Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

No more Traction Control!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35IRLracer
Yeah, that makes more sense to me, and then you wouldn't need an extra switch. Does anyone know how to do this?
I am actually looking into this. It might be possible. It was just easier to run the wires to the center console and add a new switch for this test run.

I just inspected the factory VDC switch and it is a normally closed switch which means that it will not function like mine is intended. I will explore this option further though as it would be the optimal solution.

Last edited by Trbulnt; 07-13-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Should be able to wire up a relay to the VDC switch and kill it all. With a relay it doesn't matter what state the switch rest at and it will isolate the two circuits.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by ClearBra_Guy
Should be able to wire up a relay to the VDC switch and kill it all. With a relay it doesn't matter what state the switch rest at and it will isolate the two circuits.
This is correct and was the route I was going to look into. I just need to verify where the wires go to that are attached to the VDC switch. By my current method the ABS is still functional. I need to verify that that will remain true by hacking into the VDC switch.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Trbulnt
This is correct and was the route I was going to look into. I just need to verify where the wires go to that are attached to the VDC switch. By my current method the ABS is still functional. I need to verify that that will remain true by hacking into the VDC switch.
Everything should stay the same since its just working as a switch to trigger the relay. Pretty much the same set up as the posted mod with a smarter way of doing it. Nothing should change as long as its wired properly. Hell... I would do it tomorrow if I had the info. I guess being a pro mobile electronics installer for the past 14 years has its perks. That would be a first.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
The smaller plastic buttons may be able to mount so pushing the VDC also pushes the YAW off button.

You could always go for a total stealth install, keeping it in the center console, and make it so that when you push the shift **** down and move it left instead of right towards the reverse gear, it pushes the button. Mount it in such a way that it won't trip when the **** is pushed left and not pushed down.

You may have to go with a microswitch instead of the pushbutton here, but there's plenty of those that'll also work.

Like this:
http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1883.html

or this:
http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1882.html

You can bend the roller arm/lever so that it needs only a small amount of pressure to switch from closed circuit side (normal yaw control) and open circuit microswitch pressed (nothing on the second pole of the double-throw microswitch).

With the shifter boot temporarily removed, it shouldn't be hard to find a place that the linkage will press the microswitch when you press both down and left, but never under any other circumstances.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 07-14-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:23 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I think I have a couple of the roller microswitches laying around. I'll see if there's a clean spot to mount it for this purpose.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
I think I have a couple of the roller microswitches laying around. I'll see if there's a clean spot to mount it for this purpose.
I tried that route also. I wanted to be able to press the ash tray (since I am a non-smoker) and have it press the micro-switch. Some great ideas in this thread! Keep em coming.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I use the ash-tray to hold my MP3 player's dock, and the secret shifter move just seems to be a very badass move to disable it...

Old 07-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I checked out the area under the stick-shift boot.

I did a mock-up with a zip-tie and microswitch to show where the parts can be placed to line up. This clears all the leather inside with parts in these locations.

Shifter in neutral position:

Shifter pressed down and left:

Now, obviously, this requires something more rigid than a zip-tie, and you must push left, THEN down, or it hits the side of the switch, doing nothing.

There may be a better place to put down with the linkage, under the rubber boot that's underneath the insulation, but I wasn't up to disassembling that much today.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 AM
I like it!! See I don't have that option with my 5AT shifter. I really like my location in the center console as it is easy to reach and out of site to the naked eye.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:35 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yes, once again, 5ATs get the raw end of the deal.

There's no real excess positions in that...

Wait...!!!DOMO

You could put the microswitch in the "Shift Lock" slot, just a slight modification so it'll push in a little bit, and you're in business.

Yeah, you'll lose the shift lock accessibility by popping a key in the hole, but that's accessible by popping the shifter plate out anyway.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
subscribed

Old 08-29-2009, 01:44 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
on my 06 coupe, the 4way flashers button is right next to the shifter. so i plan to wire the yaw power wire to that switch in addition to the 4 way flashers. that way when i want the vdc completely off, i can just hit that button twice real fast. this should work since the vdc wont become active again until i restart the engine. anyone see a problem with this? im trying to get around having an extra switch in the car, and since i could just hit the flashers button twice really fast, the flashers would only blink once. potential problems?

edit: im dumb, this wont work cause that switch is normally open. so i would have to put my flashers on for the vdc to work. ill fig something else out

Last edited by MikeGrote; 08-29-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My apologies for resurrecting this thread but I found it very informative and just had another question regarding this setup. I'm hoping the OP will chime in with how it's working out and with an answer to my question....which is, when you disable the yaw sensor with this mod, does the VDC light come on like it does when you turn the VDC off? If so, I'm assuming the VDC and TCS (traction control system) are both off. See, in my Altima, the slip light was part of the TCS system. You could disable the TCS by the push of a button and this would also disable the slip light and all that was associated with that light. On the G, they seem to be 2 separate systems.....