Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

zaino on my dg coupe is weak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
Diesel - you're right, in general sealants are more durable than waxes. How much more durable is arguable of course, but I think 2-4 months with a wax and 4-6 months with a good sealant is pretty standard. Of course there are exceptions to this rule - Collinite 845 has outlasted any sealant I've ever used in my experience. Then again it has a pretty specific look that not everyone will like.

I think we can all agree after reading this thread that it's different strokes for different folks, and that a car that is properly prepped will look good with just about and sealant or wax on it. I personally tend to gravitate towards waxes, but only because I like the more "muted glow" you get from them. There is a harshness about sealants that I just find a little hard on the eyes - then again I have customers who *love* that look.
Agreed! There are too many combinations and too many products out there to try all of them without going crazy. Some swear by Meguires products, but I have tried a few of their products and never had great results...actually only had inferior results so for me, me no likey. I have seen cars at shows that are prepped solely with Meguires products and the car look amazing.

I think this spring I may try the whole synthetic/carnauba thang. Supposedly, you get the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, according to SAL, you can't layer Carnuba based products ontop of his sealants.

Last edited by Diesel1; 02-09-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel1
Agreed! There are too many combinations and too many products out there to try all of them without going crazy. Some swear by Meguires products, but I have tried a few of their products and never had great results...actually only had inferior results so for me, me no likey. I have seen cars at shows that are prepped solely with Meguires products and the car look amazing.

I think this spring I may try the whole synthetic/carnauba thang. Supposedly, you get the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, according to SAL, you can layer Carnuba based products ontop of his sealants.
Did you mean "can't"? If so I think he says that to discourage people drom doing it, but I can assure you it works. I've put 4 or 5 waxes on top of Z2 pro with no problems. You just can't go the other way around (sealant on top of wax), so once the wax is on if you want more sealant you have to strip everything. The combo I use on my car right now is actually poorbors ex-p topped with nattys blue maintained with ocw. I love it because I get the look of a wax with the durabilty of a synthetic sealant.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Sorry, can't and I figured that's why he says that. Your G is def looking sharp! Great depth and clarity! Mind sharing your steps. I may try something else this spring like I mentioned because I enjoy detailing and I am always looking for a better shine. It also allows me to put my cyclo to good use!

I think on autopia and here a few guys here love the Mezz and Pinnacle stack (If I remeber correctly).

Can you confirm as stated that you can use the Poorboys stuff in the sun? Of course, I always try to avoid it, but it is inevitable if your outside, there will alwasy be a little sun somewhere.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Staff ALUMNI
You can use poorboys polishes in the sun - they flash really fast and dust quite a bit, but it works. You just have to use an appropriate amount depending on the temperature.

My steps for the pics above were:

Optimum Compound via a yellow LC pad
Optimum Polish on a white pad
Clearkote RMG on a black pad
Poorboys ex-p
Poorboys Nattys Blue

Since then I've tried S100, Clearkote's Carnuaba, Menzerna FMJ, 4* UPP, Collinite 845, you name it. I always end up going back to Nattys maintained with Optimum Car Wax (the spray on stuff).

Old 02-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BadBoy06
I guess only 1 company makes pads? I have about 40-50 different types
of pads in my garage from about 12 different companies.

Same goes with the M/F's tons to pick from, all with different
qualities.

See above for pro status. You can't be tops in your field without
trying/searching/exploring all different products. I've recently (last 4)
years started to mix/match products and that works for me. My min
$ to show up for exterior detail is $350.00 (and that could be for a 2 door mini coupe). I guess I know what I'm doing because my schedule is always
full.

As for the pics..Come on..Take a good look at that first one and then
tell me anybody can just post pics that look good. Thats on a ****y
Grand Prix paint job that is never garaged. Guess you didnt notice that
speed bump running through the door,hmmm.
Coming off as a pompous jackass does nothing to prove that you're a pro...

-Mark

Old 02-09-2006, 10:35 PM
You can use poorboys polishes in the sun - they flash really fast and dust quite a bit, but it works. You just have to use an appropriate amount depending on the temperature.
I never realized how fast the SSR's flashed in the sun, especially since I normally used them in the shade.

I was polishing my cousin's black bimmer in the sun, and I'd barely be polishing for several seconds and it'd start dusting already!

