Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

stiff gear switch after 6mt fluid replacement by dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stiff gear switch after 6mt fluid replacement by dealer

The dealer got me to have my 6mt fluid replaced at 30,000 miles. When I got my car back, the action of the shifter seemed to be smoother. The next day however, when the car was cold, the stick shift became very stiff. And its like that every day while the car is cold now. Putting it in first gear while standing still is OK, but when I start moving, taking it out of 1st gear requires a lot of force. And it doesn't really wanna go into 2nd gear either. The problem goes away after driving on the freeway for 10 mins.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-19-2007, 02:00 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
go bak to the dealer... and you didnt need to do it at 30k.. i made that mistake too..

Old 12-29-2007, 01:50 PM
I have the same problem. I don't know what is wrong with the tranny. I took it to Glendale Infiniti and they gave me the run around saying it was my clutch. I think it maybe something wrong with the internals. Did you get this fixed by any chance?

Old 12-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find out what fluid they used...

If you have your repair order, post a scan of the parts that they charged you for and I can figure out what type they used by their part number...

Old 12-29-2007, 10:22 PM
I believe they used a 75w85 gear oil. I thought there was only one type of oil they put in our 6mt trannies.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:33 PM
they used pancake syrup in mine.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Mine is always hard to shift before the tranny warms up.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by maxpusher
I believe they used a 75w85 gear oil. I thought there was only one type of oil they put in our 6mt trannies.
You need to use genuine nissan manual transmission fluid--it's about 7$ per quart from the dealer. My guess is they just used regular old gear oil--some of those guys don't even know there is special oil.

I've even heard of the dealer putting gear oil into the automatic transmission cars because the auto tranny fluid for a Z/G runs about 16$ per quart and you need about 7 for a drain and fill.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I got the same runaround..maybe my clutch isn't bad. 2 different dealers and same answer. I need a new clutch...Mind you my car has not once ever slipped a gear at 45k. Maybe I'll just replace the fluid myself first and see what happens. But to the op my car has the same problem as yours except when it's cold I also grind 2nd till it's warm.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Re:

Hey, did you ever solve the problem with the dealership changing out your transmission fluid???? I have the same exact problem......I just had a Nismo Clutch(disc/pressure plate), OEM flywheel, Nismo Clutch Line put in my car...... I have the same symptoms as you in cold weather, however when I start to drive the car, you can hear a loud whining/squeeling sound coming from underneath the car......but it goes away after about 10 minutes on the highway.....They put in 75w85 fluid.....

Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 AM
^^I had the same symptoms..I switched out to amsoil synthetic 75w-90 gl-4 and I don't get the whining sound anymore and the gear are not as stiff in the mornings.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The dealership changed my fluid with rear end oil. I had the same symptoms, and when I drained out the oil it smelled like rear end oil. The nissan MTF does not have that nasty sulfer smell so I knew what they did. When I went back to the dealer they said they used the same oil in all manual tranny's and rear ends.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CBRworm
The dealership changed my fluid with rear end oil. I had the same symptoms, and when I drained out the oil it smelled like rear end oil. The nissan MTF does not have that nasty sulfer smell so I knew what they did. When I went back to the dealer they said they used the same oil in all manual tranny's and rear ends.

ummmm... no... they shouldnt...

Ill post the specific NISSAN PART NUMBER for the MTF tomorrow...

Old 01-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Just to let you guys know, a lot .....I mean a lottt of dealers are not stocking Genuine Nissan fluids for transmission and differential. They are stocking Penzoil, Quaker State and one dealer even has Napa. On the receipts, it will be a Nissan Part number but the actual fluid will not be Nissan. Also, another thing is that there still charging the same price as if it was for a genuine Nissan fluid. I just drained my transmission fluid and I had to use fluid from my local auto parts store b/c nobody down here had it. I am referring to both Nissan and Infiniti dealers. Surprised? I sure was and I will be creating a topic about this very soon to let the public know.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Today I went into my dealer to pick up oil for my Manual Tranny and Rear Dif and I got charged $88.22 CAD.

Paid for the oil first before they brought it out to me and I got 3 bottles of Quaker State 75w90 and 2 bottles of Penzoil oil for the Rear. So now I am stuck with oil I'm sure I could of bought at a local car shop for cheaper and if I refund the oil they will charge 20% restocking fee as stated on the receipt. This is BS.

I asked the guy should I not be getting genuine Nissan Oil and he stated that no dealer in Canada uses them anymore and that this is good enough for the car.

This took place at Markham Infiniti.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: stiff gear switch after 6mt fluid replacement by dealer