Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Tranny Programming 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GurgenPB
" ...You guys (coupes) and the 03.5+ sedans do NOT downshift - ...
I have an 03.5 sedan - it downshifts. I would go for a kit if it would overcome that.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
do you have the latest tranny firmware?

BJ> The pedal reset procedure for the ECM I believe is on page EC-44 (the section to go into diagnostic mode without a Consult II device).

Last edited by rcdash; 05-29-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rcdash,

Thanks on the manual ref. My 2006 manual has the "positive crankcase ventilation system description" on page EC-44?

I also did a search on all of the "without consult II" references. I saw all about setting the pedal release throttle position, air flow, etc....but did not see anything about shifting.

Thanks for the patience. Perhaps we are looking at different years.

BJBBJB

Old 05-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Wayne,

I'm going to build a custom transmission controller for a close friend (he has a Caddy). It is possible that it my work with the VQ35.

We are going to start small, with basic tranny control and eventually work towards a complete stand alone controller.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The ECM reset page is attached for a 2004 coupe - sorry I said EC44 before; that's the idle air learning procedure for my 2004.

Not exactly sure that you mean ECM vs. TCM... (There are additional diagnostic tests you can perform without Consult II for the TCM)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EC64.pdf (30.5 KB, 879 views)
Old 06-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rcdash,

Thanks for the info. I now have found the similar section in mine. I am not sure what I mean either regarding ECM/TCM!

I see where resetting the ECU does a variety of things....but the reason I might want to reset the ECU is to perhaps get the auto tranny to shift at the appropriate time quicker....not to do any diagnostics. Although noone has said definitively that resetting it would help it shift better. It is the only part of this car I am not happy with.... I saw the reference to Gord's Grounding Gear but still have some warranty to consider.

I won't repeat the entire tale here, I posted/linked it on March 14th above.

Thanks again,

BJB

Old 06-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by BJBBJB
Rcdash,

Thanks for the info. I now have found the similar section in mine. I am not sure what I mean either regarding ECM/TCM!

I see where resetting the ECU does a variety of things....but the reason I might want to reset the ECU is to perhaps get the auto tranny to shift at the appropriate time quicker....not to do any diagnostics. Although noone has said definitively that resetting it would help it shift better. It is the only part of this car I am not happy with.... I saw the reference to Gord's Grounding Gear but still have some warranty to consider.

I won't repeat the entire tale here, I posted/linked it on March 14th above.

Thanks again,

BJB
ECU = Engine Control Unit (sometimes called ECM = Engine Control Management)... TCU = Transmission Control Unit. Resetting ECU won’t do a damn thing for your TCU or shifting response that you are after... Grounding Wires (such as Gord's - and Stillen) have received great reviews (actually a lot of good reviews for Gords)... You might want to consider having your ECU re-mapped such as Technosquare F-Flash (full flash)... I did and it helped the lack of immediate throttle response that I was miffed by. I know you are looking for quicker shifts, but you may be pleasantly surprised by the quicker throttle response and not so bothered by shift lag. If you want faster shifts definitely use MM mode. Full AT will always lag a bit but the quicker throttle response from ECU reflash helps. Check out www.technosquareinc.com for an explanation of drive by wire and partial throttle opening and how their reflash can help.

In the mean time - give the grounding wires a try.. If installed correctly there is no reason you should have warranty concerns (as posted above).

Happy modding!