Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Cleaning wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning wheels

Does anyone know of any wheel cleaner that does not require water to help with the cleaning. I live in an apartment and don't have access to running water. And i have tons of brake dust on my new rims. Thanks for any help.

David

Old 11-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Umm.. I don't think anything exists like that. Your best bet would be a small bucket of soap water. Then another bucket for a quick rinse using a sponge.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:36 PM
That's what I figured.
Thanks

Old 11-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing to consider is using an all in one cleaner like Klasse AIO on your wheels. It has chemical cleaners that can help remove some of the grime. Waxes have solvents in them as well and you can use that to clean your wheels. I'd definitely recommend microfiber towels. I'm relatively local to you so let me know if you need towels/products. PM or email me at robin@attn-to-details.com

Old 11-16-2005, 01:33 PM
This may be heresay but I keep my wheels (OEM) daily by just wiping them down with a soft cloth without anything else. Using aio as a start is helpful. To me the key is nevering letting them get bad. A quick wipe down takes maybe 5 minutes.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cfrago
This may be heresay but I keep my wheels (OEM) daily by just wiping them down with a soft cloth without anything else. Using aio as a start is helpful. To me the key is nevering letting them get bad. A quick wipe down takes maybe 5 minutes.
I do the same thing. Last night i took a terry cloth (dry), and wiped the wheels off. The brake dust comes off like nothing, but like cfrago said, dont let them get bad because then it will be a b1tch to clean also it will stain or damage your rims.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:11 PM
cfrago and hye_G, have you put anything on your rims? (like polish stuff, wheel wax, etc)

Old 11-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Agree. The wiping daily works.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Wheel Wax works great for me.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:17 PM
The first question that we need an answer to...are the rims clear coated?

If they are you definitely do not want to wipe the rims with a dry cloth. Brake dust is like a very fine rubbing compound and will only damage the coating.

I personally use a hose and a lot of soapy water and a dedicated sponge that I only use on the rims.

I have also used a product called "REJEX" its a polymer wax that does not attract as much dust as some waxes and it seams to help when cleaning.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Poorboys Wheel Sealant + a wipedown with really diluted simple green (20:1) every couple days = profit.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by picus112
Poorboys Wheel Sealant + a wipedown with really diluted simple green (20:1) every couple days = profit.
LOL, I like the formula. Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant is a gift from God. It saves me so much time from removing brake dust that comes flying of the pads at sizziling temps from etching into the wheel. Its reduced my cleaning time in half.

Poorboy's World also makes a product called Spray and Wipe that basically like a waterless wash. You can use it on wheels and I don't recommend it on painted surfaces unless its already very clean.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by afr0puff
Umm.. I don't think anything exists like that. Your best bet would be a small bucket of soap water. Then another bucket for a quick rinse using a sponge.
Don't be so sure!!!

PM DUCATIGUY and grab some of his DucsMILK! The stuff works great on factory or aftermarket wheels!! It contains break dust cleaner and a polish! Great stuff for your application. I would just do it every couple of days so you don't do it when the wheels are reallllllly bad!

Old 11-17-2005, 09:53 PM
yeah if you have aftermarket wheels that has clear coat you can ruin the paint if you use wheel cleaners because some of them have aciditic chemicals that will ruin the wheels

Old 11-18-2005, 12:48 PM
I don't usually put anything on the rims. Once in a while I will lightly put on some spray wax, but I figure ( could be wrong) that my almost daily dry wiping would end up quickly taking off any wax. If anyone thinks I'm wrong, let me know. I most likely would use klasse aio on them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cleaning wheels