Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with an "x" try this yet? Just looking for actual experience... as much as I like to hear opinions, I am looking for someone who has tried it.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sagemark
After talking to a knowledgeable dealership professional about VDC off functions I learned that when VDC is turned off, TCS remains on.

Exactly what the nuances between what VDC does and what TCS does, I don't know, but what I have been told is that the 350z Enthusiast model is the only model that has no TCS, so when VDC is turned off, there is no system interference. All other 350z's and all G35s have a TCS system operating at all times, regardless of whether you turn off VDC, unless the G-Sensor (also called a Yaw sensor) has been disconnected.

If you are not experiencing the TCS operating then the only possibilities are:

#1. You aren't pushing the vehicle into a condition where TCS takes action.
#2. You aren't realizing that it is taking action when it is.
#3. Your TCS system has failed or is malfunctioning (without throwing a code or warning light).
#4. The experiences of the many folks who have experienced TCS operating with VDC off all have cars that Nissan built with a different set safety system parameters than the car you happen to own AND the dealership I spoke with on the subject is misinformed on the subject.

We can all believe what we want to believe, but I strongly doubt that #3 or #4 are at all likely.
Great post and nice thread. I have validated all claims in my FSM for a 2004.5 G35 coupe and I believe the OP has explained through observation and investigation how the system actually works. Well done.

I have attached the single best page from the FSM that supports the claims.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pages from brc.pdf (33.2 KB, 615 views)
Old 10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks!

I appreciate your comments after enduring incessant beating down on this subject by folks who are just so sure it ain't so...

Originally Posted by rcdash
Great post and nice thread. I have validated all claims in my FSM for a 2004.5 G35 coupe and I believe the OP has explained through observation and investigation how the system actually works. Well done.

I have attached the single best page from the FSM that supports the claims.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
thread digg.. i will be installing a switch to take out the yaw signal. i was on a hairpin and slightly tapped the brakes and the car almost jumped into a different lane. all tires had traction at the time.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so is this signal wire different from the brake light plug from behind the accel? if so, what are the differences in affects? i would like this for cornering and drag burnouts with the brake engaged.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Canadian
When I turn off my VDC it IS off. Ive autocrossed many times and been to the track once. With VDC off by pushing the button, it has never ever kicked in trying to slow the car. I wonder why it would be any different for you guys.
Was that artical on you and your car in Tuner mag? I think if you have enough power like you do, it could be TRYING to do SOMETHING but has no idea how to do it.

I loved that artical btw

Old 10-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Read every post to page 4 and my eyes hurt. My experience is that TSC might take steering angle into affect. (04 6MT Sedan)

If i do a hard drop in a straight line, I don't seem to have any interference with VDC off.

If i try to lose the tail end at with the wheel turned more than (guessing here) 20-30*, my SLIP light comes on and there is interference.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:30 AM
i have an 05x, and ill have to try it. i have vdc turned off almost all the time. with it off, i get the slip light once in awhile. most of the time, when going down a driveway slanted it starts flashing for a few seconds, only reason i can think of is one tire slips alil cause less pressure on it?
ive never felt the secondary system kick in, but honestly, with my tires, coilovers and the awd... i rarely loose traction. ive autocrossed it, but usually trying to figure how to fit it through the miata chicago box...
also, ive disabled the awd system and gotten it to get alil back happy, but never really tried it that much. ill have to try some different things and see what happens

Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by .50Ca£
I added brake fluid and the VDC off and SLIP stopped popping up
I would recommend everyone check their fluid on a regular basis. I installed a BBK, and filled with ATE Super Blue fluid, and was within the Min/Max marks on the reservoir, and had the VDC and SLIP lights coming on on random occasions. I topped off the fluid, and the lights went away, and stayed away.

Just my $.02

Ian

Old 11-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Just installed a switch on mine and wanted to share some pics

YAW sensor with connector unplugged

Plug showing the orange wire to cut

Install some wires to a switch and insulate with heat tube

The switch

The switch now installed under armrest.
"On" (closed) position with cluster showing no VDC or Slip lights

"Off" (open) position with cluster showing VDC and Slip lights

Now, "vdc off" and YAW switch engaged with cluster showing only VDC light (normal operation)

Now ready to drift !

Last edited by SyCo; 12-02-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:37 AM
interesting. hows it drive?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by R35SEDAN
interesting. hows it drive?
Has discussed in previous replys... It's pretty much the same as with "VDC Off"... but I'm now assured that TCS will never kick in unless I want to.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
pushing the VDC button when the YAW is disengaged takes off the slip light?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
pushing the VDC button when the YAW is disengaged takes off the slip light?
In fact no. I've just edited my reply. If you disengage the YAW sensor everything is disabled and stay that way until you engage the YAW and cycle the ignition.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
ok, thats what I understood initially. Just making sure. thanks for the clarification.

Do you notice better off the line response? Its been speculated for a long time that the ECU cuts throttle when holding the brake and the gas pedals simultaneously because of the YAW sensor. Does this hold true?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)