Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)

PLEASE DON'T POST ON THIS THREAD SAYING:
1. "Doesn't pushing the VDC Button turn off VDC?" (read what's out there first.)
2. "You shouldn't turn off VDC because..." (Duh)

If there is interest in this thread I will repost with more detail, maybe even with photos and a "how to".

After my initial frustration with VDC interference I installed a KPtechnologies controller to automatically set my VDC to the previous state (i.e. "Off", normally.) It does what they claim.

I still found that whenever I pushed it hard through corners, even with VDC "Off", VDC steps in, tapping the brakes and reducing throttle and generally spoiling my fun. I searched various forums and the web many times looking for a solution but NOooo, all I found was a lot of banter, no solid answers. Well, NO MORE!! HA!! I found a post that indicated that by unplugging the harness from the "G-sensor" the VDC could be entirely disabled without disabling the ABS or brake lights! I tried it and it WORKS! The SLIP light remains on though. I plan to identify the power lead to the sensor and install a switch on it. The service manual has instructions for removing the G-Sensor in the BRC section. Just be aware that the harness plug can be frustrating. I broke off the locking clips before I figured it out. Unbolt the sensor, then with the harness plugged fully in, pull out the locking clips on the sides of the harness plug before pulling the plug out. Time will tell if I really want the VDC fully off permanently. I suspect that I will indeed want to put in an on/off switch, even if just so when I take the car in for service, or let someone else drive the car I can return it to "Normal".

Here's the link to the post I found:

http://www.southfloridaracing.com/fo...ad.php?t=34456

Sagemark

Last edited by Sagemark; 05-06-2008 at 02:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sagemark:
AJY (12-11-2011), rkk6mt (07-23-2012)
Old 05-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
G-sensor = Yaw sensor under the center console? I've read about that in the Z forums.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:56 PM
G-sensor = Yaw sensor under the center console?

Yes. Maybe I was just less adept at searching out this solution than some others...

Old 05-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Red Card Crew

No you aren't. That info is buried and one has to dig for it. I appreciate you posting a specific thread for it. But your link doesn't work.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Corrected URL

Link to post where I found this information:

http://www.southfloridaracing.com/fo...ad.php?t=34456

I found that link through this thread:

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/inde...howtopic=15757

Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump.... can you post pics of where this sensor is. i cant fin it.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Simple. Remove the center console and unplug the Bosch sensor just aft of the shifter. I've done this a couple times and it fully defeats the VDC and traction control (the lights stay on too), but from what I can tell, ABS is still operational. If I unplug this, I can do a standstill burnout quite easily.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=DaveB]Simple. Remove the center console and unplug the Bosch sensor just aft of the shifter. I've done this a couple times and it fully defeats the VDC and traction control (the lights stay on too), but from what I can tell, ABS is still operational. If I unplug this, I can do a standstill burnout quite easily.

[QUOTE]

cool thanks. there wouldnt happen to be something under the hood that can be disconnected instead of having to take out the center console would there? If not, is there a DIY on how to take the center console out?

Old 05-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
^ search for the 'factory ipod integration' thread or something like that. it will link you to a DIY that shows how to take apart the center console.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 AM
On my manual sedan the trick to the console is to lift the rearmost (rear of car) edge of the plastic console part that goes around the shifter and ashtray. Once you lift that up there are two screws at the front, and two more on the sides near the rear between the seats holding the main part of the central console in. Pull the handbrake hard to get clearance to lift console off, or loosen handbrake handle if necessary. I left the shift boot in place and just turned the console to the side for access.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Installed VDC On/Off switch

I just installed a switch that does the job beautifully. I used a small black plastic toggle switch from Radio Shack. I installed it in the bottom of the change well in the center console so that its covered by the drink holder area cover next to the parking brake. It matches the size of the bottom of the change well nicely, and is just the right height to fit inside the area without obstructing the cover. Sorry I have no photos, maybe later.

I tested voltage on all the points of the G-sensor harness, only one of them read 12V. (and that only for a moment, then it falls off...kind of strange.) That was the orange wire. I cut that wire and put the switch in line with wires a foot long to allow for lifting up the console for access. I used push together wire fasteners to allow for easy disconnection. I doubt I'll ever go back in there again unless its to return it to stock. In that case I'll either need a new change well since I've drilled a hole in it, or I'll need to glue in a small square of plastic and a bit of that fuzzy cloth. I did also have to drill away some plastic under the change well on the console itself to allow the switch to fit but that is in a hidden area. The console itself is cosmetically unchanged.

Turned off, VDC and traction control are completely disabled while ABS remains fully functional. Turn it on, restart the car and it's back to normal. Totally discreet and completely effective. This completely achieved my objective after wishing for a solution for about a year now. I can't believe it was so hard to find information on how to do this.

The following users liked this post:
undadog (07-03-2012)
Old 05-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
When I turn off my VDC it IS off. Ive autocrossed many times and been to the track once. With VDC off by pushing the button, it has never ever kicked in trying to slow the car. I wonder why it would be any different for you guys.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On our cars the VDC wont let you do a full burn out even when its off.. its quite fustrating for some of the guys that track at the drags..

Anyways the ONLY way to disable the traction control completely without disabling ABS is to add a on/off switch on the YAW sensor.. Your slip and VDC light will remain on after that and you will NOT be able to turn the VDC back on without reconnecting the YAW sensor and cycling the key. You can also disable the system by throwing your car COMPLETELY out of wack IE doing doughnuts and it'll disable the system for your own saftey (since the traction control module has no idea whats goign on anymore and is doing it for your own saftey). ALL other ways, pulling relays, fuses, etc.. will result in disabling the complete control module for both ABS and VDC..

This method is completely pointless unless you need it do drift or do burnouts.. some guys disable it to dyno but as you can see our cars dyno just fine with a simple VDC off..

Old 05-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Red Card Crew

^ Are you just expanding on the OP's comments?

For me, it would be nice to be able to get around the electronic nanny that prevents us auto guys from getting a good launch. With my oem tires, I could do a burnout w/ the VDC off no problem. But with the 19" 245-40s RE050s, the car just bogs. If putting the Yaw sensor on a switch (I assume this the orange wire everyone talks about) would accomplish this, that would be great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)