Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Stiff as F*** clutch!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2006 | 12:52 PM
|
Stiff as F*** clutch!

Im pretty sure that the super stiff clutch is common in G35s right? But is there anyway to soften it? Driving normally is no problem but when i'm stuck in traffic my leg gets tired.

Old 07-20-2006 | 12:55 PM
Premier Member
lol...when u get a sports car like these the car def works u like a workout...

might have to chnge clutch to get is softer

Old 07-20-2006 | 01:04 PM
Banned
watch out, you don't wanna burn it out lol

Old 07-20-2006 | 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by 35Blaze
Im pretty sure that the super stiff clutch is common in G35s right? But is there anyway to soften it? Driving normally is no problem but when i'm stuck in traffic my leg gets tired.
Your kidding right!
I had a 1971 Corvette Stingray 454 4 speed and my leg would tremble at red lights and thats using the 10 second rule... Then recently drove my buddies GTO 6.0 and thought, man, my G clutch feels like a Civic clutch after trying this out...

It's all relative man, but the 06 has a really easy clutch compaired to my 04.5... You have to realise it takes a good system to sustain 280lbs\ft torque... Be happy your not driving my old Stingray!

Last edited by htownboy; 07-20-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2006 | 01:45 PM
do more squats

Old 07-20-2006 | 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by htownboy
Your kidding right!
I had a 1971 Corvette Stingray 454 4 speed and my leg would tremble at red lights and thats using the 10 second rule... Then recently drove my buddies GTO 6.0 and thought, man, my G clutch feels like a Civic clutch after trying this out...

It's all relative man, but the 06 has a really easy clutch compaired to my 04.5... You have to realise it takes a good system to sustain 280lbs\ft torque... Be happy your not driving my old Stingray!
+1

G35s (coupe or sedan) have very light clutches. Try a alte-80s Mustang GT or an old 'Vette (like htownboy says) if you want to know what a "heavy" or "stiff" clutch feels like.

Besides... it's a performance car... suck it up, buttercup!

Old 07-20-2006 | 02:09 PM
10 second rule? could somebody explain this for me?

Old 07-20-2006 | 02:11 PM
my buddy got a 6speed and i dont noe if this common but wen ur hittin high rpms like 6500 shifting into second does it feel like ur gettin pushed forward cuz of the limited slip differential or wut... and also wen ur drivin like a normal person shiftin gears u can here the actually noise of the gears being shifted... im kinda dissapointed in that of infiniti

Old 07-20-2006 | 02:54 PM
Is the first inch of clutch pedal travel really stiff?

Both the G35s I've owned came with the clutch pedal adjusted wrong making them feel very stiff. Adjusting the pedal properly lightens the clutch up significantly.

Check the clevis pin on the clutch pedal, it should turn freely when the clutch pedal is at rest. If it is tight, the upper bump stop (cruise control sensor switch) needs to be adjusted.

You can fine tune the adjustment and get the best clutch feel by adjusting the bump stop to minimize the free play due to the slop in the clevis pin. The pin should still turn freely, but pressing the pedal more than 1/4" or so should bind it up and start to push in the plunger.

You will need to unplug the wire from the cruise sensor in order to turn it and adjust the bump stop. Use a small screwdriver to push in the connector release pin.

The reason a mis-adjusted pedal feels stiff is the pedal spring pushes back whenever the pedal is higher than the brake pedal. You're fighting a stiff pedal spring, not a stiff clutch.

Old 07-20-2006 | 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by rob40wilson03
10 second rule? could somebody explain this for me?
10 second rule:

Never hold the clucth pedal down for more than 10 seconds, if you need more time, put the trans in neutral and wait...
The "throwout bearing" is holding the "clutch plate" "fingers" and spinning with your engine, the 'bearing' is working hard and in between all that force and that 'bearing' is sealed and cannot be lubed or cooled so your taking serious life from it when sitting holding the pedal down while in gear for longer than a few seconds at a time. You have to remove the entire transmission to change that bearing if it fails; if you use the 10 second rule, the bearing will definately outlast the clutch so you can just change it if\when your clutch wears out.

Old 07-20-2006 | 03:09 PM
definitely good to know since im hopefully getting a G35c 6MT soon

i've never had a manual before (and i plan on practicing on an old beater ASAP) so does anyone know of a website or something that has tips/info like that for new manual drivers like myself?

Old 07-20-2006 | 03:14 PM
10 second rule:

Never hold the clucth pedal down for more than 10 seconds, if you need more time, put the trans in neutral and wait...
The "throwout bearing" is holding the "clutch plate" "fingers" and spinning with your engine, the 'bearing' is working hard and in between all that force and that 'bearing' is sealed and cannot be lubed or cooled so your taking serious life from it when sitting holding the pedal down while in gear for longer than a few seconds at a time. You have to remove the entire transmission to change that bearing if it fails; if you use the 10 second rule, the bearing will definately outlast the clutch so you can just change it if\when your clutch wears out.
Never thought about that. That's good to know!

Old 07-20-2006 | 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by rob40wilson03
definitely good to know since im hopefully getting a G35c 6MT soon

i've never had a manual before (and i plan on practicing on an old beater ASAP) so does anyone know of a website or something that has tips/info like that for new manual drivers like myself?
http://www.10w40.com/individual/100186.asp

Old 07-20-2006 | 03:19 PM
10 second rule:

You learn something new everyday. My throwout bearing is starting to squeak when I depress the clutch.

Old 07-20-2006 | 03:35 PM
you need to do more leg workout.......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Stiff as F*** clutch!