Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

I Absolutely HATE this transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Agent F
Will they look at the same problem if i'm only under powertrain warranty, or is this my stupid misconception that the tranny should be covered??
Although a few have had their transmissions replaced, the synchros and gears are considered wear parts, so warranties normally won't cover the repairs. The only reason you'd get that fixed under warranty is if there is a defect from the factory.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually go 1st - 3rd - 5th - 6th in my suburban driving, which is plenty of red lights on a road where its 35mph - 40mph and thick, flowing traffic. I only use 2nd if I'm rolling through stop signs (no cop, no stop), or making right hand turns at red lights. 1st - 3rd just feels so much smoother. I usually shift right at 2200 rpms. Like I said, the traffic is pretty thick but flows.

Does anyone else do this? Am I increasing wear on my car by shifting this way?

Old 01-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by poonATTACK
Does anyone else do this? Am I increasing wear on my car by shifting this way?
I do it sometimes when im in traffic like you, i don't think it does anything but i could be wrong.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:39 PM
**** Happen

Old 01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
nogeeme you described my g haha. i was sposed to go on a drive with a tech at infiniti of mission viejo for grinding in 2nd hopefully being my synchro's. but i havent gone yet. i'll probably go soon if not i'll try riverside inifiniti i guess. i have a new clutch ready but i still think its my synchros. so i want to give it a shot before i throw a new clutch in.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Try Another Dealer but this time...

My 05 6mt did exactly what yours is doing and it was bad synchros. Do a synchro search on this forum and you'll see its defective synchros, not your driving and the dealers know it and will repair under warranty as they did for me. By the way, they had to throw in a new tranny to fix the synchros and for 5 months not a single grind and drives beautifully!

I know it's very frustrating not having your prize work as promised, it's a sweet machine when repaired and driven properly. Best not unload frustration on mechanics and service advisors - I've been nice and 2 months after the tranny my clutch was slipping (my theory throw out bearing related to the synchros) and they did that under warranty too!

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:56 PM
SVH
Originally Posted by GboyVA
Best not unload frustration on mechanics and service advisors - I've been nice and 2 months after the tranny my clutch was slipping (my theory throw out bearing related to the synchros) and they did that under warranty too!

Good luck!
Sage advice right there. Despite how pissed you may be about your situation, do not be a ******** to the service people. It's a great way for them to shutdown and not want to help you.

Sonny

Old 01-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any suggestions on how I could convince them to look at my synchros under my powertrain warranty, and not tell me to go F*ck myself, cuz I def know it's not my driving and would like having my tranny looked at b4 the entire warranty is done.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:23 PM
infiniti will reapir your tranny, you need to get serious with them. may even need to throw out the option of legal response. they replaced my tranny, after going round a few times. they finally admitted that the syncros were bad and needed to be replaced. instead of repairing they replaced the tranny and clutch.. it did take some pushing on my part though.. they told me they had never had anyone complain of this problem before, but I already knew better.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Learned That Here Too

Yep position yourself as confident with knowledge in a nice way that you demonstrate you know what the dealer certainly already knows. Although now with current economy car sales up front way down in the back from dealer standpoint they have to double repair margins on getting work from you warranty or not in order to have cash float to make payroll. This goes for any grey area - non TSB problems that you only get from other drivers. Learned about the transmission issues here before grinding started & went to them right away with getting them to fix their proven manufacturing defect - with style presentation of facts in a calm manner they can't argue & Infiniti pays. Now sorry it's Friday night on the east coast & I got to go for a drive!

Old 01-31-2009, 04:47 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Once you find it you will Love it!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:35 AM
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
call infiniti consumer affairs and file a complaint about the dealership that denied service. get it replaced under warranty and you're done.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Ok you're knowledgeable (driver member) you understand it's an issue with the synchros and they're under warranty. Approach the service manager with a
cool head and confidence, let him know your car isn't drivable with this
trans and it's terrible synchros....it's a warranty issue and you'd like it fixed. Ya just gotta be and confident....
Gary

Old 01-31-2009, 03:31 PM
I agree, they seem to respect those that play their game. Don't make it obvious that you know everything that they do, but sell them the reasoning why it isn't right for you the customer and how it's impacting you (very difficult to drive in traffic and horrible noises, smoke, whatever) and also let them know that you know just a little bit, seems to work better than either playing stupid or playing like a know it all. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 PM
It's been a while since I last replied. I visited Peninsula Infiniti a few weeks ago and got the same run around. I'm going to my local dealership one last time before I call corporate.

By the way, what do you guys suggest I tell the mechanic when he supposedly can't replicate the issues? He can't drive my car smoothly, and I still hear the gear crunching into 2nd but he says this is all normal sounds?

I hope this gets fixed soon, with this transmission driving feels more and more like a chore each day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Absolutely HATE this transmission