Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Transmission Slip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Slip

I have an '04 Sedan. I've noticed lately that there seems to be a bit of a slip, almost like a jerk or bump, in the transmission. It is so slight that I thought it was a bump in the road the first few times it happened. But then I started looking for it and noticed it more often. It happens most often between 40-45 mph, but has occasionally happened at other speeds. It doesn't happen frequently, but enough to concern me. Also, it doesn't happen while I'm accelerating. It happens when I'm holding my speed. When I first noticed it, I thought that it could be because I let off the accelerator and then got back on it - almost like it's teetering between my foot being on and off the pedal. But, I've determined that that's not it. I've tried to recreate the problem, but haven't been successful. It seems to be random. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 08-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Transmission Slip

It might be the T/C lockup. Do the revs drop when it happens? Keep us posted.

'04 G35X Graphite/graphite, NAV, wood, premium

Old 08-24-2004, 02:04 PM

You know, now that you mention the TC, maybe that is all this is, my Mustang GT AT did it, way more than the G, but now that I think back to that car, it is very similar, when I first got my GT, I thought the thing was always downshifting (gear hunting), interesting.....

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 08-24-2004, 04:06 PM

rlanxton,

I have the exact same thing.

only happens when you are cruising between 40-50mph rpm between 1800-2200
It is gone before you know it. I haev experienced it about 5 or 6 times in last 4 months so its not very repeatable.

I had a loaner car for 4 days and it happened on it too.
Mine is a 2003.5.

There are a couple of threads on this issue and it seems a number of people have expereinced that same thing and have no fix as of yet. So if it makes you feel any better its common to many of us.

Although if anyone knows the fix please let us know
Thanks

2003 G35 Black Sedan

Old 08-24-2004, 09:22 PM

I also have the same problem! "only happens when you are cruising between 40-50mph rpm between 1800-2200"
That perfectly sums it up.
Has anyone notified the dealer about this? I'm pretty sure its hard to "duplicate the problem"!

03.5s/Brillant Silver/Premium/Sport/Winter Pkg

Old 08-25-2004, 10:39 AM

I've experienced the same thing. During the last service I mentioned it to the service advisor. He said they would take a look. Although they didn't mention anything specific in reference to the problem when I picked it up, I haven't had it happen since (been about 45 days - 1300 miles).

Old 08-25-2004, 11:00 AM

I have the same issue and I did manage to recreate it. Its seem to be a transmission behavior issue. When I hold the gas at a constant pressure for relaxed driving the trans don't like to be in second and the fourth. It'll rev up to 3500 in the 1st and go in & out of second to the third right the way and the samething for the forth. If you happen to try to give it a little more gas at the second when it goes into the third, you'll experience this slip issue. Its seem to go away if I try to drive it harder to change the behavior of the trans. I feel like this only happen to people who drive their G in a more relax way. Maybe it just telling you to rev it up and drive the way it is design to do.

To correct this is to drive it harder so it'll try to stay in 2nd longer or just use Tiptronic at local. That's what I'm starting to do right now, so I won't paranoid about the trans. Its a perfect drive when I use tip tronic. Maybe I should of stick with my original plan and get the stick at the beginning but I need the extra hand to hold my cellphone and pick my kits toy in the back seat.

~ GT-R the Ultimate Driving Machine ~
- 2004 G35 Ivory Pearl/Black Leather
- Auto/Nav/Premium/Sports/Aero
- 6 wire grounding kit

Old 09-23-2004, 04:27 PM

I took my car in last week for the 15k mile service. I asked the service manager if anyone had complained about this problem. He started describing the problem in exact detail and mentioned that an Infiniti Tech's girlfriend was having a similar problem with her G Sedan and the Tech drove it awhile and agreed. They did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that it was the hydralic motor mounts making a sudden adjustment. I don't know enough to know if that makes sense, but that's the story I got.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:09 PM

this seems plausible as I don't remember change in rpm when this quick jerk happens. At first thought seem to be the transmission.
A mount may do it too but where and why do they adjust especially when you are cruising at a steady speed.

rlanxton,
can you find out more details, any fix
thanks

2003 G35 Black Sedan

Old 09-24-2004, 01:41 AM

03 Sedan here,and yeah, I get the tranny slip too.....it feels like it slips into neutral for just a second or so - usually on the same roads and at the same speed - around 35-45 mph....even worse is the shudder I get on the 2nd to 3rd gear shift when under 3/4 to full accelleration. I am going in for my 30,000 mile service tomorrow(oops, later today, actually) and I am gonna go ahead and have a complete flush and fill of my transmission instead of the recommended drain and topping off of the tranny fluid....i hope this will help both problems.....geespot

Old 09-24-2004, 01:54 AM

?!? The mounts? We do have liquid-filled mounts in our car but I don't think they're like, active hydraulics or anything.

Jase aka Doogie
04 G35S

Old 09-24-2004, 06:47 AM

Mine didn't do it for maybe the first 12K miles. Then it was doing that for a while but seems to have stopped it now. I don't know I was 100% sure when I first felt it that it was the Torque Converter locking up.

Also if I am on slight hill trying to go forward slowly (entering my garage) I'll get this stutter ... does anyone else get that?

But overall going from a Chrysler product with an ultradrive tranny to this auto I'd have to say the Infiniti is a 100% improvement. I like the way it shifts very tight.

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

Old 03-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Trans slip

Any update yet? What does the "reset" involve and would it be something to do? or will the "adaptive" aspect eventually correct it to my driving pattern? I am looking at a few used 2004's and one exhibited these same indicators. I have not read (and I have searced) for "real" transmission problems, except for this string on slipping, in the AT models. I have noted the problems with the 6MT clutches and that concerns me if I could find a good condition used 2004. btw, I have had 2 cars (and audi 4000s and now a A6 with 142k and 182k) , both with the original clutch.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:50 AM
I have the same issue for about a year now. Did the ECU reset twice and nothing has changed. Still getting the stuter on the same road at the same speed. I now drive it in manual mode on those street cause I just can't take it anymore. Lately I been thinking about trade up to a 6MT or S2000 to save some gas and still have fun.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:12 AM
For all the people that is having this issue(including myself), did you all have aftermaket exhaust or intake of some sort on your Gs?

My Point is that this issue started couple month after my exhaust breaking in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission Slip