Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Matic-J

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HiTechOilCo
To help clear up some confusion on this topic, (which is spread by possibly less than honest, or unknowledgeable, Nissan dealer service departments), "Nissan Matic-J", transmission fluid is not a brand name, but a performance standard. You can use any transmission fluid you want in your car and still maintain the warranty, as long as the brand of transmission fluid meets the Nissan Matic-J performance standard.

It's just like GM Dexron transmisison fluid, or Ford Mercon transmission fluid, or Chrysler ATF+4 transmission fluid. These all are not brand names but performance standards.

There are many transmission fluids that meet or exceed the Nissan Matic-J performance standard, such as AMSOIL synthetic ATF -

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/de...aspx?zo=349698

Click on, "Transmission Fluid", then, "Synthetic Universal Transmission Fluid", and note the many world wide transmission fluid performance standards it meets or exceeds, including Nissan Matic D, J & K.

Folks, you aren't forced into buying over-priced dealer service department provided fluids for your vehicles. Don't allow yourselves to be bullied, intimidated and lied to!

A good performing synthetic ATF will make for smoother shifting, a longer lasting transmission, quieter operation, a mild increase in fuel economy, more power to the ground/better performance, cooler operating temperatures, superior cold weather performance and lower maintenance costs in safe extended drain intervals.
The 2008 owner's manual states:

"Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty"

The bolded word in the paragraph above is by me. Therefore, at the time of printing the manual Nissan was saying matic-J was required or "driveability" and "...durability..." would deteriorate.

Note I started this thread in hopes of confirming or disproving the rumors that NISSAN matic-s was replacing NISSAN matic-j.

I as an owner would not venture from Nissan fluids, especially with the way Nissan worded the paragraph...

Old 12-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
The 2008 owner's manual states:

"Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty"

The bolded word in the paragraph above is by me. Therefore, at the time of printing the manual Nissan was saying matic-J was required or "driveability" and "...durability..." would deteriorate.

Note I started this thread in hopes of confirming or disproving the rumors that NISSAN matic-s was replacing NISSAN matic-j.

I as an owner would not venture from Nissan fluids, especially with the way Nissan worded the paragraph...
Again, "Genuine Nissan Matic J ATF", is a performance standard, not a brand name.

Nowhere in that paragraph does it state anything that you must use the original equipment brand fluid.

Further still, per the Federal Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, no equipment or vehicle manufacturer can require the use of a specific name brand of lubricant and make this a contingent of the warranty, unless the stated lubricant is provided free of charge to the consumer for the entire warranty period.

Again, don't let the stealership bully you and intimidate your wallet open with scare tactics.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm not bullied by them. I use GC in my car and will use Amsoil Gear Oil in my front and rear differentials. However, for transmission and transfer case, I'll be using "Genuine Nissan fluids".... Now whether it will be matic-j or matic-s for the trans is up for debate....

Old 12-30-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm not bullied by them. I use GC in my car and will use Amsoil Gear Oil in my front and rear differentials. However, for transmission and transfer case, I'll be using "Genuine Nissan fluids".... Now whether it will be matic-j or matic-s for the trans is up for debate....
Why use the overpriced stealership fluid?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
why not go to Nissan and do the oil change there? they use the same fluid for a half price of Infinti does and you keep your warranty also.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
why not go to Nissan and do the oil change there? they use the same fluid for a half price of Infinti does and you keep your warranty also.
The warranty is in full affect with whatever fluid is used, as long as it meets or exceeds the required performance specifications.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
I don't trust them. I've experienced where a dealer's oil change person put the drain plug on too tight or cross thread the drain plug. I brought my 1998 Sienna minivan (bought used from my sister-in-law) to the dealer for oil changes since that engine had a sludge issue and Toyota extended the warranty on that engine. On the 3rd or 4th oil change, the person cross threaded the drain plug. It isn't rocket science and the person still screwed it up.

Let's face it, most likely they'll have the least experienced person do the oil changes or tire rotations. Why take the risk on this especially when I've been doing oil changes since the early 1980's, have never cross threaded or over tightened a drain plug?

I'm a DIY'er when it comes to tire rotations, oil changes, air/cabin filter changes, spark plugs, coolant, transmission fluid changes, differential gear oil, brakes.

Now when it comes to water pumps or timing belts, where I would need more know-how, I'd bring it to a dealer.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm a DIY'er when it comes to tire rotations, oil changes, air/cabin filter changes, spark plugs, coolant, transmission fluid changes, differential gear oil, brakes.

Now when it comes to water pumps or timing belts, where I would need more know-how, I'd bring it to a dealer.
Or, any competent independent auto center who could do the repair just as well and usually for much less money than a stealership.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Why use the overpriced stealership fluid?
I don't want to be a guinea pig.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Or, any competent independent auto center who could do the repair just as well and usually for much less money than a stealership.
Correct, if I can find one, specific to Infiniti's.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't want to be a guinea pig.
A guinea pig...for what?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Correct, if I can find one, specific to Infiniti's.

Specific to Infiniti's? It's a vehicle, like all the other millions of vehicles on the road.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Erm, actually, I started this thread

I'm sort of with what "HiTechOilGuy" says, AFAIK, the matic-J is a rating. Kind of like Toyota recommends dexron 3 (?) which was replaced by dexron 4 (? again).

I believe I'll go with the Amsoil when I do my drain/fill and I'll let you all know when...sorry IF...my tranny blows up.

If the owners manual states not to use a machine to flush the transmission, what is it that we're paying the dealer to do when they flush it?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky-G
Erm, actually, I started this thread

I'm sort of with what "HiTechOilGuy" says, AFAIK, the matic-J is a rating. Kind of like Toyota recommends dexron 3 (?) which was replaced by dexron 4 (? again).

I believe I'll go with the Amsoil when I do my drain/fill and I'll let you all know when...sorry IF...my tranny blows up.

If the owners manual states not to use a machine to flush the transmission, what is it that we're paying the dealer to do when they flush it?
Damn. My brain fart. Must have been thinking of another thread I started on another site re: oil.. My bad..

Anyway, good luck with the Amsoil.

As for why the dealers are using the machine, I suspect it's easier and faster. The method shown in the FSM would take at least 2 people, if not 3 to do well and efficiently. Also, from reading various posts, the tranny is able to pump the fluid faster than a person is able to pour the new fluid down the filler pipe. So, appears the engine would have to be stopped and started multiple times in order to fill the tranny at the same rate the fluid is coming out..

Man am I embarrassed..

Old 01-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Haha no embarrassment here brother!

Well, I plan to do a drain and fill and then drain and fill again after around 3k miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Matic-J