Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

zaino on my dg coupe is weak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by greenery
well, after busting my *** washing,claybarring, then washing again, then using z5,z6,z2,z6,z2,z6. I was expecting some crazy shine and depth, but i am not impressed to say the least. Is is because my car is dg? i kno black looks amazing with zaino but is it posible for dg to look amazing with zaino? I am disappointed, and i think i would have had better results with something else maybe.
How's this for Zaino on dg
After a normal wash... not a detail session.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I hope you use a car cover! There is all kinds of bad stuff flying around in a shipyard. As ZZ Top says, "Cover your rig"
i actually don't use a car cover at work. i just have an expensive water bill at home ! the only blemishes i have are from daily driving. of course the black plastic pieces aren't "brand new" looking, but i've got extra sets of them

Old 02-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, after being a detailer for years, Zaino works really well on dark colors, not as "wet" looking on metallic paints, like the DG. I am actually picking up a DG this weekend, and what I have found works really well is Poorboys World products. I wash, using two wash mits, one for the lower portion of the car, one for the tops (roof, hood, trunk) so that dirt particles from the side skirts, for example, aren't trapped in the wash mit and ground into the paint on the hood. Then, after a good clay, use some Poorboy's SSR 2.5 swirl remover with a good orbital buffer, like a Porter Cable 7424. I usually follow that with a good coat of Vanilla Moose Wax, then get out another attchment for the buffer and polish it with Poorboy's XP Sealant. Finally Natty's Paste Wax or Zymol Japon has great carnuba content, and seals in the shine. Here's a few pics of the old Evo, which was black, so I know its sort of different than the DG, but I'll post some pics after the first detail of the DG hopefully real soon!

Old 02-08-2006, 02:13 PM
I have a black G and was expecting alot more after my first Zaino session. After I gave it a few more layers of Z2, .......well, I am still using it!

LAYER IT UP!!!

If you di the proper prep, don't be afraid to add a layer each weekend or so until you have 5 or so layers on. You will notice a difference!

The additional layers will be much easier especially if:

After the wash, spray entire car with Z6

Throw the thinnest layer possible of Z2

ALLOW TO DRY!!!

Buff off and Z6 again!

Next day or weekend (allow 24hrs cure time between coats unless you use ZFX which should only be used 1-2 times a year) - repeat!

Tip: In order to get the thinnest coat possible of Z2, spray the applicator with 1 quick squirt of Z6 n shake out the applicator. This will allow you to apply a very thin coat and make it easier to remove.

Total process after the was should take about 30-40 min to apply, dry time, and then 30 min to remove and spray with Z6

Trust me - you already spent the time to prep and already bought the products, just give it a chance by layering it! The shine will show!

Old 02-08-2006, 02:35 PM
How does it take you guys soo long to wax or zaino a car? I wax my car bout everi other day. to apply and take off, i do it in under 30 min. That includes cleanin the wheels too. What are you guys doin that is soo different than me?

Old 02-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by GYAl8er
How does it take you guys soo long to wax or zaino a car? I wax my car bout everi other day. to apply and take off, i do it in under 30 min. That includes cleanin the wheels too. What are you guys doin that is soo different than me?
It just depends on how detailed and thorough you want/need to be, as well as how well it has been maintained, how long since the last wax, etc. There are a ton of variables. If I just washed/waxed/sealed my car, and it rains out, for example, I can wash it and apply a thin coat of wax in under 30. I don't know what else would be different.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:18 PM
to the original post:
i've had the same experiences with my BS coupe.
realize to some extent on our colors its not going to look like it would on say a black or really dark car.
layer up or try something else.

oh- and its sustaining power is crazy. a half year later and it looks like the day i put it on. water just sheets off!

Old 02-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Agreed - Zaino > all.

It's actually pretty impressive on light cars too... It brought out colors and sub-hues in my Ivory Pearl Quartz Q45t paint (which is 11 years old, looks like Day 1).

You can also add a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class OVER the Zaino for an even deeper gloss...

I've been using this stuff since it was "underground"... World of Wheels entrant 1989-1990.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Next day or weekend (allow 24hrs cure time between coats unless you use ZFX which should only be used 1-2 times a year) - repeat!

I've never heard of that, are you sure that you can only use it a few times a year. I already used it three times in a 2-day span.

that black lancer is lookin real nice,good job with the detailing.
Thanks for the replies

Old 02-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by greenery
I've never heard of that, are you sure that you can only use it a few times a year. I already used it three times in a 2-day span.

that black lancer is lookin real nice,good job with the detailing.
Thanks for the replies
Yup right on Sals website. He reco's only using it once per year on show cars, twice per year on daily drivers, but it's not like your paint is going to fall off or anything if you use it more then that. Keep in mind that the little vial is expensive for a reason, it will last a long time and you shouldn't need to replace it all that often. I have had mine for almost 2 yrs.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:36 PM
^^^wow i didnt know that either!!!
and i've read every page on that website twice! lol
good to know

Old 02-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I am disappointed with Zaino as well-I used it on solid coloured(red) previous car and silver G35.
Side by side other cheaper and less time consuming waxes looked better and lasted longer.
Pics of Lancer mean nothing-I can take pics at proper angle of my moms 1999Civic which was waxed about 3 times and you will say "wow"

Old 02-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I can understand the shine Zaino creates is not everyones cup of tea. I have a black G and it makes the paint reflect like a mirror...not a bad thing in my eyes but some may like a wax that isn't quite so reflective. It beads water like no other wax I've ever seen and maintains the sheeting action for months on end. I love driving in the rain and watching the water run up the hood.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Zaino is garbage? LOL

You need to tag the the poster who made that claim and disregard everything she says from here on out. Zaino works well and is the most durable synthetic on the market. It takes a while to apply and the paint should obviously be prepared properly, but you'll get great results if you take your time and follow the directions.

I'm guessing the person who called it garbage is using either Mr. Clean or "wax as you dry." LOL

Old 02-08-2006, 09:58 PM
^ Agreed...

There's a reason the NSX / Vette / Jag / Bentley / Rolls clubs tested and chose it over anything else on the market, regardless of price.

Of course, most people still call it "wax", so I'm not surprised they just don't "get it".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: zaino on my dg coupe is weak