Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Orbital Buffing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Orbital Buffing

i just purchased a used orbital buffer and im not queit sure on how safe it is to use. It spins very fast, which i believe is a plus, but im afraid maybe i could wear the paint while waxing? Also, it came with 3 thin blue applicater pads, which are used and have old wax on them, should i buy new ones before applying wax? and also, where could i find pads for the buffer. Also, the polishing pad is a bit dirty, is it safe to machine wash, or should i just purchase a new one as well?

Anyways, i have waxed my car 3 times by hand so far and i was convinced to buy a buffer to speed it up, any tips for useing it? Dont want to ruin my paint applying or taking off the wax.

Lastly....is it safe to wax a car say...2 times a month?

Old 01-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to help you with your questions. First, I need to know what you are dealing with. Is this a big 10" or so random orbital buffer (like a Wax Master or something) or is this a smaller dual action polisher (like a G100 or Porter Cable 7424/7436) or is this a rotary buffer (maybe a Makita...)? If you let me know the name on it, that would probably help. I am not meaning to insult your knowledge, but here are the three main types.

Wax Master-type

Dual Action

Rotary

As a quick answer, it is always best to start with fresh pads. I usually hand wash mine with Woolite for the lighter stuff or Dawn for the really bad pads.

-GT

Originally Posted by Otacon132
i just purchased a used orbital buffer and im not queit sure on how safe it is to use. It spins very fast, which i believe is a plus, but im afraid maybe i could wear the paint while waxing? Also, it came with 3 thin blue applicater pads, which are used and have old wax on them, should i buy new ones before applying wax? and also, where could i find pads for the buffer. Also, the polishing pad is a bit dirty, is it safe to machine wash, or should i just purchase a new one as well?

Anyways, i have waxed my car 3 times by hand so far and i was convinced to buy a buffer to speed it up, any tips for useing it? Dont want to ruin my paint applying or taking off the wax.

Last edited by GTScott; 01-17-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hi - and thanks for the response the buffer is Craftsman 9 5/8" buffer/polisher - here is a pic of it:

Last edited by Otacon132; 01-17-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Perfect - that is the first type. These types of buffers are good for applying waxes and sealants. The larger head will make it somewhat difficult to go into some tighter spaces so be sure to get those spots by hand.

As for the pads. I believe that has a fixed pad with removeable bonnets. I usually use microfiber bonnets for most products. These can be found at AutoZone or a similar auto parts store. Before going, be sure to measure the diameter of your buffer's pad.

The bonnets are relatively cheap so, if I were you, I would go with some new bonnets. Afterall, this is cheaper than fixing the scratches later.

For use, I would use a MF or terry pad for applying your wax or sealant. Put about three (3) 2" long lines of your product at around 12:00, 4:00, and 8:00 on the pad. Put the buffer onto the surface and THEN turn it on. This will limit any sling. You want to work the product around the surface and get a layer as thin as possible. If you are using a product like NXT polish, be careful on your trim as many of these products will stain your trim.

Follow the directions on your product for drying time. Then, to remove the product, I would personally do it by hand. I find that when you machine-apply a product it is so easy to remove by hand that the buffer is not needed. However, if you chose to use the buffer, put the MF bonnet on, place the unit on the surface, and start removing the product. Keep a good eye on the amount of build up that you get on your bonnet. When it becomes somewhat caked up, put on a new bonnet. I would think it would take 3-4 to properly do a car the size of a G sedan.

While you should respect any machinery that you place on the surface of the car, a large orbital buffer like that is not likely to do much damage. they are very user friendly.

If you desire to do more polishing or paint correction, you might want to look to a dual action polisher.

-GT

Old 01-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Otacon132

Check out http://www.properautocare.com .
A great site with lots of info pertaining to keeping your car looking shiney clean, inside and out.

Bill

Old 01-18-2006, 12:38 PM
In the interest of other sites....
http://www.autopia.org and http://www.detailcity.com are two GREAT resources for detailing information.

-GT