Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Matic-J

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up j-matic

We can sell it to ya also, pm for price,thx!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds good Derek!

What's a typical flush job (tranny and cooler) run at a dealership?

Old 12-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was quoted about $260 for a complete flush for my 08 G35X by a dealer. However, they use some kind of machine to flush the fluid out. I just don't trust it since the shop manual doesn't recommend this particular method.

That being said, how about the matic-s fluid? Can that be mixed in with the matic-j fluid?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
That being said, how about the matic-s fluid? Can that be mixed in with the matic-j fluid?
Why are you asking?

NO. J-matic only!! It's been answered 10000000 times. Including this thread.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Canadian
Why are you asking?

NO. J-matic only!! It's been answered 10000000 times. Including this thread.
Why am I asking? I'm asking because I've heard that matic-s is a replacement for matic-j (by the way, it's not j-matic). It may have been "... answered 10000000 times" but requirements change.

You might want to check out these links:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...218962&fpart=1

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothrea...postid=3775826

https://g35driver.com/forums/general...luids-use.html

Old 12-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
Why am I asking? I'm asking because I've heard that matic-s is a replacement for matic-j (by the way, it's not j-matic). It may have been "... answered 10000000 times" but requirements change.

You might want to check out these links:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...218962&fpart=1

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothrea...postid=3775826

https://g35driver.com/forums/general...luids-use.html
I don't care what anyone says. It says it on the car! Use ONLY J-MATIC fluid. Go use matic-s if you believe it will be fine, otherwise stick to what is recommended and what everyone else does. If you use anything else, you will not be able to get your transmission warrantied if anything happens. So whats the point? To save $30?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Infiniti told me that a full flush require about 11 quarts for the 5AT.

Every 30K its recommended that you drain, which normally replaces 5-6 quarts. This keeps about half the fluid under its wear point for the tranny fluid.

My 2003 sedan didnt come with the tranny fluid dipstick... I had to go to the dealer to have them measure and make sure I wasn't low/overfilled.

I'm told that www.everythingg35.com has this dipstick.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Also, the matic-J is what is suggested but if Matic-S is used by the dealership then they obviously will warranty it. Just talk to the dealership. I'm going to talk to a few techs and see what they say about this Matic-S

Old 12-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Canadian
I don't care what anyone says. It says it on the car! Use ONLY J-MATIC fluid. Go use matic-s if you believe it will be fine, otherwise stick to what is recommended and what everyone else does. If you use anything else, you will not be able to get your transmission warrantied if anything happens. So whats the point? To save $30?
I'm a believer that requirements change. If matic-s is going to replace matic-j or if there is something better out there which Infiniti would recommend over the original fluid, then why not use it?

Now I did some more research on Infiniti's site. It appears that the M's use matic-s and matic-j can be used as well, at least if my memory is correct in the 07's and 08's. Now if the matic-s is only good for the M's then that's different story.

So, I've also submitted an inquiry to Infiniti and am waiting for a reply.

Your stance is stay with matic-j, period.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
I'm told that www.everythingg35.com has this dipstick.
Thanks for the heads up on this one!

Old 12-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lucky-G
So upon searching I'm finding that only Nissan Matic-J fluid is recommended. Has anyone used anything else, such as RedLine or Royal Purple?

Any problems?
To help clear up some confusion on this topic, (which is spread by possibly less than honest, or unknowledgeable, Nissan dealer service departments), "Nissan Matic-J", transmission fluid is not a brand name, but a performance standard. You can use any transmission fluid you want in your car and still maintain the warranty, as long as the brand of transmission fluid meets the Nissan Matic-J performance standard.

It's just like GM Dexron transmisison fluid, or Ford Mercon transmission fluid, or Chrysler ATF+4 transmission fluid. These all are not brand names but performance standards.

There are many transmission fluids that meet or exceed the Nissan Matic-J performance standard, such as AMSOIL synthetic ATF -

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/de...aspx?zo=349698

Click on, "Transmission Fluid", then, "Synthetic Universal Transmission Fluid", and note the many world wide transmission fluid performance standards it meets or exceeds, including Nissan Matic D, J & K.

Folks, you aren't forced into buying over-priced dealer service department provided fluids for your vehicles. Don't allow yourselves to be bullied, intimidated and lied to!

A good performing synthetic ATF will make for smoother shifting, a longer lasting transmission, quieter operation, a mild increase in fuel economy, more power to the ground/better performance, cooler operating temperatures, superior cold weather performance and lower maintenance costs in safe extended drain intervals.

Last edited by HiTechOilCo; 12-29-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:54 AM
And how much is said AMSOIL wonder-oil?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 AM
there are other fluids that "claim" to work with it, the reason for the different numbers on the trans fluid is becuase they have a different heat rating on them, J is higher than regular dextron mercon, they also say that fluid is backwards compatable but not to go forword.

Personally i don't recommened anything but nissan j matic for the trans flush, i use a BG machine (it works very well and you do notice a difference when the car is done)

i'm not trying to be a dick but it may come out that way people that are saying that its not recommened by nissan/infiniti, has that stopped any of you before doing something else? haha

i recommened a trans flush full flush drain and fill dosn't get everything out never will and you won't notice a difference.

Back to the fluids that claim to work matic-j the only one i'm aware of is the BG fluid, they claim it works i'm too much of a ***** to try it though and i won't try it on a customers car lol

Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The differences between fluids is primarily a different stick-slip friction coefficient required for the new dual lockup clutch in TC. Different ATF will wear clutch material faster and not allow it to last thru internal warranty. But that depends on highway vs city miles when lockup is delayed.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Castrol makes a fluid that says for Nissan J-matic stuff. I am using it in my built trans, so I'll let you know how it works. And it's only like 4.99 a qt. Screw the stealerships!!!

And my FSM says the 5at takes 10-7/8 quarts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Matic-J