Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

I Absolutely HATE this transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nogeeme
Well it's been a few days since I dropped the car off. Missed a call from them today, so I might get my car back soon, but I don't know if they fixed anything. If you drive the car harder it makes sense that it becomes smoother, but there shouldn't be any reason for it to become worse to drive when you don't push the car.

Updates to come.
maybe it is a conspiracy with the police to attract more potential speeding tickets?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
^^ +1 hehe

Old 03-14-2009, 05:42 PM
UPDATE:

Got my car back a few days ago with a new transmission, clutch, and flywheel. It shifts fine, but it feels the same as before. The "normal" notchy feeling is still there, and it's just as noisy as ever. But it shifts fine. From what I feel in my new transmission,and from what I've read, the transmissions in the G35 and 350z are simply poorly designed. I feel like I've bought a sports car, rather than a luxury touring car because of how unsmooth the drivetrain is.

This is what the technicians found:
Input Shaft Scored, Cause Pilot Bearing to Stick
Flywheel hotspots

Throughout this whole crazy ordeal Beshoff Infiniti has given me 100% customer satisfaction. Not only because I've gotten what I've wanted in the end, but because of excellent, friendly, and prompt service. If you talk to either Brian or Bernardo, you'll find out for yourself who the best is in the industry. They treat all their customers with respect, and when I picked up my car there was another G getting a replacement transmission. They understand the problems with these cars, and don't try to give you the run around unlike Frontier Infiniti or Peninsula Infiniti. Overall, a truly wonderful experience, and I plan on all my service work being done there. Thank-you Beshoff Infiniti, you have a loyal customer for life.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:59 PM
thats how i feel going from 1 to 2
i brought it into my dealership and they didnt allow me to ride with the person testing my car
and they came back and just said they couldnt duplicate the problem
bunch of horse ****

Old 03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
I actually like the sports feeling of the 6MT, if I didn't liek it I would've bought an automatic. I do hear you about the tranny being loud when it's not engaged a little bit annoying and it makes the car feel cheap but Love that my clutch grips tight and spins the wheels no prob.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Talking

UPDATE:

I brought my car in 3/12 (two thursdays ago). I drove with the service writer and he noticed the sound right away. We at first figured maybe it is exhaust rattle or some form of exhaust noise potentially. Also I brought up the clutch chatter I was hearing excessivly (extremly prominent when it was rainy out...) of course it was the first sunny day for a while when I brought it in and the chatter almost went away fully a few blocks away. It did happen a bit and he took note of it.

the following Monday I hear back. there were no issues anywhere with the exhaust, and turns out they beleive the noise is coming from internal bearing (or something, the guy wasn't sure) in the new transmission they just put in and had a new one on order. Also said they were going to be replacing the clutch slave cylinder due to the clutch sticking a bit, which may or may not have been the reason for the chatter.

I then hear back last Friday that the new trans is in, and they also replaced the pressure plate at dealer cost supposedly (i originally had all new clutch setup put in too) just as a precaution in case the slave cylinder effected it any at all too, again could of lead to the clutch chatter being excessive. Mentioned that everything seemed to be fixed from the preliminary test drives. Yesterday everything checks out and I pick it up.

It doesn't make the overly loud gear/diesel like noise anymore it sounds just like when I first got the car. In fact the shifts seem smoother than the other trans was as well. This made me think the last trans had an issue from the beginning since the shifts where very stiff and knotchy whereas this one shifts relatively smoothly now.

It is so nice having a car that doesn't sound like it is tearing itself apart and low rpm. here is to hoping it stays that way! Anyone knows what is the trans break-in time? I didn't have my last one long enough to even find out.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Old thread but lots of info. I bought my 2007 G35 used and it had a brand new clutch(and newer V2 motor). This is my second G35. My first was a 2003.5 6mt sedan. Both cars shift similar in respect to what gears are notchy and both transmission are/were noisy, with flywheel chatter in 1st gear being the most apparent when driving at slower speeds. However, when launched and driven aggressively, both cars shift/shifted through the gears smoothly and I have never grinded a gear in either car.

I thought that when I bought my current 2007 G35, that the transmission would have been more "civil" in its performance by now. But alas, nothing has changed and the only way to really enjoy this car is to drive it fast and shift fast just like my old G35 sedan. Thankfully I don't have to drive in traffic anymore. Its nothing like my IS300. But if I wanted smooth and slow, I would have kept my IS300 = ). I think overall though, the G is a great car. I never had a single issue with my old G35 sedan's transmission, it was just stiff and notchy by nature, which it seems like many people on here interpret this feel as "a bad transmission". I drove two other G35 6mts and they both felt exactly the same, notchy and stiff with lots of chatter in 1st gear.

G37 6mt seems a bit smoother, but its still notchy. I also did not notice the flywheel chatter in the G37 which, in my opinion, is the most annoying thing about the G35 6mt.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:35 PM
^^ definitely true. Many write the tranny off as a crappy one because of the noise. Its definitely not the strongest or the best out there, but its pretty damn good.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 AM
is it all the 6mt tranny that have these problems?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Inspired
is it all the 6mt tranny that have these problems?
I would classify it more like a trait than a problem, but yes, they are all notchy make noises.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:44 AM
I have to agree with djamps that the notchy feeling of 1st and 2nd is a trait for the G tranny. If you don't shift it fast the tranny will act like you're a MT noob. Maybe a short shifter will help with the shifter swing to reduce the notchy feeling. I installed Rogue Engineering short shifter 2 weeks after owning the car and I must say it is much smoother than the stock shifter. Besides if you have 6MT G you must have a shorter shifter IMO

P.S. I got this G exactly 35 days ago.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:17 PM
yup, quit driving like a n00b and it'll respond accordingly

Old 06-23-2009, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by Glex25
The only issue I have with the Nissan transmission is the 1-2 shift.
It feels like you have to do a V pattern to get into second correctly
if not then it feels like your hitting something that shouldn't be there
and halts your progress from speed shifting 1-2
Hell if it makes you feel better, I learned to drive on mine and my clutch is Fed!! It didnt help that the tires were destroyed when I bought it I got a nice discount and I got to purchase what I wanted, not someones mistake of staying with the stock bridgestones....those suckers are soooo noisy

I talked to my dealership and they said just to keep goin on it until ya cant anymore....which kinda scares me, but yea, mine is making a lot of noise too, which for being my first stick I'm like whatever, lets go lol. I'm planning to get a new clutch and maybe flywheel next spring after storage. But mine is making some chattering too at low RPMs. Oh well, not a big deal, I've added some extra power so I expected it. But there isnt much you can do, just get it looked at and rebuilt or replace some stuff.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=dofu;3853719]First off, Honda's transmissions are the best, period. No other auto manufacturer can make a better tranny in those price ranges.

idk about that my step dads 2004 acura TL has a ****ty *** tranny..if you go on the forum they talk about it and how they cant beleive honda built this tranny..thats just one case though..i personally like nissan/infiniti over honda/acura

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Absolutely HATE this transmission