Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
ok, thats what I understood initially. Just making sure. thanks for the clarification.

Do you notice better off the line response? Its been speculated for a long time that the ECU cuts throttle when holding the brake and the gas pedals simultaneously because of the YAW sensor. Does this hold true?
Sorry cannot confirm the brake burnout think since my G35 will not see the road until next spring

Old 12-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
ok, thats what I understood initially. Just making sure. thanks for the clarification.

Do you notice better off the line response? Its been speculated for a long time that the ECU cuts throttle when holding the brake and the gas pedals simultaneously because of the YAW sensor. Does this hold true?
When I've unplugged the yaw sensor, I have not noticed improved launching capability. All I've really noticed is that it's far easier to do a burnout. At my next auto-x I need to remember to unplug it and see if I notice a difference.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Nuts. I was really hoping that this was going to improve launching to some degree.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
It states in the manual, that hitting VDC off will shut off vdc, but it will keep some other features still on...

Here exact words from the manual itself...very important:

"The VDC system uses an Active Brake Limited
Slip (ABLS) system to improve vehicle
traction. The ABLS system works when
one of the driving wheels is spinning on a
slippery surface. The ABLS system brakes
the spinning wheel which distributes the
driving power to the other driving wheel.
If the vehicle is operated with the VDC
system turned off, all VDC system functions
and TCS functions will be turned off.
The ABLS system and ABS will still operate
with the VDC system off. When the
ABLS system is activated, the ªSLIPº indicator
light will blink and you may hear a
clunk noise and/or feel a pulsation in the
brake pedal. This is normal and is not an
indication of a malfunction."

-http://www.z-car.com/lotus/files/2006-Infiniti-G35.pdf
5-28, in the manual.

Which basically means, ABS still works, which has nothing to do with spinning your tires, so forget that. But the ABLS is still on, but it only works if one tire is spinning faster than the other, it will just slow down one of the wheels. It has no regard for the g force on the car, lateral force (VDC), or general too much tire spinning (TCS). ABLS is basically an electronic LSD, for it only works on the two drive wheels.

So to get down to technicalities, those who have said VDC does not fully shut off, you're kinda right, and those who have said VDC does fully shut off, you're kinda right. But I'm going to have to put my favor in those who have said the VDC DOES shut off, cuz only the ABLS is operating, not the VDC in totality.

The end.

Last edited by SlickSilverG; 12-07-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by SlickSilverG
Here exact words from the manual itself...very important:

"... When the
ABLS system is activated, the ªSLIPº indicator
light will blink and you may hear a
clunk noise and/or feel a pulsation in the
brake pedal. This is normal and is not an
indication of a malfunction."
So that means that if the SLIP light is always lit (using the YAW disable switch) that the ABLS is not active ?!

GReat !

Old 12-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
yes, which is good for tracking

Old 12-10-2009, 12:45 AM
It is a little odd having ABLS, if you already have LSD....sounds like over kill to me..

I almost always drive without VDC on, saves tires, brakes, and gives me less random jolts when I'm trying to drive the way I like to (fast).

Can a sticky be made how to disable ABLS? I don't feel like fishing through this entire thread for a thorough explanation .

Old 12-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Premier Member

Received 418 Likes on 336 Posts
I almost always drive without VDC on, saves tires, brakes, and gives me less random jolts when I'm trying to drive the way I like to (fast).
So how exactly does its save tires when the car stops stopping you from spinning your wheels? I'd think the opposite

Old 12-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by seymore4
So how exactly does its save tires when the car stops stopping you from spinning your wheels? I'd think the opposite
If you're not burning rubber or chirping, your tires are just sliding 'above' the pavement, sometimes when g force gets lifted while you drive it happens. Basically your tires are losing traction completely, no traction no tire burn, like spinning your tires on ice. But the brakes stop the rapid spinning, and thus plant your tires back to the street again causing more friction and traction, which uses more rubber than just spinning tires.

