Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

My car + crawford cats + oil catch can =

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
You mods, specifically the MREV and Stillen exhaust do show solid gains and the powerband (at least on most dynos) is improved and should result in 1/4 mile improvement. The cats are questionable, but they do remove about 20lbs in weight. I don't find it shocking that your modded sedan 6MT was outrunning that 350Z considering your mods and your experience compared to his ill choosen mods and most importantly, lack of experience. I'm certain the Z would be fractionally quicker than your G with you behind the wheel of the Z.
I agree with your assessment on his mods, particularly the cai. But I would have imagined a decent gain from the headers.

And while I would like to believe that I could have wrung out better times from his z than he did, that would be unfair. And so nobody that's reading this thread takes it the wrong way, let me make something clear. I am in no way stating that my car is faster than a z. On this particular day, with these two cars and drivers, I was faster.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
And while I would like to believe that I could have wrung out better times from his z than he did, that would be unfair. And so nobody that's reading this thread takes it the wrong way, let me make something clear. I am in no way stating that my car is faster than a z. On this particular day, with these two cars and drivers, I was faster.
Hell ya, that's what makes racing (1/4 mile or road racing) so such damn fun. I've always found it enjoyable to beat a faster car in front of a crowd at the track. Most people don't care how to race therefore they are always confused/angry when the less powerful wins. My favorite is when a guy in other lane gives me a cocky look like his F-body or Stang is going to leave me like nothing and then I end up beating him because he can't react worth a crap and his 60 foot is **** poor. On the street, my G would like the faster car even though it's really not.

BTW, I'm wasn't trying to imply your car was significantly slower than a 350Z and that he should have owned you. The performance difference between the 350Z and G35 is far closer than most Z guys would care to admit. I'm certain that if you were to run 26" slicks and choose to launch at 5000rpms, your G would easily be in the 13.3-13.4 range in cooler air. I'm certain of it. Yank out the passenger seats and 13.2-13.3 should be possible.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:54 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have NAPA auto parts in your area don't you? If so, they should have hose. I think the best type of hose to use would be fuel hose because it is interally braided, resistes collasping, and is made for extreme temps.
Yep we have NAPA. I didn't mean to say that we have searched all over town and haven't found it. We have looked at the closest places and haven't found it. We haven't done the whole look through the whole area thing just yet. Life is a bit busy still right now for those all day driving trips. LOL! I personally am not a fan of calling around since about half the time in the summer you get some damn kid who needed a summer job and doesn't know jack about what's going on.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
please post more info on the oil catch can..
anything that can reduce/prevent pinging!

Old 06-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Premier Member

I wanted to let everyone know when I removed my MREV and I had the catch can on as well. I never reopened the upper collector and lower to clean it after installing the catch.

Well to my surprise, I had OIL everwhere in my intake plenum. Lower/Upper collector had oil just coated on all the walls. I had oil even on the white spacers for the kit sitting. OIL is getting into the engine. No doubt about that. If you push your car hard like I have with my racing, oil is getting out of that center section and getting into the intake system. After installing that catch I noticed a power improvement. I use to see a loss in power sometimes and ever since I added the Catch I never saw that anymore.

Oil in the intake will lower your octane and cause your car to ping some then cause your car to reduce timing.

The catch can works.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Premier Member

Trey I have mine I can send you for free if you want with the hoses. I can even pick up a extra hose if you want to hook it up as well on your wifes.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:21 AM
after removing the filter element.. trying to make sure that my new hose doesn't collapse under idling..

My car still stalls whenever it is a warm start up, I have to bleep the throttle a bit to get the engine going.

However, I am wondering if anyone knows what causes a:

1) Normal stall

2) In this case, a stall with the installation of an oil catch can..

Old 06-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by godmans
after removing the filter element.. trying to make sure that my new hose doesn't collapse under idling..

My car still stalls whenever it is a warm start up, I have to bleep the throttle a bit to get the engine going.

However, I am wondering if anyone knows what causes a:

1) Normal stall

2) In this case, a stall with the installation of an oil catch can..
Put it back to stock and take the PVC off to see if its a problem on your car.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks alot Russ..

I will do that tonite after work..
+ I will also experiement if it is because of:

1) longer hose length (by connecting the two hoses with just a connector)

2) the fuel injector hose being too restrictive (this shouldn't be the case since it is 3/8" in inner DIA. ..but well, I will check that too)

let's hope my engine doesn't stall when I put my pcv back on without the new hose and catch can ..

Old 06-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
I wanted to let everyone know when I removed my MREV and I had the catch can on as well. I never reopened the upper collector and lower to clean it after installing the catch.

Well to my surprise, I had OIL everwhere in my intake plenum. Lower/Upper collector had oil just coated on all the walls. I had oil even on the white spacers for the kit sitting. OIL is getting into the engine. No doubt about that. If you push your car hard like I have with my racing, oil is getting out of that center section and getting into the intake system. After installing that catch I noticed a power improvement. I use to see a loss in power sometimes and ever since I added the Catch I never saw that anymore.

Oil in the intake will lower your octane and cause your car to ping some then cause your car to reduce timing.

The catch can works.
Unless I'm reading this post wrong, it sounds to me like the can isn't working. How else could oil get into the intake track otherwise Judging from the problems some people are experiencing with these cans, it sure doesn't sound like the best mod out there.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Premier Member

Unless I'm reading this post wrong, it sounds to me like the can isn't working. How else could oil get into the intake track otherwise Judging from the problems some people are experiencing with these cans, it sure doesn't sound like the best mod out there.
You are not reading it properly. I NEVER REMOVED my intake system after installing the can. I had a MSR event that I am sure through oil all around in the intake track. After the catch I removed the stock parts and the center part had no oil collected. But you can tell there was oil everywhere in the intake at one time.

Just like how you are in the shower and STEAM gets all over. OIL vapors get all over.

It is one of the best because it obviously works. This is from experience unlike yourself.

Why do you always have to be so negative on every freakin mod?

Old 06-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless I'm reading this post wrong, it sounds to me like the can isn't working. How else could oil get into the intake track otherwise
I've had two different hoses on my setup, and am looking for a third. The original hose was a braided clear hose, as seen in my original pics in the other thread. I noticed that oil was getting past the catch can(campbell hausfeld general purpose air filter; a nearly-identical setup to the general-purpose unit sold by jeggs) and into the hose. It also collected around the barbs on the fittings connecting the hose to the catch can.

I was surprised, because I initially expected the catch can to catch *all* the oil. Then I realized that obviously it can't. As described elsewhere, this "makeshift" catch can is a temporary measure, and was in no way engineered to the purposes for which we are using it. It's obviously functioning to a degree; I've collected a not-insignificant amount of oil myself.

Last night I examined my old oem lower collector sitting in my garage(left over from the mrev swap). It was coated in residue(as were both mine and Cheryl's upper collectors). I ran a finger inside the runners where they travel down to the intake manifold, and wasn't surpised to see quite a bit of residue there as well. Despite speculation to the contrary, with the stock setup, oil is in fact entering the runners and not just collecting in the valleys.

Judging from the problems some people are experiencing with these cans, it sure doesn't sound like the best mod out there.
Other than godmans' stalling issue, what other problems are these others experiencing exactly? I hope you're not referring to the collapsing hose, as I wouldn't exactly call that a problem.

Last edited by trey.hutcheson; 06-21-2006 at 01:58 PM. Reason: forgot quote markup