Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch Engagement- QUICK QUESTION-HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Engagement- QUICK QUESTION-HELP!

I am a noob to the g35/350z world as I just got my 04 g35 coupe. Here is what I am experiencing. My clutch grabs when I have almost let go of the clutch. I push it all the way in and then when I am letting it out it grabs basically right as I am about to take my foot of the clutch. I have always had BMWs with firm/aggressive clutches that let go in the middle and sprung hard at you. This is very odd to me as I feel like I can shift gears with barely pushing the clutch in much at all. Do I need to do the DIY for adjusting the rod or should I use the stopper with nickles DIY or what? Please explain and thanks so much-Patrick

Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patrick, remember that even though these cars have adjustment for the pedal (this affects the distance of the pedal from the floor) it does not affect the percentage of release until engagement. Let me clarify this...if your clutch releases at the top of the pedal travel this will not be changed by the pedal adjustment.

Having a high pedal release is generally evidence of a disc that is reaching the end of its life expectency. As the disc wears the diaphragm fingers will raise to compensate for wear. This causes the engagement point to get higher. I have seen this on my personal car, an o5 G35, and as a result I will be installing a new clutch shortly. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Old 01-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Patrick, remember that even though these cars have adjustment for the pedal (this affects the distance of the pedal from the floor) it does not affect the percentage of release until engagement. Let me clarify this...if your clutch releases at the top of the pedal travel this will not be changed by the pedal adjustment.

Having a high pedal release is generally evidence of a disc that is reaching the end of its life expectency. As the disc wears the diaphragm fingers will raise to compensate for wear. This causes the engagement point to get higher. I have seen this on my personal car, an o5 G35, and as a result I will be installing a new clutch shortly. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
+1. My G's clutch engagement point right now is right about the middle of the pedal travel. My previous Maxima--had to replace the clutch because it started slipping, and the engagement point became really high.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya I understand but the clutch feels strong with no signs of slipping. It doesn't make any noise at all. I put it in fourth and slowly let out the clutch and it didn't stall just started rolling forward. I thought this meant there was enough clutch left.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Kenn, Did the car roll because you were on an incline or decline? Typically, if you can put it in a high gear and let the pedal out and the car doesn't stall this is evidence that the clutch is worn and thus not able to hold properly.