Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

First trip to dragstrip...Before and After MD spacer coming next week!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First trip to dragstrip...Before and After MD spacer coming next week!!

So like I posted in the exhaust intake section, I am going to do before and after dragstrip runs on my car to see what the spacer adds up to for real.

Tonight complete stock car, Im dissapointed to say the least....I can't launch very well and it doesn't seem to have the top end that it should....I am hoping the temperature and humidity were a factor.

80 degrees
66% humidity
in FL elevation only 150 feet...

I did six runs....3 were crap due to not being able to get it into 2nd gear...anyone else have this problem?

Oops forgot to mention 2003 6MT coupe
Anyway...my 3 runs that were not screw ups were as follows:

RT .277
60' 2.241
1/8 9.54
mph 74.14
1/4 14.71
mph 95.18

RT .080
60' 2.251
1/8 9.695
mph 74.28
1/4 14.82
mph 96.16

RT .205
60' 2.36
1/8 9.759
mph 74.24
1/4 14.90
mph 97.87

Launching this thing is damn near impossible its either bog or wheel hop from hell.....and by looking at my traps my engine doesn't seem to wanna purr up top....maybe its the temp and stuff though...anyway

Next week on wednesday I should have my spacer in...Ill do more runs, throw out the outliers again and see what happens...

btw when you miss 2nd your times are 15.4+....LAME!

Old 10-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-

Good luck with the MD spacer.

I did before & after with 1/2 inch MD spacer &
gor .2" worse with the spacer. Good luck & can't wait to see your results.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:42 PM
So i plugged in my DAs into a website that corrects the ET which supposedly is what must magazines do.

came up with 14.45 96.86 best, 14.52 98.13 average (after corrected)

These are closer to advertised 14.2s @99 but I still suck at launching this thing

Old 10-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Bumping for DaveB to come through and offer some good ensight like he always does

Old 10-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
It looks to me like the 1-2 shift is causing a problem on every run because your 1/8 mile is pretty slow and it's where you're loosing all your time. You car is gaining 21-22mph in the last 1/8 mile which is where is should be. The DA was in the 1,500-1,600' range. Not horrible, but definitely will impact time to a degree (~.15 seconds and 1mph or so). Remember to shift just shy of the rev limiter.

Your 60 foots are obviously a problem to and you recognize that. When it comes to launching, especially manuals, you cannot get greedy with the throttle. Everyone's first inclination to seeing the go light is that they're suppose to go full throttle. On street tires, it's just not going to happen. First off, release the clutch enough that it's just about to catch. Then bring your revs up to around 3000rpms. When it's time to go release the clutch enough that you feel the car roll. When you feel the movement, progressively release the clutch while feeding the car gas. You're goal is to keep the revs above 3000rpms coming off the line. You don't want the bog nor do you want to smoke the tires. Once you feel the tires mostly grab (might be some chirping still), slam the gas and go WOT. All in all, this happens over the span of about 2 seconds. It's all be feel. If the car was able to handle this launch fine, then up the launch rpms until you start blowing the tires off. Simply put adjust your launch rpm accordingly. It takes some experience and experimenting to get it right.

I think under lower winter temps, a higher 2.1 60', and a better 1-2 shift, you should be seeing legit 14.1-14.2s@99-100mph.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by GfortheCPE
I did six runs....3 were crap due to not being able to get it into 2nd gear...anyone else have this problem?

Tell your dealer. I just had my '04 transmission replaced on Monday due to 2nd and 6th gear grinding. The synchros are a common problem with our 6-speed transmissions.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks dave as usual good advice!!

Yeh, my launches need work but like you say over time i should improve! I was mostly launching at about 2k and not to progressively applying gas

the 1-2 shift is horrible! I am really considering taking my car to a dealership and fighting for a new tranny! 2 of the 6 runs I couldn't hit 2nd...(3rd bad run was bogged launch)

One thing I thought about after i left the track was that I maybe shifting too late for all gears....i was shifting right at redline...maybe I should shift at 6350?

Anyway, next wednesday ill have to filter out 60' improvements and 1-2 shift improvements from spacer gains

I doubt my 60' will improve much next week, but my 1-2 shift might a little.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:20 PM
98intrigue,

is the Orlando infiniti dealership on lake destiny road a good dealership..are you familiar with them?

