Car won't start! Help!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car won't start! Help!

My car wouldn't start this morning. It's trying to turn over but it shuts off right before it catches. I tried jumping but that didnt do anything. All of my lights are working properly. I also checked all of the fuses inside the cabin and the fuses by the battery. However, the fuse box to the right of the battery is wet. All of the fuses are wet. I took them out and dried them but no luck on starting either. My guess is it has to do with that flood yesterday. My car was running fine all day yesterday. Left it over night and now it wont turn over completely. PLease chime in with any suggestions. thank you.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
i would suggest checking the fuses in the wet box. it's hard to tell with some of the small ones but see if they're burnt out. more than likely they are... i'm not a electric expert, but i'm assuming they got shot out from the water and will need to be replaced...

how did water get up there?!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:25 AM
I just did some search around the forum and found that the box is called IPDM lol. I don't know how water got in there but all of the fuses are fine. I checked one by one, and some of them had water inside in which I blew dried but still no luck. Now i'm just sitting here =[

Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
maybe it'll work if it dries out? Man i hope your electric is fine. wish i was more help!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Use a fuse checker to make sure, you could also have a bad starter, or you are water locked.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine almost did something similar to me last weekend. It would turn over but wouldnt start until about 5-6 seconds of turning over. Once my car turned on my VDC, SLIP, and SES lights came on. It turns out my cam position sensor went bad. Its at Sewell getting replaced right now (yay for 100k warranty). I had my car all washed and waxed last Friday and ready to cruise the labor day weekend, and then saturday morning the problem happened....just my luck.

Hopefully your electric is fine, but maybe bad crank or cam sensor is my guess???

Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
any dash lights stay on after it fails to start?

Old 09-09-2010, 11:24 AM
lol i just got up from a nap. the three lights that remained after failure to start is battery, cel, and oil. but i think those lights remain lit until the car is fully started. fml. but i dont know why that IPDM box had water in there. weird. all of the fuses are still good. The starter sounds strong. It's trying to start the car, like actual cranking noise. I don't know what else, just waiting for sun to come out so i can bake the engine bay. How do i check the cam sensor?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure how you can check it without the car being started or someone with an OBDII scanner can read it while the car is not started.

Most cars i've read about that wouldn't start after heavy rain days were because some wiring got wet (starter, ECU, distributor caps, etc...). There's so much moisture that it gets on many components. Some guys suggested uses a leaf blower to the engine bay! Some say to let it sit for a day to dry out. I would definitely garage it and open up the engine bay and let it air/dry out for a while.

Try taking a hair dryer and blowing it on low heat into the IPDM to dry it off quicker?

Last edited by domenic; 09-09-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I left my engine bay air dried for about two hours. meanwhile i took my battery to autozone for a recharge. After all the above, the car started up great. Now I did noticed a light screeching noise from the passenger side of the engine. very faint but noticeable when the engine bay is opened at idle. it goes like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee but very faint lol. any idea on this fellas? normal? but nevertheless, everything starts up great and the car runs fine now. I think im going to invest in one of those aluminum undertray. thanks once again guys.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vietboi817
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I left my engine bay air dried for about two hours. meanwhile i took my battery to autozone for a recharge. After all the above, the car started up great. Now I did noticed a light screeching noise from the passenger side of the engine. very faint but noticeable when the engine bay is opened at idle. it goes like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee but very faint lol. any idea on this fellas? normal? but nevertheless, everything starts up great and the car runs fine now. I think im going to invest in one of those aluminum undertray. thanks once again guys.
lol - you have mini-me in there holmes..

Old 03-03-2019, 07:53 AM
G37XS
G37 beep near engine

Originally Posted by vietboi817
I have the same issue. Car becomes stupid after heavy rain. At first, it doesn't sense the key at all, after a while it starts. With engine off, high pitch constant beep near battery area. Dealer checked all modules and drain lines and still no fix. Was your issue resolved?

Old 03-03-2019, 11:41 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Sounds like a flooded IPDM.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:55 PM
G37XS
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Sounds like a flooded IPDM.
No. All dry. I took out the battery and battery tray. The drain hole underneath is not clogged. It is a little wet though and some harness wires are exposed (not inside the black harness sheath). Not sure if this is how it came from factory. I opened IPDM and it looks dry inside. I also noticed that harness next to firewall right behind the battery was missing the rubber boot cover on top. Looks like water may have gotten into the harness connection joint from the top (just a theory). I siliconed the harness junction for now. Maybe it will help. This problem already cost me $700 I gave to local mechanic and $800 to Infiniti dealer. They checked all the modules and drainage and still no fix. PRETTY pissed off at this point. I loved my G37, never had any problems until this one.