Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Lets Talk About Wax Wax Wax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Everyone has a favorite. Here are some options based on my experiences.

1) Zaino, Menzerna FMJ, Jeffs Acrylic Jett, Poorboys EX-P.

Pros: Last a long time, 4-6 months in the summer easily. Relatively easy to remove if applied correctly. They look good. Some people prefer waxes, but the differences are subtle. Sealants tend to have a more wet and reflective look at the cost of some warmth and glow.

Cons: Releatively expensive. Zaino requires ZFX. Can be hard to remove if applied to thick, some feel the look is "wrapped in plastic", no filling ability (if you like that, sometimes its nice on black), all are "optically perfect" so each flaw in the paint is magnified which is hard on black. Looks a bit severe.

Waxes, Souveran, Cleakote Carnuaba, Poorboys Nattys Blue, NXT, OCW.

Pros: Aside from Souveran all are releatively inexpensive. Easy to apply and remove, some have slight filling abilties which will hide small scratches and marring. All offer good gloss and slickness. Poorboys is the wettest, OCW and Clearkote's Carnuaba have the most glow, Souveran is a great mix of all of them and adds amazing depth. OCW is incredibly easy to use and apply since it's a spray on. Natty's, OCW, and Clearkote will last 6-10 weeks.

Cons: Souveran is $80, Souveran and NXT will not last long (4-6 weeks tops). NXY has many fillers which is good if you want them, not if you don't. Some waxes stain trim.

Others worth checking out. Collinite 426/845 wax - both look good, about the same as OCW, but both will last 6 months plus easily. Cheap, easy to use, very durable. Poorboys ex w/carnuaba. A sealant with carnauba and some small fillers. A nice mix of both sealant and wax.

In the end it all comes down to prep. Prep, prep, prep, not wax wax wax... if the cars paint is in bad shape no LSP will make it look good. So use the right wash techniques and polishes to get the paint looking smooth, and any LSP will look great. As an example, here are three cars. One has Zaino on it, one has Nattys Blue, and one has OCW which is a *spray on wax* that takes 5 minutes to apply. You tell me which looks better:

http://gtaindetail.com/pics/04g35c042506/photo4.jpg

http://gtaindetail.com/pics/03g35041606/a.jpg

http://gtaindetail.com/pics/04g35072105/photo8.jpg

Old 04-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Waxes....Paste

You didn't mention Zymol........that's when your car
really feels like it's wraped in plastic. Both my wifes
Vet and my G are living examples of how bitchen a
car "can" look.
claybar.....cleaner ......Concours
Like nothing else you've ever attempted...it's so fine!!

Old 04-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I didn't mention Zymol because I have a very limited experience with them. They're OTC products are mediocre (imo), and their boutique products are kind of expensive for what you get. Of course this is all just imho. Cheers.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
I didn't mention Zymol because I have a very limited experience with them. They're OTC products are mediocre (imo), and their boutique products are kind of expensive for what you get. Of course this is all just imho. Cheers.
I agree with that analysis of Zymol as well. Years ago my company was involved with a the Acura NSX and Zymol had a boutique product especially for the car. Looking back now, I think that 99% of the OTC products are actually better than what was costing customers $100 for 8oz back then. I find that most of their products lack the durability and the glow that others today yield.

As far as the actual wax question goes, I have had the best luck on daily drivers with Zaino Z2 Pro (I use other non-Zaino products for the surface prep) as well as Jeff's Werkstatt's Acrylic Jett. The Werkstatt does take some finessing to get applied correctly. For looks, it is hard to beat the Poorboy's EX, Natty's Blue, or Pinnacle Souveran. I find that the EX-P is a good mix between looks and durability. It is actually what I keep on my Infiniti.

-GT

Old 04-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel1
WTF???? Why different wax for MT vs AT????

For what it's worth, I used Rejex on my wheels and wasn't impressed. I normally use Zaino on my G and have had good results. I also like detailing dynamics products.

I have recently purchased Menxzerna polishes n sealants for my truck and if I like the way they work, I'll use it on the G too!
Doh! He was kidding!

Old 04-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
P21S

Best wax i've used!!!