Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Went to the Drag Strip This Weekend - Results & Questions Inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to the Drag Strip This Weekend - Results & Questions Inside

Not really a big Drag Strip guy but was curious as to what the car would run. Its a 04 6MT Sedan with Pop Charger, Z tube, MD 5/16" Spacer, and a coupe midpipe. I was hoping temps outside would cool off a good bit at night but they stayed up around 80 when I finally got to make a few passes. I got there just before they closed so I hot lapped the car to get some passes in. My best time was a 14.1@99 with a 2.104 60ft (had two 14.1's, a 14.2, and a 14.3 with a friend in the car). I was running on a set of auto cross tires that hooked ok (was easier to lite them up off the line than I thought) but overall they did pretty well. I cant wait to go back when it gets a little cooler outside. Overall I'm very happy with the numbers the car ran and I had a great time at the track.

I'm going to add a few mods to the car now and get a tune. There seems to be a never ending debate on headers but i'm going to do the install myself and purchase a set used so even if I dont get much out of them I wont be disappointed. I plan on installing headers, High Flow Cats, possibly a Y-Pipe, and then get a Tune.

I have a few questions:

Which headers seem to do best out of these:
Stillen Ceramics (or SS), DC Sports, or Top Speed Pro-1?

I see people talking about gains with the HFC's and a few ponies with the Cat backs but not much about Y pipes. Are aftermarket y-pipes worth the money?

Which HFC's have the least Rasp?
Kinetix and Crawford seem to be popular. Which would you guys recommend?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Was it Atlanta Motor Speedway? I saw on their calander that Friday Night was the last night drag. I wanted to go, but had to work. I will probably be there next Friday to see what y 5AT lays down.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by G'd Out
Was it Atlanta Motor Speedway? I saw on their calander that Friday Night was the last night drag. I wanted to go, but had to work. I will probably be there next Friday to see what y 5AT lays down.
No it was Commerce (Atlanta Dragway) which is up 85N. I was told that Atlanta Motor Speedway just did the 1/8 mile.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by abailey269
First off Great numbers here! pretty impressive 60 foot times for being as close to stock as you are.

Which headers seem to do best out of these:
Stillen Ceramics (or SS), DC Sports, or Top Speed Pro-1?
I myself am still debating on headers it really sucks because everyone as usual says there are no gains. Just like there are "no gains for intake, exhaust, or anything else for that matter". It seems like the only thing that people believe in on this site are the tunes, HFC's, and motordyne spacers. Which we all know if these were the only products to give our cars more HP everyone would be running the same times, which isn't the case. I would say go with the stillens or DC sports. The dc sports seem more popular.

I see people talking about gains with the HFC's and a few ponies with the Cat backs but not much about Y pipes. Are aftermarket y-pipes worth the money?
HFC's seem to add quite a bit of power to our cars, but the y-pipes really are not going to do anything because it is just going to go from the y-pipe (being a larger diameter pipe) to the stock exahust (which is a smaller diameter pipe), which isn't going to result in more flow. Best bet is to get a cat back exhaust. In my opinion the greddy evo II is a sexy sounding exhaust for the sedan and looks great as well!

Which HFC's have the least Rasp?
Kinetix and Crawford seem to be popular. Which would you guys recommend?
Crawfords sound amazing and give great gains! I would go with them over just about any other HFC except for the fact that they are ceramic. I personally would go with a metallic HFC (if i had the choice) just because the material is going to be a hell of alot stronger and withstand more abuse, just my opinion again though. Stillen and AAM are the only companies that i know of that make a metallic HFC, but no body has them to my knowledge.

Hope this helps

-Sean

Old 09-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Sean,

Thanks so much for the reply. You mentioned that you dont like the Ceramic HFC because the material isnt as stong as a metallic cat. I would assume that this would apply to the Headers as well? The last thing i want is the headers to crack and have to pull them apart again. However, the DC headers that I see floating around the Classifieds are Ceramic and a good price. If they're going to cause trouble I may want to pick up another set. From what you've seen, do the Stillen headers flow as well? I have seen a few sets of those for sale.

I was doing some searching over on my350z and came across a set of High Flow Cats that seem to get great reviews and are stainless steel. They're called "HopUp" (stupid name). I read a number of posts that said they sound excellent. Here's The Link: http://www.hopupracing.com/ulrahicani35.html
Have you guys ever heard of them?

Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 AM
I believe Sean was referring to the converters core, not it's exterior construction. It is said that HF cats with metal cores can withstand more heat (leaner conditions) and will generally last longer. The cats you linked to at hopupracing are Carsound (Magnaflow) converters. Good units, however, they have ceramic cores, I believe. I went through 2 Carsound cats on my EVO VIII. Finally switched to a metal core converter and had 0 problems.

Originally Posted by abailey269
Sean,

Thanks so much for the reply. You mentioned that you dont like the Ceramic HFC because the material isnt as stong as a metallic cat. I would assume that this would apply to the Headers as well? The last thing i want is the headers to crack and have to pull them apart again. However, the DC headers that I see floating around the Classifieds are Ceramic and a good price. If they're going to cause trouble I may want to pick up another set. From what you've seen, do the Stillen headers flow as well? I have seen a few sets of those for sale.

I was doing some searching over on my350z and came across a set of High Flow Cats that seem to get great reviews and are stainless steel. They're called "HopUp" (stupid name). I read a number of posts that said they sound excellent. Here's The Link: http://www.hopupracing.com/ulrahicani35.html
Have you guys ever heard of them?

Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
[QUOTE=CFaber]I believe Sean was referring to the converters core, not it's exterior construction. It is said that HF cats with metal cores can withstand more heat (leaner conditions) and will generally last longer.QUOTE]

The metallic cores actually with stand more heat as well as cars that run rich for long periods of time.

-------

As for the ceramic issues, yes, i was referring to the cores of the HFC's or the "comb" inside the HFC there is a cob like material that filters out fumes and what not. The metallic cores are going to be able to with stand more heat and engines that run rich. The ceramics will decay faster so they are going to have a shorter half life if you will.

As for headers if you buy ceramic headers you are going to be in the clear it is just the coating on the outside of the tubes...

-Sean

Old 09-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Great numbers! With tune only u should hit 13s easily. Looks like u know how to launch the car pretty well. Way to represent 03-04 6MTS.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G

Crawfords sound amazing and give great gains! I would go with them over just about any other HFC except for the fact that they are ceramic. I personally would go with a metallic HFC (if i had the choice) just because the material is going to be a hell of alot stronger and withstand more abuse, just my opinion again though. Stillen and AAM are the only companies that i know of that make a metallic HFC, but no body has them to my knowledge.

-Sean
To what I have seen, especially on the my350z board, HFC doesn't give enough gain to justify its cost, which is why alot of ppl went from HFC to test pipes.

As of metallic core cats, FI (fast intentions) has been providing them for awhile and they have awesome reviews on them (300 cell metallic core). If you go through those reviews, you would indeed also see how some people commented on the poor construction and design of the crawford cats.

FYI: From time to time, you will see quite a few people selling their Kinetix HFCs. However, it is more rare for you to see people selling their Crawfords' and I have almost never seen anyone selling their FIs' cats. I guess this might tell you abit more of how much do our fellow G/Z owners love their various brands of HFCs.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Nice runs, especially at Commerce. The calculated density altitude conditions were in the 1500-1700' range (low 70s, 68 degree dew point, 800' elevation, 30.20 baro). Go back when the temps are in the 50s and you should be a tick or two quicker.

As for HFCs, I'd talk to Trey Hutchinson about that. I believe he's had Crawford HFCs and a different make. Neither made noticeable gains on the dyno from what I remember.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good times man. I already mentioned in the top25 thread that you're launching very well. I never had the skill to launch like that on street tires; I envy you.

And I don't mean to be a dick, but this is trey the mod talking: I'm going to move this thread to the drag racing section. If you're interested in discussing headers/hfc's, please create a separate in the intake/exhaust section. Now back to trey the forum member: DaveB is correct; I've had two different brands of HFC's and now I'm on test pipes. I'm sorry I never answered your questions before. Start a thread in the intake/exhaust section, and I'll be happy to respond.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the compliments and the tips on Exhaust. Like Dave suggested, i'm going to create a new thread to ask some more specific questions. I'll be heading back to the track in a month or so when its cooled off and I have hopefully added a few more mods. Hopefully next time I post it will be a with a 13.XX time slip

Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those two particular timeslips are interesting. The 1/4 ET's are within 32 thousandths of each other, and the 1/4 traps are off by 11 hundredths. The 1/8th mile ET's are also very close: less than 4 hundredths. But, the 1/8th mile traps are off by over 1.5mph. I find that odd. Either way, you picked it up on the big end.

Mid 78's in the 1/8th is right around what Cheryl's 07 6MT runs in slightly hotter conditions(she's stock). So your car is definitely running strong. On the other hand, if you're capable of trapping 78.5mph in the 1/8th, you should be capable of trapping 101mph flat in the 1/4. Where on the tach are you shifting from 3 to 4? Have you found the hard fuel cut in 3rd gear? You might be able to pick up another .5mph by stringing out 3rd a bit more.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Those two particular timeslips are interesting. The 1/4 ET's are within 32 thousandths of each other, and the 1/4 traps are off by 11 hundredths. The 1/8th mile ET's are also very close: less than 4 hundredths. But, the 1/8th mile traps are off by over 1.5mph. I find that odd. Either way, you picked it up on the big end.

Mid 78's in the 1/8th is right around what Cheryl's 07 6MT runs in slightly hotter conditions(she's stock). So your car is definitely running strong. On the other hand, if you're capable of trapping 78.5mph in the 1/8th, you should be capable of trapping 101mph flat in the 1/4. Where on the tach are you shifting from 3 to 4? Have you found the hard fuel cut in 3rd gear? You might be able to pick up another .5mph by stringing out 3rd a bit more.
That is interesting. I played around with shifting points on different runs but didnt have enough passes to really see what works best. I was shifting right at 6700 rpms on the two 14.1 runs. One of the passes (not sure which of the 2) I lost a little traction when shifting to second. Next time I go I'll pay closer attention to my shift points on each run and try to get as much rpms out of third as possible. This car seems to not pull as hard above 6400 or so but it may still be better to string the gears out in order to keep the rpms up in the sweet spot when shifting. I tried shifting sooner on a few passes and then later on a few others. I never hit the fuel cut but had to be close.

Here is a pass when I tried out shifting a little sooner (around 6500 rpms).

Attached Thumbnails Went to the Drag Strip This Weekend -  Results & Questions Inside-142timeslip_0002.jpg  

Last edited by abailey269; 09-11-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Start a thread in the intake/exhaust section, and I'll be happy to respond.
Found a recent thread with similar questions here:
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...=1#post2269007

I just posted a response and asked you a question about your different exhaust set ups on page 3. Interested to hear your feedback....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Went to the Drag Strip This Weekend - Results & Questions Inside