Also, how many days after you dropped it off was it for them to put in the new tranny?

THanks (the 1-2 shift has pissed me off for the last time)

Old 10-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Not bad for the first time out.!!

Old 10-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks dave as usual good advice!!

Yeh, my launches need work but like you say over time i should improve! I was mostly launching at about 2k and not to progressively applying gas

the 1-2 shift is horrible! I am really considering taking my car to a dealership and fighting for a new tranny! 2 of the 6 runs I couldn't hit 2nd...(3rd bad run was bogged launch)

One thing I thought about after i left the track was that I maybe shifting too late for all gears....i was shifting right at redline...maybe I should shift at 6350?

Anyway, next wednesday ill have to filter out 60' improvements and 1-2 shift improvements from spacer gains

I doubt my 60' will improve much next week, but my 1-2 shift might a little.
Red line every gear. I've calculated out the shift points for these cars and for the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts you want to be at red line. It's too bad about 2nd gear and if it's as bad as you say, it could be costing you a tenth or two. Have you considered putting in different tranny fluid?

Old 10-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Ive thought about it....but I really think the synchros for 2nd gear are screwed up

Under normal acceleration it clunks unless I intentionally slow shift.

And now 4 times total I have been under heavy acceleration (twice on the street and twice at the track) and it completly hit a "wall" when I tried to throw it into 2nd.

The rest of my shifts are pretty dang good id say...im pretty fast at shifting...cept for 2nd

I'll call the dealership and see what happens.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Ive thought about it....but I really think the synchros for 2nd gear are screwed up

Under normal acceleration it clunks unless I intentionally slow shift.

And now 4 times total I have been under heavy acceleration (twice on the street and twice at the track) and it completly hit a "wall" when I tried to throw it into 2nd.

The rest of my shifts are pretty dang good id say...im pretty fast at shifting...cept for 2nd

I'll call the dealership and see what happens.
This funky 6MT is one of the major reasons I went with the auto this go around. It's too notchy, has shifter/clutch vibrations, and in general, is not the smoothest tranny to drive around town. My 5MT Maxima had the same exact feel and annoyances, but in a race situation it was perfect. I never had syncro issues and I beat that car damn hard. I wonder what the issue is with the Asin/Warner 6MT in the G/Z? It uses much beefier syncros for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but they still seem to fail quite easily. With the amount of failures I've read about here and on the Z sites, surely all these people can't be abusive drivers.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Well the spacer is on!!!

No issues no hissing our air leaks, took it for a little spin and it might feel a little stronger up top but I like i said, its really hard to feel 8-10 hp in a car that has 280!

Next wednesday the results will be in!!!

BTW I didn't do an ecu reset because I seriously don't believe it is necessary, if anyone has concrete evidence otherwise feel free to correct me!

Also..haha I noticed halfway through I had left the neg battery term connected!! But im not really sure that that is necessary either since you aren't dealing with any electronics.

Easy install, might feel stronger thought...so might be a good mod

Old 10-06-2006, 03:31 PM
I just put my spacer on last weekend. I'm heading to the track tonight in Commerce, GA. My times last time were pretty horrible, as it was my first time ever at a drag strip--I had no clue how to launch. Now, with my new spacer and a little extra knowledge from DaveB's 5AT launch techniques, I'm expecting better times. Plus, the air will be about 30-40 degrees cooler than it was when I went during the day in the middle of the summer. If my times aren't embarrassing this time, I'll let y'all know!!

Old 10-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Second Impression

Ok, so I just took my car for another spin after installing the MD spacer and I ran it through the gears more agressively than the first test drive. I ran it all the way to 6k through 3rd.

Could just be that I haven't driven my car aggressively in a few days and forgot what it felt like under WOT but it seems a little stronger and sounds a little meanier I think too.

Even with a fairly slow 1-2 shift I got a good chirp so im excited, may have some good news soon!

Ive got s slight smell from under the hood I don't remember being there before, Im assuming it is the new gaskets that came with the spacer...its not very strong I can only smell it if I pop the hood right after driving.

Man.....waiting till wednesday is going to kill me

At least there is a game today!! (but im afraid LSU might best us!!)