Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Traction Control Off

interesting article.

i have few question about it.

1-is possible to do it on infiniti fx 35 2004 awd?
2-if i disconnect the bosh module from the harness, just the traction control light will be on or even either the slip light?
3-can i burnout on infiniti fx 35 awd?
4-apart of the burnout, if i disable it can i get better 1/4 drag times?

my infiniti has few mods.

1-stillen exhaust
2-stillen headers
3-stillen cold intake
4-under drive pulley
5-motordyne plenium spacer 1/2 inch.

i make the question because turning off the VDC by the oem switch, will not make any diference on drag race or even trying to do a burnout.

Regards,

Originally Posted by Sagemark
PLEASE DON'T POST ON THIS THREAD SAYING:
1. "Doesn't pushing the VDC Button turn off VDC?" (read what's out there first.)
2. "You shouldn't turn off VDC because..." (Duh)

If there is interest in this thread I will repost with more detail, maybe even with photos and a "how to".

After my initial frustration with VDC interference I installed a KPtechnologies controller to automatically set my VDC to the previous state (i.e. "Off", normally.) It does what they claim.

I still found that whenever I pushed it hard through corners, even with VDC "Off", VDC steps in, tapping the brakes and reducing throttle and generally spoiling my fun. I searched various forums and the web many times looking for a solution but NOooo, all I found was a lot of banter, no solid answers. Well, NO MORE!! HA!! I found a post that indicated that by unplugging the harness from the "G-sensor" the VDC could be entirely disabled without disabling the ABS or brake lights! I tried it and it WORKS! The SLIP light remains on though. I plan to identify the power lead to the sensor and install a switch on it. The service manual has instructions for removing the G-Sensor in the BRC section. Just be aware that the harness plug can be frustrating. I broke off the locking clips before I figured it out. Unbolt the sensor, then with the harness plugged fully in, pull out the locking clips on the sides of the harness plug before pulling the plug out. Time will tell if I really want the VDC fully off permanently. I suspect that I will indeed want to put in an on/off switch, even if just so when I take the car in for service, or let someone else drive the car I can return it to "Normal".

Here's the link to the post I found:

http://www.southfloridaracing.com/fo...ad.php?t=34456

Sagemark

Old 06-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carloslara
interesting article.

i have few question about it.

2-if i disconnect the bosh module from the harness, just the traction control light will be on or even either the slip light?

my infiniti has few mods.

1-stillen exhaust
2-stillen headers
3-stillen cold intake
4-under drive pulley
5-motordyne plenium spacer 1/2 inch.

i make the question because turning off the VDC by the oem switch, will not make any diference on drag race or even trying to do a burnout.

Regards,

-I don't have personal experience but I can't see why not.

-The slip light and the "VDC Off" lights will be ON. (edited-corrects "off")

- I don't have personal experience but I truly doubt it.

-I don't have personal experience but maybe. Do you break your tires loose when you launch? If you do AND if VDC or TCS kicks in then very possibly. If not then I think there is little to be gained. Do you have enough power to spin tires much on launch?? I can't imagine you do...

If you want faster times, I'd think the best thing you could do is tuning to take advantage of the mods you've done and make more power. Look up Osirus, Altered Atmosphere and Technosquare for their reflash solutions or other piggyback ems. I'm thinking of going with Osirus myself, if I do cams or an exhaust. If you look seriously at Osirus You may need to install wideband sensors along with it. Early G35's, those built through May 04, require them in order to have logging analyzed to customize reflash maps. That's a subject for another thread though.

Last edited by Sagemark; 06-24-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Found out about another advantage to disabling VDC

I went to Carolina Motorsports Park for a track day last week with my sedan with stock calipers and aftermarket slotted disks. It's a very hard track on brakes. I ran Hawk HP Plus pads. The front pads rapidly heated beyond their operating temperature range and trashed my front rotors with extreme heat. After a second shortened session I'd cracked a rotor from hat to outer edge both sides 1/8". After I replaced the rotors with better ones I got in a couple more sessions. I still overheated the pads but did a lot better and the rotors were ok.

A brake pad company rep working there and a couple other guys were surprised that my rear brakes actually worked ok, didn't overheat and didn't blow straight through the pads. They all said that the VDC system normally activates the brakes in the corners on the track (partly due to the system using the rear brakes to act as an electronically controlled limited slip system powering out of corners) and that the rear brakes burn up as a result in one track day. The difference with mine was VDC was disabled.

Last edited by Sagemark; 06-24-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:20 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
thanks for the info sage.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 PM
can you put me in contact with the osirus system or tuning.

i had my own wideband from innovatek.

let me know about it.

i will try to find the traction control module. i have to disarm the whole center console for.

-I don't have personal experience but maybe. Do you break your tires loose when you launch? If you do AND if VDC or TCS kicks in then very possibly. If not then I think there is little to be gained. Do you have enough power to spin tires much on launch?? I can't imagine you do...

