Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Installed F1 Racing Stage 1 clutch and flywheel combo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Installed F1 Racing Stage 1 clutch and flywheel combo

Not to go into details, but had to replace clutch/flywheel in shortest amount of time and as cheap as I could.
I went with F1 Racing Stage 1 and chromoly flywheel combo from Gripforce. Read good and bad stories about F1 clutches and the company.Installation was done by Infiniti dealership, who positively commented on workmanship of parts.
So far I like the set up(after about 100 km of city driving)
-Pedal is bit softer than stock
-Clutch engages very smoothly and quietly(no feedback, chatter or vibration)
-Flywheel makes noise only when rpms are dropped below optimum-for example when you are trying to go slowly over the speedbump in second gear(first would be more approprate). No noise during normal shifting.
-I do notice that car is much "lighter on its feet", more responsive. I can cruise and get decent acceleration at 1500 rpm in 6th gear.
-There's overall change in engine/exhaust note. I cannot quite explain it, but it is different, more "racey". Is it because of reduced load on crankshaft?

I will do a follow up review in a while.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much did infiniti charge for labor. Im in the same boat and looking for pricing.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I didn't pay anything for installation-clutch failed while in posession fo Infiniti(for unrelated matter).
Call around and ask..good independent mechanic can handle this job too.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:49 PM
so wats the update on this

Old 09-23-2009, 11:59 PM
For now I'd say hold off your purchase of this combo.
I am getting vibration at anything above 60 km/h, but cannot blame it on flywheel-at least yet)-car vibrates on the roll even with engine off(rpm are zero, so is rotation of flywheel). But when I clutch in on the roll and rpm drops to idle, I get very big reduction in vibration through shifter.
My front tires are very worn and they could be causing it..I am switching to winters in a month or so and will post follow up. Could be a combination of 2 problems. I understand that flywheel may cause some vibartion, but not washboard hum through entire car!
Clutch works fine after ~1200 km and 4 autocross runs.
Oh, supplier ignored my email describing the above issue.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:51 PM
oh i see appreciate the heads up

Old 01-23-2010, 12:25 PM
sorry to bring this back to life... but any update on the clutch? i was looking to get one just to try it out... i see a lot of good reviews from other car forums... with a few bad ones here and there... wanted to see how the clutch kit was on the g35... i'm more concerned about the clutch kit.. i'm still debating on if i really want a lightened flywheel

Old 01-23-2010, 01:16 PM
I will probably use it for my next one on the G35...had no issues after a year in a 400rwhp 240sx (built SR20DET). WAY smoother than my old OS Giken triple plate that I used before it...and a ton cheaper to replace if something goes out. 90% of all clutch issues are from crappy installation (didn't resurface/replace flywheel, dirt/grease on parts, misaligned parts, etc.).

Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 AM
ok cool... i'll order that this week... and hopefully get it installed within a few weeks.. lol

Old 01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
I took car to another mechanic. She(yes, it was a girl) believes it is an improper installation, uneven break-in hence the vibration. I had clutch stench for couple of weeks from install-so it was probably getting fu---ed up.
I have trouble shifting out of neutral and clutch engagement point is pretty high for new clutch now(it was OK at the beginning)
I will go with Clutchmasters Stage I and Nismo FW. Since I will be paying more than $500 in labour I want to be sure that crappy parts factor is out of the picture.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:37 PM
i ordered my f1 the other day... should be here feb 1st... hopefully get it installed within a week or two... i'll keep this thread updated on how it feels and what not...

Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
any updates?

The last time my tranny was out i got their oem exedy with the f1 fly wheel.

no complaints there, and the new fly does what a light fly will do.....
and the exedy is working fine.

my trannys comming off again, so i was thinking about getting another clutch but their beefier stage 1/2 is cheap as dirt...

can anyone else throw their 2 cents in?

Old 02-27-2010, 10:39 AM
haven't had a chance to put it in yet.... kinda waiting until winter is over... its hard enough to drive with all this snow let alone with a new clutch as well... i'll keep this thread updated

Old 03-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I am having problems with shifting from stop(all gears) after clutch heats up. No hydraylic leaks, clutch system is bled, put Motul in tranny-no change.
In a week or 2 I will put new clutch in(I got Excedy racing stage 1) and new pivot ball.
I went to different shop,they specialize in Nissans and even support(or actualy run?) in touring series. Vibration is due to worn out joints on propshaft, not clutch.
So I am replacing everything-clutch, flywheel(probably nothing is wrong with it) and propshaft. Will run me a nice chunk of cash, but I want normal driving car back!
I will keep you posted and take pictures of parts taken out.
Now, adding to the insult, some stupid cow in minivan rear ended me. I will have new rear bumper and taillight.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
why did u get the excedy stage 1 over getting another gripforce stage 1?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Installed F1 Racing Stage 1 clutch and flywheel combo