Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GiantsFan280
Does anyone know where there is a straightforward DIY on hooking up a complete kill switch for the VDC? I know its something in the center console but couldn't find a picture or DIY anywhere.
Did you look at page 6 post no. 85 by me "SyCo" ?

https://g35driver.com/forums/4723889-post85.html

Maybe it is not detailed enough for you but if you have questions about doing it, just ask I'll try my best to help

Old 02-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SyCo
Did you look at page 6 post no. 85 by me "SyCo" ?

https://g35driver.com/forums/4723889-post85.html

Maybe it is not detailed enough for you but if you have questions about doing it, just ask I'll try my best to help
Thanks man! I'll be going to do that right now for sure.

What did you do to mount the switch? Just cut a hole in the liner and stuck it in there? The only issue I'm having is figuring out how/ where to mount it. I'm scared to start cutting holes in the center console.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks man! I'll be going to do that right now for sure.

What did you do to mount the switch? Just cut a hole in the liner and stuck it in there? The only issue I'm having is figuring out how/ where to mount it. I'm scared to start cutting holes in the center console.
The "liner" is in fact covered plastic molding. Since it is under the armrest, I chose to drill a small hole and put the switch there.

I'll let you decide by yourself if you want or not to drill a small hole. You could also run some longer wires all the way under the dash if you prefer. It's all up to you

Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
The "liner" is in fact covered plastic molding. Since it is under the armrest, I chose to drill a small hole and put the switch there.

I'll let you decide by yourself if you want or not to drill a small hole. You could also run some longer wires all the way under the dash if you prefer. It's all up to you
Thanks for the timely response man! I'm going to run to home depot now and get to work. I'm assuming I just need a normal toggle switch?

Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the timely response man! I'm going to run to home depot now and get to work. I'm assuming I just need a normal toggle switch?
yes, a normal on/off switch (Single Pole Single Throw)

Old 05-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks SyCo. I followed your walk-through and now VDC remains truly off.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by cavorn
Thanks SyCo. I followed your walk-through and now VDC remains truly off.
Your welcome

Of course it works, I use it everyday

Old 05-21-2010, 07:11 AM
Just installed a switch on mine and wanted to share some pics

YAW sensor with connector unplugged

Plug showing the orange wire to cut

Install some wires to a switch and insulate with heat tube

The switch

The switch now installed under armrest.
"On" (closed) position with cluster showing no VDC or Slip lights

"Off" (open) position with cluster showing VDC and Slip lights

Now, "vdc off" and YAW switch engaged with cluster showing only VDC light (normal operation)

Now ready to drift !
So it order to get it to not work, Just turn on the car normally and flip the switch?
or do i need to turn on the car, flip the switch, then turn off and on again?
I'm a bit confused of how to activate(deactivate) the vdc?

Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by skakemokid
So it order to get it to not work, Just turn on the car normally and flip the switch?
or do i need to turn on the car, flip the switch, then turn off and on again?
I'm a bit confused of how to activate(deactivate) the vdc?
If the switch is "on" (circuit closed), car operates normally since the orange wire is not cut. You can use the car VDC switch as usual.

If the switch is "off" (circuit open), VDC and Slip are disabled. The car VDC switch will have no effect.

You can flip the switch to "off" when you want (car running or not). The only thing to know it that when you put it back to "on" you need to cycle the ignition to reset everything to normal.

Of course, if you leave the switch to "off" all the time, it will disable VDC/Slip permanently !

Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 PM
cool.... or you can push the vdc button do a quick donut to cause the slip light to come on and stay on then go do some racing with no interference.....thats what my car does but without the donut...the slip light will come on and stay on creating the same situation with the toggle switch. good thread though. it's been revived a couple times. thats why some threads should be a sticky so that when the answer to a common question is answered the thread is right there so that there aren't any new ones made from people who don't search.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:08 PM
thanks SyCo, that clears it up for me, im gonna do this mod this weekend.. I finally understand why i cant do standing waterbox burnouts.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I've had my VDC off via the switch since I installed it. Such a great, simple mod. It gives you COMPLETE control over the car, rather than having computer interference every time you lose grip on a tire. ABS still works fine which is great.

However, I do not recommend this for people who don't know how to handle a car properly, even though you think you might. Very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, especially in nasty weather. You can spin out very easily.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
thats cool, I can't believe I am just now discovering this...something else for me to do this weekend. Thanks guys, you're all awesome!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 PM
if you wanna see your slip light go on with vdc off go do a burn out in the grass i was doin a u turn and go wheelspin one time and the light came off... vdc was off

Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracer33428
if you wanna see your slip light go on with vdc off go do a burn out in the grass i was doin a u turn and go wheelspin one time and the light came off... vdc was off
while that might be one way to do it, I would have to say that doing burnouts and donuts is not the correct method. A simple and cheap switch spliced into the harness is much better and does not require me to waste rubber or run my car through the grass. The switch method at worst will cost you $50 ($3-$10 switch, $20-$40 solder iron plus supplies) and be a much more repeatable process that doesnt stress other components of the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)