still have to use a microfiber towel to avoid water spots
-Be careful that you don't hit your paint with the blower
-Neighbors may look at you funny

Overrall I'd say if you don't mind shelling out a few bucks for a leafblower, it will save you some time and maybe some water spots, however, you can achieve the same results with a microfiber drying towel if you want to use a little more elbow grease. I am going to keep the leafblower and will use that to dry my G.

Old 10-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Don't forget that using a leaf blower eliminates the a huge step that has a high potential for causing swirl marks! IF you dont touch the car, you can't get swirls! And yes the neighbors will look at you funny but, they will get over it! LOL

Old 10-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone that's owned a motorcycle will not laugh.... : )

Old 10-27-2005, 09:34 PM
I purchased a Shop-Vac about a month ago with a detachable blower. Lowe's sells them for about $60 and it features twelve gallon capacity and 5.5 peak horsepower.

Old 11-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel1
Don't forget that using a leaf blower eliminates the a huge step that has a high potential for causing swirl marks! IF you dont touch the car, you can't get swirls! And yes the neighbors will look at you funny but, they will get over it! LOL
I used my leaf blower once. Not only did I get crap from my neighbors, who happen to be good friends, my wife honestly thought I had lost my mind. I figured I had two options: Have my wife commit me to a home or stop using the blower. I chose #2. However... I did hear about using the compressed air cans that people use to clean electronics... hmm... (maybe I have lost my mind).

Old 11-01-2005, 03:19 PM
I got this one this weekend - worked great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What speed leaf blower?