Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Washing new G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Washing new G

I would like to know what people are using when washing their G's. Do you use a sponge or microfiber towels to hand was your car. Also which brand car wash do you use.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally use the Meguiar's NXT line of products on the exterior of my car. I have been very happy with these products and I like the fact that I can find them at my local autoparts store. There are many great brands out there (cue to the Zaino guys). Try a couple and see what you like. Any of the top quality brands will all do the job, part of it just comes down to personal preference.

I think the choice of towel/mit is much more important than choice of wash. A subpar towel has the potential to do a lot of damage. Go and check out autopia.org for a lot of good information.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:54 AM
I see that Meguairs has a wash pad fro washing the exterior. I have been using Meguiars wash and Gold wax.

I will see if my local stores are carring the NXT line now.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:04 AM
I use the Meguiar's cotton wash mit and microfiber towels, they work really well. I have never had any swirl marks on my diamond graphite (I wash once every two weeks). I didn't mention it before because I was already sounding too much like an advertisement.

As far as interior, I do not like the Mequiar's leather stuff. I use lexol on my leather.

You should be able to find the NXT line at most autoparts stores. The Gold Class is a good wax and in my experience really brings out darker colors better than the NXT wax.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Washing

I only use the 100% cotton mitts made by Viking...found at O'Reilly auto stores. There are other fine alternatives, but these have worked for years for me, and no need to change.

For a wash solution, I used to use Zaino Z7 exclusively, when I used the Zaino system. Right now, I'm using Eagle One, followed by Optimum Car Wax. There are plenty of options for a decent car wash. Duragloss, also found locally, makes a great wash. Meguiar's Gold Class or NXT would also make decent options.

Mike

Old 02-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by jameyb
I use the Meguiar's cotton wash mit and microfiber towels, they work really well. I have never had any swirl marks on my diamond graphite (I wash once every two weeks). I didn't mention it before because I was already sounding too much like an advertisement.

As far as interior, I do not like the Mequiar's leather stuff. I use lexol on my leather.

You should be able to find the NXT line at most autoparts stores. The Gold Class is a good wax and in my experience really brings out darker colors better than the NXT wax.
My car is Twilight Blue, so I guess I will stick with the Gold Class Wax.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Does anyone else use the Wax as you dry ? Just spray on a small amount as you dry the car. Gives a really nice shine. It is not very long lasting, but I wash my car at least twice a month so it's perfect for me. Takes no more time than just drying the car, and it's also waxed !

Old 02-27-2006, 09:08 AM
I was a wash mit user for a long time and have since switched to a high pile microfiber for most of my washes. I fold the towel and continually refold it as I go so that I am NEVER wiping with a face that has any dirt at all.

In the summer when I am doing a wash with a bucket of suds or the foam gun, I use a 100% sheepskin mit. these things are pricey and they don't last all that long but I have never had any scratching problems with them.

While on the topic, a foam gun is another great choice.

I am of the mindset that most carwashes are *about* equal. The Meguiars lines are great and easy to get your hands on. I personally use Poorboy's Super Suds.

-GT