I probably should've been more liberal with the polish, but after 45 minutes I gave up because I also think my pads weren't as effective since they were pretty beaten up.

How do the optimum polishes do in the sun?

-Mark

Old 02-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Okay tuff guy..let me in lighten you. I've been in the detail business
for over 15 years and presently have a mustang that has won
7 BEST OF SHOWS with 4 articles in FAST FORD Magazine.

hMMM, Maybe I do know a little something about, shine/gloss/depth/wetness/clarity..But then again since I've only
posted 2 times, I must be a dumbass.

Keep thinking ZAINO is all that..and that your shine is all that when
it could be 5-10 times better!

As I said before. Keep searching BECAUSE different products/ colors give
different results. And yes DG is a tuff one BUT not to were you
have to give up!

Some FYI for the knuckle head who posted this comment towards me.
Do more research before you put your foot into your mouth.

Applying products the correct way is most of the battle. Then the
product it self comes into play. I use 5 different types of pads to apply/cut/clean paint then 3 different pads to polish/wax. Then 3 different micro fiber towels to buff.

Boy, don't you feel stupid now.

Happy Trails!
HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHH.....FORD! HAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Old 02-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by mr_ecktid
I never realized how fast the SSR's flashed in the sun, especially since I normally used them in the shade.

I was polishing my cousin's black bimmer in the sun, and I'd barely be polishing for several seconds and it'd start dusting already!

I probably should've been more liberal with the polish, but after 45 minutes I gave up because I also think my pads weren't as effective since they were pretty beaten up.

How do the optimum polishes do in the sun?

-Mark
Pretty well - Optimum polishes have a lot of oils, so they tend to break down much more slowly and they don't dust. I've only used the polish in the sun once and it worked just like normal. The only downside is the working time is a lot longer than most other polishes. For example, using optimim polish on an orange pad over a 2x2 area in a garage will take a good 3-5 minutes to flash. It works great, you just have to be really patient with it. Personally I like the compound more than the polish with my PC. The polish is great via rotary but just takes too long to break down with a PC.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Coming off as a pompous jackass does nothing to prove that you're a pro...

-Mark

LMAO..I know my shi$...and I love to make cars shine!

End of story

Old 02-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by TwoK4drSi
HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHH.....FORD! HAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

LOL..I know, I'm not a BIG Fan of Fords, BUT, I absolutely LOVE my
"68" Shelby/500KR ..That car turns more heads than a topless blonde
flashing you......well....maybe not that much...LMAO

And she was the 27th one built. I've read that only 120 our still
around.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Did you mean "can't"? If so I think he says that to discourage people drom doing it, but I can assure you it works. I've put 4 or 5 waxes on top of Z2 pro with no problems. You just can't go the other way around (sealant on top of wax), so once the wax is on if you want more sealant you have to strip everything. The combo I use on my car right now is actually poorbors ex-p topped with nattys blue maintained with ocw. I love it because I get the look of a wax with the durabilty of a synthetic sealant.

Nice Pics! Gotta love BLACK

Old 02-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Pretty well - Optimum polishes have a lot of oils, so they tend to break down much more slowly and they don't dust. I've only used the polish in the sun once and it worked just like normal. The only downside is the working time is a lot longer than most other polishes. For example, using optimim polish on an orange pad over a 2x2 area in a garage will take a good 3-5 minutes to flash. It works great, you just have to be really patient with it. Personally I like the compound more than the polish with my PC. The polish is great via rotary but just takes too long to break down with a PC.

If I use the PC to polish w/lots of oils I tend to spray a touch of
liquid shine (not water) to help breakdown product. That helps a lot, time wise and still gives great results.

Agreed. Most times I kick uo the rpm's on my directional/rotary.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:17 PM
LMAO..I know my shi$...and I love to make cars shine!

End of story
I'm sure you know your ****, but you present it in a VERY unprofessional manner.

End of story.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm sure you know your ****, but you present it in a VERY unprofessional manner.

End of story.
I'm still mad about the 2 post comment. I'll be fine soon enough.

Okay, now end of story

Old 02-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by lalomarquez13
Check this out......i started using it in august 05 haven't stopped and damn it looks shiny
That pic on the right is unbelievable!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: zaino on my dg coupe is weak