The purpose of the VDC is to keep constant friction, friction = rubber loss.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently went from an 05 35x to an o5 6spd rwd. I was able to get my x into a 4 wheel drift in the rain with the vdc (off) but i think that has to do with the donut theory i heard in here. The button seems to get the job done on the 6spd. Is this strictly an auto and x thing?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a first generation G35 coupe and I also thought the traction control was completely off once your pressed the button until yesterday. I got stuck on some ice trying to climb up a hill and sure enough with enough wheel spin the fuking traction control kicked in at a bad time. I was so pissed at how the car would quit just as I was gaining speed out of the crud even with VDC off.

The switch sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by TheG35Dude; 01-11-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by TheG35Dude
I have a first generation G35 coupe and I also thought the traction control was completely off once your pressed the button until yesterday. I got stuck on some ice trying to climb up a hill and sure enough with enough wheel spin the fuking traction control kicked in at a bad time. I was so pissed at how the car would quit just as I was gaining speed out of the crud even with VDC off.

The switch sounds like a good idea.
I had the same thing happen: too much snow made it so I couldn't make it up the hill because the brakes kept kicking in even when the VDC is off. Do you think that's bad for the car if it happens too much?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:27 PM
The VDC drives me insane sometimes. Especially with the brakes. It snowed a little the other day, wasn't supposed to so I ended up driving the G. The brakes and VDC just start going insane the second I touch the brakes. I slid a few times when I definitely shouldn't have, all because of the VDC kicking in when it wasn't needed.

When I drive with it off, It usually stays off but limits the rev's to 4500 when I'm spinning the tires. If I touch the brakes I can hear the VDC going nuts on my brakes or whatever the pinging noise is up front when its doing its thing. I have no idea, but it drives me insane. I took a turn and tried to slide the back out a little, and as soon as I got a little skid going, the car decided to shift to second gear, even though I was at about 3/4 throttle. So next time I put it in tip mode, put it in first, and did the same thing. Got it sideways nice but the brakes start tapping after a few seconds.

Does anyone know where there is a straightforward DIY on hooking up a complete kill switch for the VDC? I know its something in the center console but couldn't find a picture or DIY anywhere.

Last edited by GiantsFan280; 01-31-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by GiantsFan280
The VDC drives me insane sometimes. Especially with the brakes. It snowed a little the other day, wasn't supposed to so I ended up driving the G. The brakes and VDC just start going insane the second I touch the brakes. I slid a few times when I definitely shouldn't have, all because of the VDC kicking in when it wasn't needed.

When I drive with it off, It usually stays off but limits the rev's to 4500 when I'm spinning the tires. If I touch the brakes I can hear the VDC going nuts on my brakes or whatever the pinging noise is up front when its doing its thing. I have no idea, but it drives me insane. I took a turn and tried to slide the back out a little, and as soon as I got a little skid going, the car decided to shift to second gear, even though I was at about 3/4 throttle. So next time I put it in tip mode, put it in first, and did the same thing. Got it sideways nice but the brakes start tapping after a few seconds.

Does anyone know where there is a straightforward DIY on hooking up a complete kill switch for the VDC? I know its something in the center console but couldn't find a picture or DIY anywhere.
How bout writing to Infiniti instead how you can't stand it?

Old 02-01-2010, 02:21 AM
How bout writing to Infiniti instead how you can't stand it?
So out of the 7 pages of the thread I'm the one who got to you? I, as well as every other G driver with this issue, feel that it's ridiculous to have a switch to turn it off when it doesn't even do that. I was simply stating what was going on with it, what I didn't like, and then asked if anyone knew of a DIY for a VDC kill switch. In fact I was just contributing to the subject.

Why is it that most members on this site feel the need to be complete as$holes to everybody? If you have a problem with someone's post just leave the thread genius. Or waste your time typing out your useless reply.

But I'm sure sending a letter to Infiniti would fix all my problems. They will tell me theres an issue with it and recommend I take it to a dealer for a 700 dollar fix

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.)