Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

I Absolutely HATE this transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Absolutely HATE this transmission

I have a 06 6mt. It's difficult to get into 1st, 2nd, and even 5th sometimes. When it does get into gear it grinds. The clutch is fully depressed, and when I try and shift slowly ( going so slow as to find the gate ) it STILL GRINDS. The engagements are terrible! It lurches forward when engaging, but ONLY in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th.

Some things which you should know:
-Sometimes it shifts fine. When it does, strangely, there's no notchiness.
-When it is cold it grinds. When it is hot it grinds. Not temperature related.
-It takes a split second for the gear to engage.
-Through the shift ****, I can physically feel the gear trying to mesh together when shifting!! (1st to 2nd)
-I've driven 3 manual cars previous to this.
-Although many on this forum loves to bash Honda's, my experience with their transmissions are infinitely better.
-I will not buy that garbage about how this is a high performance vehicle. You've got to be kidding me, I've owned an M. Evolution 8, and an H. S2000. The G35 when compared to those two is a touring car.
-Even though this transmission isn't too bad when it comes to shift travel, and overall tightness ( aka not a pile of mush like most MT cars ). All of that is null and void when the transmission GRINDS.

Why I am pissed off:
-I'm currently financing this car at a rate of $412 a month, for a total of $27,200. Why oh why did I choose a G35.
-A friend of mine owns a 1991 Nissan 240sx. Another friend owns a Toyota pick-up from the early 90's. While another friend owns a 2005 350z. Guess who has transmission issues. Yes, both the driver of the Z and yours truly.
-I look like a jackass driving this car around because of the bull**** engagements.
-Rattly @ss flywheel. ( I know I will have to live with this )
-Sh*tty high engaging clutch. ( Same as above )
-Notchy gears that make it seem as though there are rocks inside of the trans. ( Same as above )
-75% of the shifts from 1st to 2nd grind. ( UNACCEPTABLE!!! )
-Frontier Infiniti of Stevens Creek, San Jose, CA - REFUSES to fix the problem. They say there is none. When riding with the mech (old, asian, REFUSE SERVICE FROM THIS GUY), he burned the clutch a few times, grinded every time he shifted from 1st to 2nd. Yet they tell me that it's great. Although Mike, an actually helpful service advisor, asked if I wanted to compare with another vehicle on the lot, but of course the mech completely disagrees and does not have an answer when asked why? I will try to get the mechanic's name so others will know to stay away. If by some coincidence you are on this forum, and you are reading this, so help me God, I will destroy you.

I can see that this forum, like any other, has either intelligent/mature/insightful members or children. Please be the first when replying.
**also please do not reply if you're answer is the following:
"I have xxx,xxx amount of miles, and my transmission is fine"
That does not help at all. Thank-you.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
dont expect too many super nice answers when you respond like a totally asswipe at the end of your post.

i bought my car from frontier infiniti, but havent had any service done there and no problems with them in that respect. BUT i have heard on this forum about terrible service so you might want to try another dealer (infiniti or nissan).

also you might be interested in the clutch remedy fix (search it).

it sounds like you need to try a different dealership, i do not have the grinding problems nor some of the other problems you are experiencing.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by nogeeme
-Although many on this forum loves to bash Honda's, my experience with their transmissions are infinitely better.
-I will not buy that garbage about how this is a high performance vehicle. You've got to be kidding me, I've owned an M. Evolution 8, and an H. S2000. The G35 when compared to those two is a touring car.

-Frontier Infiniti of Stevens Creek, San Jose, CA - REFUSES to fix the problem.

First off, Honda's transmissions are the best, period. No other auto manufacturer can make a better tranny in those price ranges.

Second, the G is a touring car... hence the Japanese name "Skyline 350GT" The high performance version is the GTR, which obviously isn't a Skyline chassis anymore. In case someone reading this does not understand, the G35 is to the GTR as the Lancer is to EVOs.

If you go to Frontier, look for Sonny, if he's even there still. He has a G himself and knows the problems well. Otherwise, I don't like that place at all. Even their parts department sucks... they tried to charge me almost $50 for a f*cking rubber hose that's listed for $10...

Most of your other cars have been inline fours... most 6+ cylinders won't have a manual shifter that nice. Other cars with bigger motors like the M5 shifts very nicely, but IMO, the shifter feels very mushy (I can't comment on many others since I haven't ever driven them in factory form). The only other cars I can think of with a shifter that feels as nice as the cars in your list costs 6 figures.

