Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Interior is really pissing me off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2006 | 12:09 AM
|
Call the Cops
Interior is really pissing me off

The 04 interior, which is black, looks like sh*t. i hate the seats.. both of them have huge creases on the side cushions and some from just sitting normal. one of my friends went to get something from the back seat the other day, and as he was reaching back he was kneeling on the seat which left crease marks all over it. the door panels are just as bad. i hate the vinyl it makes it look so dull. i thought the center console and the painted plastic were supposed to be bad on the 03-04's, but thats the best part.
to make matters worse, the crappy "Leather in a bottle" and the spray sh*t from f**king Zaino leaves the seats greasy and they look sooo bad. the spray stuff is the worst, i used it to clean the top of the dashboard and it smears like crazy. that stuff also ruined the cd player display and the guage strip which shows the temp/heating controls.. it permenantly left smear marks on them and there are tiny dots baked into it.. which are noticable at night.
it not like i left the stuff on there, i just sprayed and swiped.
i wish i just left it the way it was when i first got it, and just cleaned it with a dry towel.. im such an idiot.. any ideas

Last edited by Basheer; 01-04-2006 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-04-2006 | 10:45 AM
I never used the Zaino interior stuff. I think all their stuff is WAY overrated and overpriced. Use Lexol on the leather every 2-3 months and it will last a long time.

The Mequiars interior detail http://www.meguiars.com/estore/ does a good job on the plastic bits. But for the paint try their NXT tech wax. Wow.

Old 01-04-2006 | 11:06 AM
+1 for the above post.

I use Megs Quick interior detailer and a microfiber to towel to wipe all of the dash and console display items (including my nav screen) as well as the metal trim. It works great without leaving any residue or streaking. I use their NXT Tech Protectant for all other plastic and vinyl interior parts.

If you check out the Megs stuff, you might want to try the PlasticX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish followed by their Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Detailer. This should help remove the spots and streaking you described. (NOTE: I have not actually used these products on the interior of my G. I have used them on my wife's BMW headlights and they worked wonders. Megauirs does recommend these products for use on interior instrument panels, etc so it should work great but try to test it first if you can.)

As for the leather seats, try the lexol but be sure to wipe the excess conditioner off a few minutes after you apply per the instructions on the bottle. This should avoid any greasy residue.

I can't be of any help on the creases. My guess would be that any creasing is a function of the type of leather used by Infiniti.

Last edited by jameyb; 01-04-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-04-2006 | 11:57 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni
Well, you have two options with the leather seats. The first is to use Lexol, which is good stuff at maintaining how the seats currently look. If you want to give them a little kick in the butt grab some leatherique pristine clean and follow the instructions, they have a product that's almost more of a "re-conditioner" than a conditioner. You could get both and use the leatherique to get them smooth then the lexol to maintain them. Here is a thread with some leatherique results.

http://clublexus.com/forums/showthre...ht=leatherique

Regarding the vinyl, I use Poorboys natural dressing - it pretty much achieves the same results as most vinyl dressings (like aerospace 303 or whatever), but it less glossy and lasts longer.

I'd do as jameyb said and try plasticx on the plastic parts you mentioned.

Cheers.

Old 01-04-2006 | 12:39 PM
Double the recommendation for the leatherique!

The stuff works miracles for leather.

Can't say what it will actually do for the Infiniti leather but a while back, I owned a '95 Maxima WITHOUT leather seats. Regretting my decision, I hunted far and wide for places that would do leather upholstery installs. The prices I got quoted were outrageous.

I later found a totaled Maxima with full leather seats sitting in a junkyard in Texas. I called to check the condition and the guy told me that there were no tears, but the leather had been sitting in the Texas sun for quite a while and was pretty "stiff and hard." The price he quoted me for the complete interior seats was about a quarter of the price I was getting for re-upholstering.

A friend who restores old Mercedes and BMW's told me that he frequently uses Leatherique to restore the leather interiors and to give it a try. I checked out their website and thought, what the heck.

Man, when those seats arrived, they were terrible. About as stiff as hard plastic. I took that leather and painstakingly treated the seats step-by-step as outlined on their website. After about a week, the seats not only looked great, but felt practically new. I was convinced.

Now, I know these were "old" seats I was treating but they have a multitude of leather treatments that people swear by. I can't vouch for those but I do believe in their products and intend on trying them out when my banker (wife) loosens the purse strings so I can start taking care of our car.

Old 01-04-2006 | 01:00 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
I have used Zaino, Lexol and Meguires on my seats out of all of them. Zaino is the best. It has the best smell, it wipes on easy, and it also makes the seats much softer (the way leather should be). Lexol doesn't have a great smell to it, but also requires more rubbing to get it into the seats well. But its my 2nd choice when I am out of Zaino.

Meguires flat out was terrible. It definitely required a lot more work putting it on the seats. It doesn't spread easy like Lexol or Zaino does.

Old 01-04-2006 | 01:08 PM
no product out there smells better than Zaino. It does leave it a little greasy, but thats because you are supposed to apply it and leave overnight so the leather absorbs the product.

Old 01-04-2006 | 03:41 PM
I have been using Zaino from day one and found this is pretty good stuff for the leather seats. I used Lexol before and still like Zaino for the leather smells. Don't know why you are have greasy stuff after you applied. May be you applied too much???

Old 01-05-2006 | 05:18 PM
Lexol leaves a better shine I must admit, and it isnt as greasy as Zaino, but the smell Zaino provides just makes up for it.

Old 01-17-2006 | 10:09 PM
I've used the Zaino Leather in a Bottle on both my G's, my '04 was Graphite, and it never left it looking greasy, always looked original, you must be using way too much, leather will get a sheen to it after awhile just from normal usage.

Old 01-17-2006 | 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
Z9 and Z10 . . . Never have had any problems.

Old 01-18-2006 | 03:42 PM
Definately check out www.leatherique.com. I have used on 2 Lexus and it makes a huge difference. You can email the owner, and he will get back to you immediately with help. It is a family owned business for decades that works with exotic car restoration. You can get the seats looking good again. I have had to learn to like the creases, as long as the leather is supple they should not tear.

Old 01-18-2006 | 10:11 PM
Z10 is amazing, i dont know why your having those problems. I applied Z10 today for the first time and omg the smell is amazing!!!!!