Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

2 little questions! :D (clutch questions)

Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 little questions! :D (clutch questions)

My first question is on take off, is it ok to start take off by not giving it gas and using the clutch? i hear it "frys" the clutch but i noticed a few do it where they will release the clutch so it catches and starts to move a bit then give it gas is that ok? or is that a bad habit?

2ed.. my car was making a little rattle noise at turn off took it in they said it was the tranny so they bought me a brand new one as well as a clutch since it kinda burnt out my clutch?... now im picking it up tomarrow morning with a brand new clutch and tranny what is the propper way to break it in? ive heard different storys where u dont need to break it in, 300 miles, 500 miles, dont go over 4k rpms, do all stop and go, stay away from free way driving, so im totaly confused...

i did a search here on the gforums and didnt find anything on either of the questions so here i am posting. Please help! Thanks

P.S. is this the right section? or is there a different section to post this for the g's.

Last edited by frog; 11-08-2007 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
go easy on it for 500 miles, thats typical break in for gears, rear ends, everything else, then take it back in to the dealer and have them check all the fluid levels and everything, and then POUND it and enjoy the new clutch (jealous)

Old 11-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by 06g35meister
go easy on it for 500 miles, thats typical break in for gears, rear ends, everything else, then take it back in to the dealer and have them check all the fluid levels and everything, and then POUND it and enjoy the new clutch (jealous)
i was hoping they would tell me there replacing my clutch before they did so i could see if i could upgrade it to a better one and pay the difference :P but they changed it with the new tranny and called "your car is done we ended up giving you a new clutch and tranny"

Old 11-08-2007, 05:38 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I learned to lightly ride the clutch enough to smell it one time to burn off the outside material on the disc to break it in.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 11-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always done the above with letting out the clutch pedal slightly to get the car moving and then giving it little gas until my foot is completely off the clutch and then give it my desired gas. But then again, my current Bimmer and last couple have pretty strong clutches and trannys so maybe the G doesn't favor this method?

Old 11-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice attachment!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:58 AM
yes +1 on the attachment. I learned something myself after driving a clutch for 8 years..

I guess thats what happens when you go from a ford ranger to a G haha

Old 11-08-2007, 01:18 PM
i talked to the guy at infiniti who installed the clutch and tranny i asked him the "proper" way to break it in, he said "i gave it a test drive its fine it should be broken in already after a cupple miles" then he mentioned "its not a race car so dont drive it like one and you will be fine" umm but everyone says 500miles no reving over 4k! /confused.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by ernie18
yes +1 on the attachment. I learned something myself after driving a clutch for 8 years..

I guess thats what happens when you go from a ford ranger to a G haha
Well, technically, the attachment is kinda wrong... yes, we have synchros so double clutching is not necessary, but for those grinding gears, you're grinding that gear because the synchros for that gear has worn out, so in this situation, double clutching may save you from destroying that gear until you shell out the money to replace the synchro. Not to mention it'll help the rough, grinding shift become a smooth shift, at least for the time being... And if you have a gear that's a bit stubborn or a bit hard to get into at times, same thing.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would be so scared if a tech told me that, uhhh I test drove your car and it will be broken in real quick. AHHHHHHH

Originally Posted by frog
i talked to the guy at infiniti who installed the clutch and tranny i asked him the "proper" way to break it in, he said "i gave it a test drive its fine it should be broken in already after a cupple miles" then he mentioned "its not a race car so dont drive it like one and you will be fine" umm but everyone says 500miles no reving over 4k! /confused.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Hey bro just broke in my new clutch and it feels nice now... 500 miles and dont go over 4500 rpms... tranny 500 miles... if they replaced the flywheel aswell becarefull not to over rev when letting the clutch out you dont want to ruin the surface when breaking it in... but for anything drivetrain 500 miles and you can continue to beat on it.

Last edited by SicK06.G35; 11-09-2007 at 10:22 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by SicK06.G35
Hey bro just broke in my new clutch and it feels nice now... 500 miles and dont go over 4500 rpms... tranny 500 miles... if they replaced the flywheel aswell becarefull not to over rev when letting the clutch out you dont want to ruin the surface when breaking it in... but for anything drivetrain 500 miles and you can continue to beat on it.

sounds good. thats what ill do, they did replace the flywheel with it. but its making a noise when its in Nuteral and it wont go in 5th smoothly... 5th is now far right, up and a half inch left for it to engage...time to take it back 3days after i got it back lol.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned
It's hard to ride on the clutch with the G. Since the engagement point is soo damn high, it usually lead to the car stalling.. But in my previous Acura, I can ride the clutch and give it some gas. I can even park my car just by riding the clutch alone.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its funny because my car is making a rattling noise at turn off aswell...
I took it to infiniti and they told me it was normal.
He said it was just the clutch plate moving around lol i don't think thats normal! it doesnt do it if i leave the clutch in while I turn it off only when i turn it off in neutral without the clutch, wut do yall think I should do??

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 little questions! :D (clutch questions)