Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Stiff as F*** clutch!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy Thread Revival, Batman!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
clutch master clutch and ACT flywheel - surprisingly softer.

BTW the new corvette z06 has a much lighter clutch, i was amazed when i stepped on it for the first time . When i say lighter I mean lighter than my current setup, which already is lighter than stock. Its a feather, i love the z06...such a sweet car in every way.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
anything lighter than my 04s clutch is ghey.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I could see how a smaller woman might have problems with leg strength and complain about the effort of pushing in our clutches.. but any guy shouldn't.

They aren't that heavy compared to some cars.... although probably slightly heavier than your average manual trans. clutch. No biggie really... and as mentioned above by several people, clutches aren't meant to be held down for long periods of time anyways.

Stiff gas pedals are more annoying because on long trips you have to hold them down for hours at a time and it gives you a good calf workout... my Tacoma is like that.. a bit annoying, but whatever.. I try to be positive ab out it and see it as good leg workout for my nonclutch foot, that way both sides of my body get some workout while driving.. and I won't start to hunch to the right when I get older due to a huge frickin clutch leg on the left and puny punkass-kicker leg on the right.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 PM
The cars with very stiff clutch pedals are typically cable clutches. Hydraulic clutches usually require less effort while providing equal or greater clamping force and improved fine control. The G has a hydraulic clutch, as does the Z06. And yes, the newer models have even lighter clutch pedals due to increased force multiplication.

The 05/06 G has a helper spring that provides some force towards the floor when you start to press the pedal, that helps soften it. The earlier Gs may have that too, but I've not worked with one so I can't personally speak to it.

Over the years Infiniti has tweaked the hydraulics to provide more force multiplication and therefore require less pedal effort. The clutch pedal in my G37 requires very little effort -- almost Civic-like. The mechanism is quite a bit different. Make no mistake, the clutch still has plenty of clamping power... this is accomplished using the same principle that allows airplane pilots move the control surfaces with their yokes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraul...multiplication

Old 02-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didnt know about the ten second rule. Ill start putting my car in neutral more at a stop. Its easier on my legs too.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
My left calf is bigger than my right, after driving my G for so long. lol

Old 02-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Use a small digital bathroom scale to measure the pounds of foot force required especially for comparison and AGING.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
To the OP: You can have mine, soft as a 4 banger clutch I think the previous owner of my G loves doing burnouts and donuts ...time to get the nismo super coppermix.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by fx57
Is the first inch of clutch pedal travel really stiff?

Both the G35s I've owned came with the clutch pedal adjusted wrong making them feel very stiff. Adjusting the pedal properly lightens the clutch up significantly.

Check the clevis pin on the clutch pedal, it should turn freely when the clutch pedal is at rest. If it is tight, the upper bump stop (cruise control sensor switch) needs to be adjusted.

You can fine tune the adjustment and get the best clutch feel by adjusting the bump stop to minimize the free play due to the slop in the clevis pin. The pin should still turn freely, but pressing the pedal more than 1/4" or so should bind it up and start to push in the plunger.

You will need to unplug the wire from the cruise sensor in order to turn it and adjust the bump stop. Use a small screwdriver to push in the connector release pin.

The reason a mis-adjusted pedal feels stiff is the pedal spring pushes back whenever the pedal is higher than the brake pedal. You're fighting a stiff pedal spring, not a stiff clutch.

Here goes another revival bump! Anyhow, I've owned a 03 350Z, Driven a 04 G35 with 40k miles and now own a 03 G35 with 50k miles and my current G has a significantly stiffer clutch than the previous G and 350z. There has to be some logical solution to this and im hoping the post above is the problem solver after 100s questions about stiff clutches and 100s of answers saying thats just the way it is. Yes, the easiest way is to drop $1k+ and get a new clutch but my clutch has plenty of life left and shows no signs of slipping.

Has anyone else tried the method above?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 AM
it will be good to hear if someone got his stiff clutch softer lighter cause mine is stiff as F*** too.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:20 AM
yup mine too
i had compared mine with another 2003 g35, a 2003 350z, mine is super stiff

Old 08-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Holy crap are you people serious? Read the whole thread! If your clutch is stiff it needs to be adjusted or you are weak. G35's have one of the softest clutch pedals you will find. Reading is fundamental, being lazy will get you no where fast.

As far as letting your clutch out in first with no gas, it has to do with gear ratio and how fast you let the pedal up. If you just pop the clutch up by it's own spring it will kill the engine. Some trucks used to come with a "granny gear", it was a ratio lower than first and was almost impossible to kill the engine but had a top speed of about 10mph. The G35 did not come with one, sorry

Originally Posted by fx57
Is the first inch of clutch pedal travel really stiff?

Both the G35s I've owned came with the clutch pedal adjusted wrong making them feel very stiff. Adjusting the pedal properly lightens the clutch up significantly.

Check the clevis pin on the clutch pedal, it should turn freely when the clutch pedal is at rest. If it is tight, the upper bump stop (cruise control sensor switch) needs to be adjusted.

You can fine tune the adjustment and get the best clutch feel by adjusting the bump stop to minimize the free play due to the slop in the clevis pin. The pin should still turn freely, but pressing the pedal more than 1/4" or so should bind it up and start to push in the plunger.

You will need to unplug the wire from the cruise sensor in order to turn it and adjust the bump stop. Use a small screwdriver to push in the connector release pin.

The reason a mis-adjusted pedal feels stiff is the pedal spring pushes back whenever the pedal is higher than the brake pedal. You're fighting a stiff pedal spring, not a stiff clutch.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM
clevis pin ???? wtf is there a pic of this somewhere?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Here you go, basically it's the pivot point. The cotter pin (hair pin looking thing) holds it in place. It should spin freely. If not, adjust according to the previous post.

Attached Thumbnails Stiff as F*** clutch!-03-g35-clevis-pin.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Stiff as F*** clutch!