And I don't care what year your car is, if your tranny grinds, it needs to be rebuilt. I can't say whether it's a manufacturer's issue, or the way you drive your car (or maybe the previous owner), but your synchros are worn out and your gears are probably starting to wear away too. If the problem doesn't get fixed, it'll just get worse over time.

Last edited by dofu; 01-28-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
-I look like a jackass driving this car around because of the bull**** engagements.

I can see that this forum, like any other, has either intelligent/mature/insightful members or children. Please be the first when replying.

Thanks to the way you ended your post, you also now look like a jackass on this forum.....

anyway, your synchros are bad

Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 AM
JBF
Received 686 Likes on 365 Posts
^ +11111

Old 01-28-2009, 06:12 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by rob40wilson03
Thanks to the way you ended your post, you also now look like a jackass on this forum.....
He might sound like an *ss with the way he ended his post, but the way newbs are posting on these forums these days, IMO it's pretty understandable (I'm not talking about people new to the forum either).

Use the search button sometime... you'll see tons of threads that should be good turned into useless bs with posts like what I quoted...

Old 01-28-2009, 06:36 AM
It's too bad there aren't any resources that one could use to do some research, prior to purchasing a new car.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 68,000 miles and my transmission is fine....

You bought a used one with a busted tranny....

Last edited by kvangil; 01-28-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
++1 on XET, DOFU, ROB. I'm sorry for the OP that having the issue but not all the cars is perfect. Even if you get a spanking new M5 you still have problem, or go cheaper with the Acura TL you still have tranny issue on some of them. Not good starts for a new member to the forum, plus to that people don’t like members that say "I drove this, I drove that before with no issue, but tons with this one" shouldn't you supposed to test drive the car before you purchased?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 AM
im in the same boat as this guy but not as bad...my 5th gear grinds many times even going slowly to not grind it will grind..1st to second feels horrible at times and the flywheel is loud as ****. So far on off the worst trannys ive had..previous cars have been an 03 stang gt, 2 audi a4 1.8ts and an 01 S4..just put 20s on it and now it feels worse..but that was expected.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
^ uhhh you got 03 Stang GT and 01 S4 but u get 03 G after? With compaints why you still have thumb up in ur sig? hehehe

Old 01-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Why I am pissed off:
-I'm currently financing this car at a rate of $412 a month, for a total of $27,200. Why oh why did I choose a G35.
-A friend of mine owns a 1991 Nissan 240sx. Another friend owns a Toyota pick-up from the early 90's. While another friend owns a 2005 350z. Guess who has transmission issues. Yes, both the driver of the Z and yours truly.
-Sh*tty high engaging clutch. ( Same as above )
-Notchy gears that make it seem as though there are rocks inside of the trans. ( Same as above )
-75% of the shifts from 1st to 2nd grind. ( UNACCEPTABLE!!! )
-Frontier Infiniti of Stevens Creek, San Jose, CA - REFUSES to fix the problem. They say there is none. When riding with the mech (old, asian, REFUSE SERVICE FROM THIS GUY), he burned the clutch a few times, grinded every time he shifted from 1st to 2nd. Yet they tell me that it's great. Although Mike, an actually helpful service advisor, asked if I wanted to compare with another vehicle on the lot, but of course the mech completely disagrees and does not have an answer when asked why? I will try to get the mechanic's name so others will know to stay away. If by some coincidence you are on this forum, and you are reading this, so help me God, I will destroy you.

I don't quite understand what type of positive feedback you're looking for in your post. If you search, you'll find there are many other people with the flywheel rattle and relatively difficult clutch engagement (when compared to a Honda.) You obviously didn't do your due diligence when choosing to purchase this car when saying things like "I'm currently financing this car at a rate of $412 a month, for a total of $27,200." Let me guess, they forced you to sign on the dotted line before you test-drove it?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
its nice to vent on here isnt it !? dont like the car ? whats stopping u from trading it in and getting a honda that you like so much better ? dew it man ! trade it

Old 01-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
push the clutch in harder

Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
The only issue I have with the Nissan transmission is the 1-2 shift.
It feels like you have to do a V pattern to get into second correctly
if not then it feels like your hitting something that shouldn't be there
and halts your progress from speed shifting 1-2

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Absolutely HATE this transmission