Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch Pedal Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch Pedal Problem

I have had this happen on 3 separate occasions. When shifting gears, the clutch engages, but the pedal only seems to partially return, i.e. it is not 100% up. I typically shift to neutral and pump the clutch a couple of times and it remedies itself. I am not sure if this has any bearing, but when it has occured it has typically been on a very hot day.

I brought to shop and they could not duplicate. They asked me to bring it by the next time it happens and if possible do not try to get it to fix itself. This is very strange. I have driven many sticks in my lifetime and have never experienced this. Any body else have this happen?

Thx.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an 05 and its doing the same thing. dealer said they need to see the problem but since it only happens once in a while i took a video of what it was doing from my cell. i then brought it back to dealer so he can see that pedal was sticking. they then replace my clutch master cyliner.lets see if that fixes the problem.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
it's most likely the slave cylinder. it's a known issue. $75 if out of warranty.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 PM
thanks hound138.

Do you know any place where the known issue is documented. that would sure be great if I could take it to the dealer and reference any documents.

thanks.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:06 PM
theres no tsb on it.but ill let you know in a few days if a new clutch master solved the problem.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:40 PM
or you can try doing a complete flush of the clutch system - i did a flush and bleeding and it went away ..

Old 05-03-2009, 03:31 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by stingray1211
or you can try doing a complete flush of the clutch system - i did a flush and bleeding and it went away ..
yup, air trapped in the lines. I've done a few clutch fluid flushes and they usually seem to resolve the problem.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

LMAO.. JK.. GOOD LUCK GETTING IT FIXED BRO!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Stickey Clutch....=(

Has to be the clutch master cylinder, that happned twice with my Z. Replacement will fix the issue....
Gary

Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Replace the clutch master cylinder not the slave. The masters the one that controls pressure in the clutch line, low pressure = sticky clutch pedal.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks

Really appreciate the feedback. I gonna do what one of the members did and photograph it with my phone the next time it happens and then get master cylinder replaced along with flush etc...

Old 05-04-2009, 08:11 PM
you should also adjust the clutch pedal switches.they should be close enuff to depress the contacts but not touching the switch itself

Old 05-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This has happened to me as well. The first time it happened, 90 degrees and an uphill stop and go situation, 30 days after I purchased my 07 G. I was laughing cuz I was smelling someone's clutch burning up. Then I realized that I was the duff.
I had no clutch pressure which caused the clutch to seize and burn, the clutch was then replaced by the dealer. 20K miles later, it's 90 degrees outside and I'm in 5mph stop and go traffic going over the local mountains here in CA and I lose my clutch pressure again. It's down to the floor and just enough clutch left to barely shift.
I went to the dealer, explained what had happened and tied this experience back to the clutch replacement. They wanted to keep my car and drive it to replicate the problem. I told them that it will be impossible to do so because of the conditions that need to be present to make it happen. Luckily, they listened and last week they replaced my master cylinder and the slave cylinder. Is it fixed?? Don't know until I can replicate the driving conditions. The clutch pedal does feel a bit stiffer and better so I hope that it's fixed.
I could not find a technical bulletin about this problem and I know that the dealer will probably think that you're nuts with this complaint. Maybe I can get my CS guy to talk with yours. PM me if you want his POC information.
Good Luck with the fix.. I thought that this problem was just my car, but I guess not.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Premier Member

Same thing happens to my 05 when I am stuck in stop and go traffic jams.
Once the car has had time to sit, the pedal returns to normal.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:13 AM
I have an 05 and this problem surfaced a few years ago. I flushed the system and it worked ok for a year but then returned. I suspect that there is some moisture getting into the hydraulic fluid and boiling at high ambient temperatures since it only happens above 90 degrees in stop and go traffic. I have found that while not a complete fix, it is easy enough for me to just flush the hydraulic fluid in the car each spring and i am go to go until next spring.

Carl.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Problem