Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Adjusting Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 12:26 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: IMPORTANT

<h3>UPDATE</h3>
Ok, i found the problem, just my luck, it was a plastic bag melting on the exhaust pipes, must've picked it up on the way home from the dealership....
Thanks for the PM's guys [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 10-17-2003, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha! Hehehe! huh huh...
ROFL!
*snicker*
*chuckle*

Is that the new Variable Grocery Capacity muffler? [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-18-2003, 04:42 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

[img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Another update:
After 3 days, the burning plastic smell is still there...lots of nasty plastic residue on the H-pipe, tried paint thinner, soap, nothing makes it come off...that is, until i drove hard for 15 minutes, then parked in the driveway and took a 2x4 and scraped off the plastic! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I got about 90% of the plastic off EASILY! It just wiped off like a regular stain. Now all i gotta do is repeat 1 more time to get the remaining residue!

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 10-19-2003, 03:45 AM

Yeah.. melted plastic sticks like epoxy when it's cold, but warm it up and it's like silly putty. Just don't touch it with your fingers.. it burns and it won't come off!

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-19-2003, 05:20 PM
clutch adjust update

hey guys. i adjusted my clutch a while back when the threads about it first appeared. Now, about a month, it seems my engagement point is drastically higher and almost feels the way it felt before. The pedal hasnt gone up as it is only a bit higher than my brake pedal, but the engage! anybody else experience this? or could it just be me getting used to it...and having to adjust it again?

G35S 6MT
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts
6-wire ground kit

Old 10-20-2003, 03:08 PM
G Kreuzer
Re: clutch adjust update

It sounds like your clutch's getting worn out. This may not neccessary be the case here ... so don't soil ur pants just yet How many turns (to the rod) did you apply initially? Have you been making concious efforts to depress the clutch down *all the way* for every shift since the adjustment?

Ya might also want to check this <a target="_blank" href=http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB25&Number=67472643&page =6&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1>>thread<</a> out. Read towards the end where myself and a few indivisuals have cautioned against this adjustment *if* performed over the limit.

THX723

Old 10-20-2003, 08:59 PM
Re: Adjusting Clutch

this adjustment shouldnt take more than 3 or 4 minutes
step1: with a 12mm wrench (open end) crack loose the locking nut on the clutch master cyl. rod. the clutch master rod is located directly behind the clutch pedal. its the bright metal rod that comes into the car through the firewall. the nut is a little hard to see because its tightened against the pivot bracket. the pivot bracket is the 3/4 square looking deal attached to the pedal arm. loosen the locking nut almost to the end of the threads (towards firewall)

step 2: wth your left hand push down slightly on the clutch pedal. with your right hand twist the ribbed part of the rod in (so that you see more threads coming through the pivot bracket.)

step3: bring locking nut back towards pivot fork and tighten
i adjusted mine so that it was just about even with my brake pedal but you can do yours to suit yor need

a couple of precautions to everyone doing this. if you take in your pedal travel too much you WILL have to adjust your cruise control disengage switch or you cruise WILL NOT work.

easy enough. find the switch at the top of the clutch pedal it almost looks like a stop. disconnect electrical connector. with a 14mm wrench crack the locking nut loose. backoff nut and turn in switch until the black plastic tip of the switch is almost completely pushed into the metal casing of the switch. tighten nut and reconnect switch.

the other precaution is that if you turn in the clutch master rod too much you may not get full disengagement of the clutch because by shortening the rod you're actually decreasing the distance the piston is getting pushed into the clutch master cyl. i.e you could end up F-ing up the synchros in your gearbox

hope this helps some of you guys that are f-ing around with this clutch adjustment

by the way you could probably have adjusted fifteen G units in the time it took me to type this.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by GORILLAG35 on 10/20/03 06:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-23-2003, 03:12 AM

I just adjusted my clutch pedal recently(I know I know what took you so long) but I was wondering how everyone else who has done this how you are fairing. I noticed some of you were quite aggressive and made as many as 5 turns to the clutch rod. I have been messing around with it a lot, turning it clockwise, counterclockwise to get it just perfect. I turned it 3 times max, but I found this to be a little too much. So I backed it off a bit and I thought to myself what you all were saying. WOW! But.. I noticed that my car wasn't quite as fast as before though so I got to thinking if whether my clutch was fully engaged or not. I made about a half a turn to raise the pedal and the car was back to the liveliness to what it was. It's hard to explain how you can tell if the clutch is fulled engaged, you just kind of have to let it pop rather than feather it and it will have that jerk to it. I was also noticing before I adjusted the clutch height that when I have the door open without the engine running, I would start to press the clutch and I would hear a "thud" as it started to become dissengaged. I didn't hear that anymore after loweering the clutch. Right now I am a little over 2 turns and I know that my clutch still isn't fully engaged(is better) but I can hardly believe that any of you who have taken a lot more than this is doing your car any good. Another question. Did your fuel econ drop after your adjustment too? I don't want to argue, I just want everyone to take a second look at their clutch pedal adjustments because all I see is bad things going past 2.5 turns. I am still tweaking mine so 2.5 might be a little too much as well.

Old 11-23-2003, 09:27 AM

I adjusted mine, the way it is now is that the clutch pedal is about 1/8 of an inch higher that the brake, when I adjusted it leveled to the brake pedal I can feel a little vibration when stepping on the gas, so I backed out until i dont feel the vibration. If you guys adjusted yours feel the clutch while accelerating to make sure no vibration on the clutch pedal.

Old 11-23-2003, 07:07 PM

Hmmm, I finally got around to giving this a try today. I agree with TooFastSGG35, I only did 3 full turns and it was more than enough, in fact too much IMO. In fact, with 3 turns, my cruise control button was not even close to being touched. I backed off 2 more turns (1 turn from stock position) for now until I have more time to find my sweet spot, when I finally find the sweet spot I will then adjust the cruise control. I put a small mark with a permanant marker to know exactly how many turns BTW.