If you want faster times, I'd think the best thing you could do is tuning to take advantage of the mods you've done and make more power. Look up Osirus, Altered Atmosphere and Technosquare for their reflash solutions or other piggyback ems. I'm thinking of going with Osirus myself, if I do cams or an exhaust. If you look seriously at Osirus You may need to install wideband sensors along with it. Early G35's, those built through May 04, require them in order to have logging analyzed to customize reflash maps. That's a subject for another thread though.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Sequential injection LPG

also i have a Tartarini Sequential injection LPG system. the ECU is programable for tunning purpose. as you may know the LPG has 105 octane rate, so i want to take more advantage of the fuel moving the timing grade + upfront. but also i want to know how i can modify the timing.

take a look of my suv.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by carloslara
also i have a Tartarini Sequential injection LPG system. the ECU is programable for tunning purpose. as you may know the LPG has 105 octane rate, so i want to take more advantage of the fuel moving the timing grade + upfront. but also i want to know how i can modify the timing.

take a look of my suv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3_ld90-cc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwxlLyVa2co

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVI7TCmy-LE
Look at the reflash offerings I mentioned. Call Uprev about their Osiris reflash system, I think it would be really good for your application because you should be able to have a map with advanced timing for LPG and switch back to the stock map using the cruise control switch. They can even analyze your logs and send you modified maps to optimize your tune which you then flash to your ECU from your laptop. It's very cool.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 PM
thanks,

let me call then! did you like the video with the LPG sequential system?

did you like also the drag race on lpg?

Look at the reflash offerings I mentioned. Call Uprev about their Osiris reflash system, I think it would be really good for your application because you should be able to have a map with advanced timing for LPG and switch back to the stock map using the cruise control switch. They can even analyze your logs and send you modified maps to optimize your tune which you then flash to your ECU from your laptop. It's very cool.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm interesting because when i turn off my vdc, i can do burnouts and take corners without it kickin in at all.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to dig this thread up from the grave but I have a question, I read somewhere something about the newer models using the yaw sensor to know when to hold gear on the AT in instances such as cornering etc. Has anyone who has done this noticed any effect of the tranny not holding the gear during turns? Specifically in the earlier models although I'm not sure if they use the yaw sensor as well.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:28 AM
I've got a 03 VQ n never had a problem with AT. Doesn't respond much in
1st, most grunt is 2nd n 3rd. With VDC: when I turn off VDC the slip light doesn't come on so I'm wondering if it actually worksat all.

Last edited by woodstar; 09-25-2008 at 05:33 AM. Reason: add to
Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by woodstar
I've got a 03 VQ n never had a problem with AT. Doesn't respond much in
1st, most grunt is 2nd n 3rd. With VDC: when I turn off VDC the slip light doesn't come on so I'm wondering if it actually worksat all.
Really? my 3rd seems rather sluggish

Old 09-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian
When I turn off my VDC it IS off. Ive autocrossed many times and been to the track once. With VDC off by pushing the button, it has never ever kicked in trying to slow the car. I wonder why it would be any different for you guys.
+1... To each his own but VDC off I can do anything I want and demand from the car besides doing standstill burn out with my left foot on the brake. Even if i had DRs at the 1/4 mile track, a sudden clutch drop would be enough to start a burn out and hold it as long as i want in a water box without touching the rev-limiter or the brake pedal.

I can not imagine how does that "secondary" traction control interfere with your fun? What is it exactly that the car will not let you do with VDC off? Im not flaming you, im just currious.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
BTW i just finished reading a good portion of this thread and I would like to clarify some things.

I have only noticed my slip light come on many times in various occasions including holding a drift and just acceleration in rain while the tires lose traction. However i haven't noticed the SLIP light doing anything mechanical as far as the car's behavior is concerned. I have had the car snap oversteer in 3rd gear going over 70mph and nothing interfered between my gas pedal and my steering angle and i was able to hold the slide without any electronic interference. This proves that under oversteer situation, if VDC is off then nothing will hold u from holding a slide and control it with ur right foot and steering angle, however about 3 years ago when my car was on stock suspension and stock tires and i was going down a curvy hill in a rain (not fast at all) and all of a sudden my front tires lost grip and the car started going towards the guardrail. Well at the time I had no choice but to gently tap on brakes and hope that the car would slow down. As soon as my foot went on brakes and gently pressed the pedal, the whole car started braking and all 4 wheels started to do their individual braking and amazingly the car just stopped sliding within a split second.

The reason I wrote this scenario that actually happened to me is because this proves under uncontrollable understeer situations that “secondary” traction control will kick in to prevent u from dieing and I personally think it is the most useful feature on this car. I hate any kind of electronics when it comes to driving but anything that prevents understeer, im up for it.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Infinus

Originally Posted by infinus
Really? my 3rd seems rather sluggish :(
Yeah, it screams in first but I can really get good torque in next two. I thought it was supposed to have a rev limiter, but I've done 5-6k in 2nd (the stereo was up n didn't realise I was in manual mode) - it screamed then as well. For an AT it goes well. Maybe I've got a problem with the VDC and the limiter?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)